A home health aide caring for 77-year-old Maria Marcello called 911 just before 11 a.m. on Jan. 10 because the attendant was outside the home and no one was answering the door, according to Detective Theresa Farello, a police spokeswoman.111th Precinct Officers Jessica Carro and Young Choe arrived minutes later and saw smoke inside the house around the windows and the door. When Sgt. Edward Masters pulled up in the next car, he determined that they needed to get into the home as soon as possible."They checked the house. They noticed smoke was coming out," Masters said. "I went up, smashed a window in and unlocked the door."Inside the smoke-filled first floor, they found Marcello lying on a bed in the living room, unable to get out."She was covered in black smoke," Masters said. "Her face was black." The officers carried her safely to the front door.Firefighters and medics arrived shortly after and revived Marcello. The Fire Department concluded that a faulty boiler was pouring out the smoke - mixed with potentially lethal carbon monoxide, police said.Marcello was taken by ambulance to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, which has a special treatment center for patients exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, Farello said. None of the officers involved were injured, and no one else was in the house.Masters, a veteran with more than 13 years on the force, praised his fellow officers. In addition to Masters, Carro and Choe, the responding officers included Sgt. Patrick Fitzgerald and Police Officers John Giuffre, Thomas Himbele, Michael Puleo, Michel Riservato and Frank Ciofrone."It was one good unit," Masters said.Reach reporter John Tozzi by e-mail at news@times
©2007 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.