Gay Flushing man loses battle against Yankees

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

A Flushing man who claimed the New York Yankees fired him from a clubhouse position with the team because he is gay has lost a battle in state court.

Paul Priore, 39, of Flushing, filed the $50 million suit against the Yankees in 1998, one year after he lost his job, said his attorney, Edward Pavia.

On May 29, the state Appellate Division’s First Department unanimously backed the Yankees’ motion to dismiss the case. Pavia said he filed a motion to reargue the case.

In 1996, Priore started working with the Yankees as a clubhouse attendant, responsible for cleaning uniforms and keeping the clubhouse in order, Pavia said.

Priore had been coming to the clubhouse for years, since his father was clubhouse manager, his attorney said.

During his year of formal employment, Priore was harassed by three Yankee players, Pavia said.

“He was subject to ongoing sexual harassment,” Pavia said. “Verbal as well as physical.”

The Yankees did not return calls for comment.

When Priore complained to Yankees management, they did nothing, Pavia said.

After discovering Priore was gay and HIV-positive, the Yankees fired him from the organization, Pavia said.

Priore’s father, Nick, was fired shortly after the Yankees cut his son from the team, Pavia said.

But the appellate court found that other than Priore’s own testimony, there was no evidence that the Yankees knew of the alleged harassment.

“Accordingly, the management ... cannot be held vicariously liable for condoning a situation ... about which they were not only unaware but had no reason to suspect,” Judge Richard Wallach wrote in the decision, Newsday reported.

Priore has worked odd jobs since his firing and is currently unemployed, his attorney said.

Priore was seeking more than $50 million in the suit, Pavia said.

Both Pavia and Martha Flores Vazquez, a Flushing Democratic district leader and friend of Priore, said he has become depressed in recent years.

“I hope things get better,” Vazquez said. “I am very concerned at this point. Justice must prevail. It doesn’t matter if you are the Yankees.”

Reach reporter Alexander Dworkowitz by e-mail at Timesledger@aol.com or call 718-229-0300 Ext. 141.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Paul Priore from Flushing, N.Y. says:
Ms. Andrea W. Evans-Chairwomen NYS Board of Parole
Mr. Brian Fischer-Commissioner NYS Board of Parole
97 Central Avenue
Albany, New York 12206
November 11th, 2012

Dear. Ms. Andrea W. Evans:
Dear. Mr. Brain Fischer:
I am taken this opportunity to ask you not to release former New York Comptroller Alan Hevesi from jail until he finishes serving his full sentence.
As a tax payer, I was one of the people who voted him in to his elected office.
Mr. Hevesi was entrusted by the people of New York tax payers to fulfill his duties and obligations of his elective office by doing the right things and for saving the tax payers unnecessary spending and loses of monies.
Mr. Hevesi has betrayed our trust in him and used his authority for his own personal piggy bank as well as for members of his immediate family.
Mr. Hevesi was found guilty for stealing tax payers monies and using it for his own purpose, he should not be allowed or rewarded to get away with that or get a slap on the wrist, by letting him out of jail earlier then is recommended, by letting him out of jail earlier only will sends out a clear message to other elected officials and criminals that you can get away with breaking our laws that are in place for a reason.
Please do whatever it takes and is possible to keep him in jail and make him stay in and serve his full sentence time without the possibility of parole or time served.
These elected officials and criminals must understand that if they do the crime, they will do the time.
To many elected officials and criminals get away with too much and this practice needs to change right here and now.
So again, I am asking you not to consider releasing Mr. Alan Hevesi from jail until he serves out his full sentence.
I look forward to hearing back from you or one of your staff members regarding my corresponding to you about the above matter of concern.
Thank You in advance for your anticipated response.
Sincerely,
Paul Priore
(Community Activists and tax payer.)
Nov. 14, 2012, 1:54 am
Paul Priore says:
Re: New York City and other States that were affected by Hurricane Sandy:

