EMT accused of refusing to help a pregnant woman is killed outside club

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Long Island City resident Jason Green, 32, one of two EMT dispatchers accused of refusing to help a pregnant Brooklyn woman who died of an asthma attack in December, was shot and killed in front of a Manhattan nightclub early Sunday morning, police sources and the New York Post reported.

The Police Department said there was no connection between Green’s shooting and the death of the Brooklyn woman in December.

There had been no arrests in Green’s shooting as of press time late Tuesday.

Green and a male friend had been attempting to enter Greenhouse, a nightclub on Varick Street, but the bouncers turned them away because Green’s friend was wearing shorts. Green, who lived in the Ravenswood Houses, and his friend called two women who had been waiting for them inside the club, the Post said.

The women joined the friend and Green, who became embroiled in an argument with an unidentified man, the Post said. The fight later moved across the street, the paper said, where two other men attacked Green.

The Post said one witness to fight claimed it started over a parking spot, although Green’s male friend did not hear of the argument over the parking spot.

Green fought off the three men before a fourth man came on the scene and shot Green, the Post said. The assailants — young men in their 20s — fled the scene in a BMW.

Police sources said members of Emergency Medical Services responded to a 911 call for Green at 5:03 a.m. When they arrived, they found he had been shot once in the face. They took Green to New York Downtown Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Post said Green’s friend was not injured.

According to reports from Courier-Life Newspapers, Green, along with Melisa Jackson, 23, were suspended without pay for a month after they went to an Au Bon Pain eatery in downtown Brooklyn Dec. 9, 2009, when they were off duty and allegedly refused to help one of the workers there — 25-year-old Eutisha Revee Rennix of Brooklyn, who had collapsed.

Rennix, who was six months pregnant, died at Long Island College Hospital a short time later. Rennix’s baby was delivered, but died two hours after. An autopsy a month later reported Rennix died of an asthma attack, Courier-Life said.

The probe into Green and Jackson, also a dispatcher, was still underway at the time of Green’s shooting.

The Post reported a fellow EMT worker said Jackson was devastated by Green’s death.

“Melisa is completely destroyed by this,” the worker told the Post. “She’s not handling it too well.”

There will be a viewing for Green Monday from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Thomas M. Quinn & Sons at 32-20 Broadway in Astoria. The service is at 7 p.m.

Reach reporter Rebecca Henely by e-mail at or by phone at 718-260-4564.

Updated 6:24 pm, October 10, 2011
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Community News Group