|Print this story||Permalink|
Parents are taking to the street to protest the states refusal to increase funding to city schools by billions of dollars. On January 31 at 3:30 p.m., demonstrators will gather at the site of the former Magen David Yeshiva, located at Avenue P and Stillwell Avenue, to lambaste the state for failing to comply with the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE) ruling. They will also demand that Governor George Pataki finally release the money a judge said the underfunded city schools deserve an extra $5.6 billion in operating funds over the next four years and $9.2 billion over the next five years for capital projects. The Magen David site is the perfect location for the rally since it is one of 80-90 projects citywide that may be dropped on April 1. Thats because without the CFE money, the city Department of Education (DOE) has only half of the funding necessary to complete the school construction projects outlined in its $13.1 billion capital plan. Earlier this month, parents and educators were shocked to learn that the $68 million Magen David project, which they believed was ready to go, was on the chopping block. The news was especially startling considering the DOE already purchased the land where Magen David once sat and the buildings on the site are now being demolished. The plan was to create a school housing grades kindergarten to eight. Several other projects outlined for Brooklyn are in danger of being axed. One of these projects has been in the planning phase for quite some time. Sunset Park High School has been in the works for years and years and years, said Carlo Scissura, president of District 20s Community Education Council (CEC). That has been put on hold. With 1,600 seats, the school was expected to alleviate overcrowding at nearby high schools, including Fort Hamilton, James Madison and Midwood. Each of these three schools is at least 60 percent overcapacity, according to DOE data. Plans to create three additional schools in Brooklyn one at East 107th Street and Avenue J and two others in the Family Court building at 283 Adams Street are also resting on the CFE funding. This is the second year in a row that the DOE expected the state to provide CFE money for construction projects and the second year in a row that the state failed to do so. Last year, because there was no CFE funding, the city dropped several projects and did not put them back in this years capital plan, Scissura said. Its very scary how much has been lost, he said. While many parents have solely blamed the state for the lack of CFE funding for city schools, Scissura said part of the fault lies with the city. Asserting, Its not fair to place all the responsibility on the state, Scissura said that when outlining funding sources for projects in the capital plan, the city should not have factored in CFE funding since the chance of actually getting that money was slim. Im outraged at the Department of Education, he said. The capital plan is a joke.
©2006 Community Newspaper Group
|Print this story||Permalink|
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.