K-Rod charged with violating order of protection by texting his wife

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Disgraced New York Mets star Francisco Rodriguez appeared in Queens Criminal Court Wednesday morning to be charged with seven counts of criminal contempt for allegedly text-messaging his common-law wife in violation of an order of protection, the Queens DA’s office said.

Rodriguez, who goes by the nickname “K-Rod,” has been barred from contacting his common-law wife, Daian Peña, and her father Carlos Peña ever since he allegedly assaulted Carlos Peña Aug. 11 at Citi Field following a loss against the Colorado Rockies.

But he is charged with allegedly texting Daian Peña 56 times on seven different days since the order was issued by Judge Mary O’Donaghue Aug. 12, when he appeared in the court on charges of third-degree assault and second-degree harassment, according to Helen Peterson, a spokeswoman for Queens DA Richard Brown.

“I know this message could get me in trouble again, but I already lost you, my house and my children,” Rodriguez allegedly wrote in one of the texts. “Daian, I understand that perhaps I made a mistake, the biggest mistake of my life for doing what I did but I love you.”

He had to first turn himself in to police Wednesday before facing the charges during a brief court appearance, after which he posted $7,500 bail and was released that afternoon.

“He surrendered this morning to the Police Department assigned to the detective squad of the Queens DA’s office and he was charged with seven counts of criminal contempt,” Peterson said. “Then he went through central booking, was arraigned in court on the charges, posted bail and was released.”

Rodriguez — whose nickname reflects his skill in recording strike-outs, or “K’s” — faces up to two years in prison if convicted of all his charges, Peterson said.

Carlos Peña was taken on a stretcher to Flushing Hospital after the alleged assault with a frontal lobe hematoma, contusions and abrasions, according to Assistant District Attorney Kristen Kane.

“Once Mr. Peña came out into the hallway, the defendant started punching him about the head, jumped on him and started pummeling him,” she said in court last month. “It wasn’t until security guards heard the screaming that they were able to pull him off.”

Rodriguez, known for his hot temper on and off the field, has been in trouble before, according to Kane. She said an order of protection had been filed against him in Venezuela years ago, and another was filed in California a number of years later. Rodriguez used to play for the Los Angeles Angels.

Rodriguez was scheduled to return to court Oct 7.

Reach reporter Connor Adams Sheets by e-mail at or by phone at 718-260-4538.

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

This week’s featured advertisers

See all ads
CNG: Community Newspaper Group