Reddick returns to CB 12

Yvonne Reddick (l.) greets Community Board 12 members during her first board meeting following a serious car accident. Photo by Ivan Pereira
TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Community Board 12 gave a warm welcome to its district manager last week during its monthly meeting as she proudly stepped back into her position after spending five months recuperating from a serious auto accident.

The meeting at the Robert Ross Life Family Center in St. Albans was slightly delayed as board members and community residents took time to congratulate Yvonne Reddick on her return after she was seriously injured in April. Reddick was in high spirits and said the support from the neighborhood pushed her to get back on her feet and continue her service to the community.

“I would like to thank everyone for their prayers,” she said. “God is good and prayers change things.”

On April 7, the longtime district manager got into a cab to get to work when it was struck by an SUV that had just been stolen, police said. Reddick was ejected from the vehicle, which was parked and landed on the street. She suffered several injuries including broken ribs, a lacerated liver and hip damage.

She was hospitalized for less than a week at Jamaica Hospital and continued to recover from her injuries.

Several prominent Queens members visited her and sent Reddick messages while she was in the hospital, including City Councilmen Leroy Comrie (D-St. Albans) and Ruben Wills (D-Jamaica). Deputy Borough President Barry Grodenchik said he was amazed at Reddick’s positive attitude during her stay in the medical center.

“I went to see her a day after the accident in the hospital and there was not a hair out of place,” he joked.

Although she made a full recovery, Reddick said she suffered a serious setback when her mother died of natural causes over the summer. Nevertheless, the district manager said she is grateful her accident did not result in her leaving the board, which she has been a part of for 26 years.

“I always believe in miracles and now I know they exist,” she said.

During her absence, the board’s chairwoman, Jackie Boyce, had been handling Reddick’s duties and said she was happy to help out her friend during her recovery.

“As we move along, it is good to know that Ms. Reddick is back to work,” she said.

Reach reporter Ivan Pereira by e-mail at or by phone at 718-260-4546.

Posted 2:55 pm, September 29, 2011
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group