Cambria Heights sensei charged in sexual assaults

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

A Cambria Heights martial arts instructor has been charged with sexually attacking two of his tae kwon do students, the Queens district attorney said last Thursday.

Queens DA Richard Brown said Paul Edwards, 35, the owner of Edwards Tae Kwon D o Academy at 201-06 Linden Blvd. in St. Albans allegedly sodomized one boy and sexually abused the other in separate classes.

Edwards, who lives at 232-11 Linden Blvd. in Cambria Heights, is charged with sodomy, sexual abuse and forcible touching and endangering the welfare of a child, Brown said. If convicted of the charges, he could face up to 25 years in jail.

“The defendant is alleged to have preyed upon two youngsters, whose parents had entrusted them to his care, and sexually attacking them when he was supposed to be teaching them self-defense skills,” Brown said. “As a result of the defendant’s conduct, the victims have lost their childhood. Hopefully, they are able to recover over time from the deep trauma that they have suffered.”

According to the district attorney’s office, Edwards allegedly sexually abused one boy, now 12, from August 1999 through February 2002. The DA said Edwards’ attacks consisted of oral sodomy, forcible sexual touching and sex abuse.

Edwards allegedly attacked the second boy, who now is 13, from January through May 2002, the district attorney’s office said. He is alleged to have forcibly touched the boy sexually through the boy’s clothing.

Most of the alleged incidents took place at Edwards Tae Kwon Do Academy, the DA’s office said.

Edwards is being held pending his arraignment in Queens County Criminal Court.

R.L. Black, president of the R.L Black Income Tax Service, which is two doors down from Edwards Tae Kwon Do Academy on the store-lined block, said Edwards appeared to be a solid member of the community.

“The only thing he did was to take kids on picnics and keep them off of the street,” he said. “All he did was help the kids in the neighborhood.”

Black said he never saw a child with Edwards late at night and there were no complaints from parents or from the people in the community since the shop opened around 1989. He said Edwards has never caused any trouble on the street.

But Black questioned why was Edwards arrested and charged with a crime when there are 2,000 to 3,000 priests around the country who have admitted to sexual abuse of children and are not locked up?

“Because he was a black man,” he said, answering his own question. “In most cases, a black man is considered guilty until proven innocent even before they go to a grand jury. You are guilty whether or not you are.”

Reach reporter Adam Kramer by e-mail at Timesledgr@aol.com or call 229-0300, Ext. 157.

Posted 7:07 pm, October 10, 2011

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

J mac from Cambria Heights says:
yea I rememebr this incident, I was one of his students. he did alot of sketchy things with us including
: leg massages, letting us see his basement when he was supposto drop us straight at the dojo, and tickling at his martial arts "sleep overs". he also had issues with other students which weren't notified to the police but handled privetly. I was to young to understand back then but i'm glad he served his time
Nov. 24, 2012, 8:36 pm
Anonymous from South side says:
What the hell is R.L. Black talking about . Y'all wanna know who the second lil boy is ??? Me I'm 24 now and Paul Edwards messed my life. The first boy is my cousin and he screwed my cousins life up worse than me. I was smart enough to catch on to Edwards antics and stopped showing up to classes. He threatened to not promote if I didn't attend class. I took that as a threat and told my mother and we put that sick bastard behind bars. I always told myself if I ever cross paths with Paul Edwards again in life I was going to kill him so we can break even for what he did to me as a child.
April 5, 2013, 2:46 pm
Ms. D from St. Albans says:
I want to know where he is at right now! Because there are others that he molested who did not speak up! But now they are! He needs to go back in jail with fresh charges! I feel robbed as a mother not being able to kick his ass for touching my child!!!
Aug. 11, 2013, 2:26 pm
AMEEER from Queens Village says:
Don't have a clue where this sick guy is but all I hope & pray is that No aone ever has to deal with this EVER Again!! I went to this school at the time & felt VERY uncomfortable during many different occassions. This guy always wanted boys to hang around for sleepovers; Thank GOD I didn't go but I already had my share of abuse. Rather small in comparison to the others but I just pray No One else will become a victim.
May 30, 2014, 5:43 am
Rashida says:
I was also a student here and he always did sketchy stuff!! I'm just glad that suck bastard is out of business!!
Oct. 18, 2014, 3:43 am
Anonynous from Elmont says:
I went to that school also, I'm 27 now and he def did a lot of sketchy stuff when I think about it now, leg massages and touching of the inner thigh and tickling.... I'm glad he got caught and I'm glad I didn't get abused like the others who got it severely, Shame on him!
Feb. 1, 2015, 4:35 pm
anonymous from queens says:
I went there with my cousin's we all was black belts and fought St mist if the tournaments never would exspect he was doing funny stuff like that I'm glad he got caught hope are defensive martial arts stature dosent get disapproved because of Paul Edwards
June 21, 2015, 2:01 pm
Paul Edwards is Guilty from St. Albans says:
He tickled, he touched, he fondled, he rub. He is guilty. Hate this guy and more pissed I was too young to do a damn thing about it
Aug. 13, 2015, 2:18 pm