Mother mourns slain son after S Rich Hill murder

Carol Kyte holds a picture of her son, Keith Frank, who was killed last month by gunfire outside a party. Photo by Christina Santucci
TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Police were searching for the man suspected of killing 20-year-old Keith Frank last month in a flash of violence outside a South Richmond Hill party that left an 8-month-old girl without a father.

Keith Frank, who moved to Queens from Guyana when he was 12, died exactly two months before his 21st birthday after he was shot once in the torso at around 4:45 a.m. Dec. 11, according to the NYPD.

Police were looking for a man named Troy Thomas in connection with the shooting, according to Frank’s mother, who saw a wanted poster in the lobby of the 106th Precinct.

Frank was attending a birthday party near 132nd Street and 109th Avenue and ran into some other men with whom he had a ongoing beef, according to his mother, Carol Kyte.

“You wouldn’t believe how stupid it is. It’s just about dancing and girls,” she said in an interview in her home. “Everybody said this is a senseless killing.”

In the future, someone will have to sit down Frank’s daughter, Keyanna, and explain to her what happened, but for now Kyte only knows that a group of other Guyanese men were at odds with one of Frank’s friends over sophomoric quibbles like break-dancing or the attention of girls in the neighborhood.

“They think they are so macho,” Kyte said, shaking her head.

Frank’s life in Queens began at MS 8 in Jamaica. He then attended Franklin K. Lane High School for a time, but eventually transferred to Queens High School of Teaching, Liberal Arts and Sciences in Glen Oaks.

He worked a series of jobs after graduating, and at the time of his death was picking up and dropping off laundry from nursing homes all over the state.

“He was just a fun, nice guy,” his mother said.

Though no Amare Stoudemire, Frank loved basketball and was a die-hard New York Knicks fan, often making outrageous bets with his family that rarely ended in his favor, Kyte remembered with a smile.

But he played cricket well and was a pitcher for his team, which garnered him a trophy.

He recently moved in with his girlfriend and their daughter, but Frank never even heard her speak her first words, according to Kyte.

“He couldn’t wait for her to walk and talk,” she said. “And now he doesn’t have the chance to do that.”

Frank was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery days after the murder.

Kyte, in a final motherly act, dressed her son at the funeral home before the ceremony. Cutting some of his clothes and fitting them on his body, she could not get over the tiny hole in his side.

It might have even been overlooked by someone else, but was the cause of death.

“It was so sad. He was just lying there,” she said. “That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my 40 years.”

Questions still remain about the December night. Her son was shot about a mile from Jamaica Hospital, a 3-mile trip. But when the ambulance arrived he was taken instead to New York Hospital Queens, about 6 miles away.

Kyte has also been hearing rumors that Thomas, who is wanted in connection with the killings but has not been formally charged with a crime, has fled to Miami or all the way back to Guyana.

“I just hope and pray they get this guy,” she said. “I don’t know what would possess a human being to do this to another human being.”

Frank left behind an older brother and two younger sisters, which made Christmas — one less person at the dinner table, unused Monopoly pieces — that much harder for the family.

“It’s not the same anymore,” Kyte said, adding that Frank’s 10-year-old sister had nearly shut down in the wake of her brother’s death. “She’s not the same anymore.”

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Posted 5:58 pm, January 4, 2012
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

anita from richmond hill says:
I think troy thomas should do the right thing and turn himself in to the police, so the poor family of this young man can have some kind of closure and reassurance that he is not on the streets doing the same thing he did to this young man.
Jan. 9, 2012, 8:40 am
DevastatedGT from East Flatbush says:
Moon does run till day light catch am. The family of this young man, should seek into his where about's and get the proper Authorities involve. May Keith's soul rest in peace, and to the readers, remember to keep this family in prayers.
Jan. 10, 2012, 9:35 pm
Devastatedcousin from Guyana says:
I suggest you post a picture of this guy if its ok by law. That way people can report if they should see him anyway. Just a suggestion.
Jan. 11, 2012, 4:06 pm
Guyanese star says:
this guy is in guyana enjoying life he is partying every weekend he was seen on easter day on kitty seawall very sad.
Dec. 11, 2012, 8:41 am

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Community News Group