Roach bomb fumes ignited into an explosion so powerful that it cracked the side of a fourth-floor apartment in Jamaica Estates Sunday afternoon and lifted the tenant upstairs off her feet, fire officials said.
No one was injured in the blast, which shook the Saxony Hall high-rise apartment building, at 87-15 165th St., at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Deputy Chief Edward Kalletta of the Fire Department.
Errol Manjaro, a dress designer who lives in the damaged apartment, said he was returning to his fourth-floor studio after setting off three roach bombs the night before.
Just as he turned the key in the lock,
©1999 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.