Today’s news:

Corona buildings evacuated after manhole fire releases CO

Con Ed workers and city firefighters flood a manhole with water on 102nd Street in Corona to keep faulty wiring from reigniting. Photo by Phil Corso
TimesLedger Newspapers

A manhole fire early Friday morning led to the evacuation of three buildings on 102nd Street in Corona because of concerns over carbon monoxide, fire officials said.

Consolidated Edison and the FDNY were on the scene Friday morning tending to the manhole, which 52nd Battalion Chief Gene Marmann said might have caught fire due to aging electrical wires.

No injuries were reported.

According to Marmann, the manhole in front of a house at 33-26 102nd St. erupted in flames around 3 a.m. Friday morning because of old wiring, resulting in carbon monoxide emissions coming from underground. Firefighters were checking CO levels in surrounding buildings and Con Ed workers were on the scene throughout the morning.

The fire was originally reported around 3 a.m. Friday, Marmann said, and was extinguished soon after. He said the Fire Department received another call around 8:30 a.m. reporting a high level of carbon monoxide in the buildings. Residents of the buildings were evacuated around 8 a.m. Friday, but were permitted back inside by 9 a.m., officials said.

Con Ed workers were trying to flood the hole with water to extinguish any remaining smoke emanating from the wires.

Fire officials declared the surrounding buildings safe by 9:30 a.m. Friday morning.Reach reporter Phil Corso by e-mail at pcorso@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4573.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group