Let’s take a took at former city Schools Chancellor Joel Klein’s true accomplishments:
1. The appointment of his first deputy chancellor for instruction and then allowing her to impose discredited literacy and math programs and the fights over the requests of schools to be exempted from this madness.
2. The importation of Australian experts to try to work with American teachers on literacy.
3. The importation of English experts to impose quality reviews on schools not having any idea of what makes an American school tick.
4. The letter grades of schools based on meaningless, flawed exams.
5. The change in funding of teachers from one in which each teacher is budgeted at the average cost of a teacher to the actual salary of the teacher and its ultimate effect on teachers displaced by schools being closed, with principals not taking on senior teachers.
6. The cadre of inexperienced principals, products of the Leadership Academy, few of whom would know a good lesson from a poor one.
Thanks, Joel, for a job poorly done. Your destruction of the school system will live on long after your departure.
©2011 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.