This is Our Own version Hurricane Katrina.
I just can’t fathom why it is taken our elected officials so long to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy to get back on their feet and rebuild?
These buffoons politicians constantly preach about caring about their constituents, but rarely do anything to help people unless, it is an election years or if they are looking for donations.
We all should’ve learned from Hurricane Katrina years ago, but still no one seems to get it.
These people shouldn’t have to be living like animals, something needs to be done very fast.
All these insurance companies should be held accountable and pay the money that is due instead of trying to cheat their clients.
The elected officials should pass some laws to insure that all insurance policy holders get paid everything they are entitled to and prevent these insurance companies from playing games with people.
Force your elected officials to do the right things and make big business be held accountable for their actions.
These are my own opinions and beliefs.
Thank You.
Sincerely,
Paul Priore
Feb. 8, 2013, 1:36 am
Paul Priore from Queens, New York says:
To all concerned about the recent Supreme Court ruling on legalizing gay marriage.
A very sad day in America’s History.
This Supreme Court ruling will undoubtedly cause more harm than good, the Supreme Court has destroyed and robbed the very foundation of traditional marriage and has single handedly destroyed society as we know it.
As an openly gay man, I am extremely disappointed and outraged by this gay marriage ruling.
Now the Supreme Court ruling will force churches of all faith to preform same sex marriage, whatever happens to separation of church and government?
I also didn’t see anything in this recent Supreme Court ruling that includes gay people who were married by civil unions, will this new ruling include civil union partners, I say no way.
Now the same sex marriage bill will leave the doors open for other such groups who feel they also have a right to their own beliefs, such as petrifies who feel that they too will have a right to go after children legally and then you have those who like having sex with animals.
You will also have a bunch of illegal immigrants pretending they love someone, only to gain legal status by marrying their gay partners and divorcing them and taken all their money and how will he divorce courts determine who is the man and women in an divorce proceedings
Before gay marriage was even introduced to the world, everyone was under the impression that gay people were deviants and perverts and no one wanted to believe otherwise, unfortunately for some this is proving true, I know this from my own personal observations of how some gay people act in public by having sex in our parks within five feet of women and children and others at night time hours and some gay people have the audacity to take it upon themselves and grab men without even knowing if they are gay or interested and then some wonder why they get assaulted, this type of behavior will undoubtedly continue even more so now that the supreme court recognized gay marriage.
You will even see an increase in assaults and killings against gay people from this recent ruling.
When you force an issue down people’s throats, there is bound to be backlash and resentments.
We might as well throw out the complete constitution, because it’s no long worth the paper it’s written on.
Our Founding fathers must be turning over in their grace after this recent travesty of justice.
These are my own personal opinions and beliefs.
Sincerely,
Paul Priore
June 30, 2013, 1:09 pm
Paul Priore from New York City says:
Re: The Eric Gardner and Michael Brown tragic deaths:
It was a terrible tragedy that both men had to die.
We must move forward and learn from these senseless tragedies and to work on changing the stigma of the minority communities.
We must work on changing the fears that most people have with the minority community.
We must all learn to get along as one people, not separations of many people.
The Police departments across the country and around the world have a very difficult time trying to maintain law and order for all.
When anyone is stopped by law informance, don’t resist, and just let them do their jobs, thereby putting a stop to senseless abuse and deaths.
The so call advocates for the minority communities needs to get the message out to all the minorities people by stating that everyone should learn to get along with one another and not try to find an easy way to get a head by committing criminal acts.
We must first teach every race to live and except one another and treat everyone the way they want to be treated.
We must first educate the minority community and help everyone to live productive lives; education is the key solution to harmony.
For far too long, most people are afraid of the minority community members, because every time you turn on the television and read a newspaper, you see many minorities committing criminal acts, that needs to change here and now and find out why some minority people commit criminal acts, is it because of lack of education, or environmental upbringing or both?
Everyone’s lives matter no matter what color, race, religion, sexual persuasion, gender, handicap or otherwise.
I have many relatives and friends who are of minority persuasions and I treat everyone as my equal.
Yes, it is your constitutional right to protest as long as you don’t infringe on other people constitutional rights.
Don’t go out looting and being destructive, it never achieves anything but create more problems.
I hope my words of encouragements will help all people to think before you act.
These are my own personal opinions and beliefs.
Thank you for taken the time to read my post.
Sincerely,
Paul Priore
Dec. 4, 2014, 11:41 pm
Paul Priore from Flushing, Queens, NY says:
January 9, 2015

Hon. Congressman Elijah E. Cummings
2230 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Hon. Elijah E. Cummings,

My name is Paul Priore, and I am a former New York Yankees clubhouse attendant.

I've written a controversial tell-all book, entitled Abused by the New York Yankees, about my various experiences working for the Yankees.

Here is the book's website:

www.abusedbytheyankees.com

The book goes into many details of the organization's duplicitous business practices.

Every factually described event narrated in the book is 100% true.

I have left no stone unturned.

The book is based on matters which I personally overheard, witnessed, experienced, or was otherwise made privy to.

After both of you have had the opportunity to read the entire book, I respectfully request that you conduct a full, fair, and unbiased investigation into all aspects of the contents which you feel reflect a violation of Federal law, New York law, or generally accepted standards of ethical conduct.

In fact, I would welcome a Congressional hearing in which the people mentioned in the book, many of whom are still alive, are subpoenaed to give relevant testimony.

You may hear things which point out the need for additional Federal oversight of Major League Baseball, in general.

Back in the 1990s, I brought a lawsuit against the Yankees, three of their players, and the general manager, in an attempt to get justice and financial compensation with respect to an unjust dismissal and discrimination.

Despite the fact that a lower court judge in the Bronx viewed the case as being appropriate for a jury trial, an appellate court in Manhattan overturned that decision, and, subsequently, New York's highest court, the Court of Appeals, declined to hear the case.

Here is a link to the appellate court's decision:

As has been fully explained in the book, it is my view that (the late) George Steinbrenner and the Yankees were able to use their influence to get the appellate court to block a jury trial out of their fear that the truth would be exposed.

The trauma and horror of my ordeal has bothered me, to this very day, to get the complete truth out there by any means possible.

Someday, I hope to be able to move on from the constant horror and trauma that I still experience each day.

I will look forward to hearing from you, or your designees, especially, if you decide to pursue a Congressional hearing based on information that came to your attention from your reading my book.

I would like to receive the justice and satisfaction that are way overdue me, and I really need your help in doing so.

At the end of the book, you will learn that I took a computer voice stress analyzer test (which I like to call a "truth test") and passed it with flying colors.

Why did I take such a test?

It's because I have spoken the truth since Day One, and continue to do so today.

Thank you for having taken the time to read this email.

I hope both of you will also read the book from start to finish, and will consider conducting the Congressional hearing referred to above.

Sincerely,

Paul Priore

Cc My Co-writer Mr. Gary Toushek
Jan. 13, 1:42 pm
Paul Priore from Queens says:
To all concerned:

My name is Paul Priore, and I am the former New York Yankees clubhouse attendant who was mentioned in Dylan Vox's article.

I'm the coauthor of a tell-all book about my life and experiences working for the New York Yankees.

I've included a lot of detail as to what happened to me.

I would encourage everyone to look at the book's website:

www.abusedbytheyankees.com

If you choose to purchase the book, "Abused by the New York Yankees," I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I've exposed many things about the Yankees organization and a majority of the baseball players who were team members in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

I've left no stone unturned.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul Priore

(ex-NY Yankees clubhouse attendant)
Jan. 30, 4:41 pm