Cardozo coach’s punishment by league unreasonable

Cardozo's Kyle Credle (r.) looks to get around Jefferson's Rachard Moody. Photo by Ken Maldonado

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

The Judges boys’ basketball coach was unfairly suspended for two playoff games for throwing the runner-up plaque after his club’s controversial Queens title game loss to rival Bayside. A clear foul wasn’t called on an Omar Williams three-pointer with Cardozo down just one with seconds left to play.

Coach Ron Naclerio sat out the Judges’ overtime win over Kennedy in the second round of the PSAL AA city playoffs and its heartbreaking 64-60 overtime loss to Thomas Jefferson in the quarterfinals Saturday. His players wanted him there.

“I’m really disappointed in the PSAL after all the years he’s given to them that made the PSAL stronger,” senior guard Kyle Credle said.

The over-excitable and high-energy coach paid too big a price for losing his cool in a moment of frustration. Naclerio didn’t fling the plaque violently. The sound of it hitting the hardwood floor was still unmistakable and he got into a short yelling match with a PSAL official afterward.

People have gotten less for doing worse. Simply being ejected from the contest would have cost him just one game by league rules. That would have been fair.

“For him not to be here for [the senior’s] last game is a little hard,” said red-eyed Cardozo assistant Coach Michael Blisset.

Two weeks ago, Naclerio had scouted Jefferson while Cardozo took on Kennedy. That day he got intermittent updates about his team’s game. He spent that evening listening to music and praying Our Fathers and the Prayer for Surrender on his drive from East New York to a function at Sylvia’s Restaurant in Manhattan. Later that night, he received a text saying Cardozo had won, allowing him to celebrate in the street.

On Saturday, Naclerio spent the day at home watching former Judges star James Southerland and Syracuse play Louisville. He cut off all communication about the quarterfinal.

This time when he turned on his phone, he saw that his team had not found success on the court. Still, his admiration for his kids was the same.

“I’m very proud,” Naclerio said. “There might not be a better way to lose.”

The Cardozo players did everything they could to extend their season. The Judges raced out to a 19-2 lead in the second quarter, only to see it wither away. Defeat in regulation seemed certain, but a late tip and a block in by Danny Janel forced overtime. Omar Williams couldn’t get a potential tying three-pointer to go down in the extra session.

“We are better than what people say,” Credle said. “Even though we went down, we went down with a fight.”

The Judges didn’t leave with the win or their coach back, but they earned the respect they were looking for.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Lou from Bayside says:
Should be suspended permanently. Cheats by openly recruiting playersin violation of PSAL regulations. Yet with all that cheating, still another season where he doesnt win. He got what he deserved!
March 8, 2013, 6:42 am
doctor from bayside says:
Recruiting of Jr. H.S kids is legal. Transfers from catholic schools want to go to Cardozo. They end up in college. Bayside's players on this team were recruited, so please get your facts straight HATER! Also ,if you ask Coach Semper, Naclerio has helped many Bayside players get into college. You can ask Semper point blank and he will tell you himself. He has called Naclerio personally many times asking him to help and he has. Of course, you being on the outside you don't know this!
March 8, 2013, 11:56 pm
Queens Hoops from Jamaica says:
Naclario is a dude that is misunderstood. He has helped so many kids, not only kids from Dozo but from all high schools. Last year in May and June he ran free clinics every Saturday at a park near Dozo for free. So many kids from rivals schools came and learned. Not one of them transferred to his school
March 9, 2013, 2:13 pm
Steve from Bayside says:
I have known Naclerio for more than 30 years. I played for Van Buren and even though he wasn't my coach he still got me on a college team.

Open your eyes about recruiting. Every great NYC team talks to kids about coming to their school. It is not about how the kids get to the schools it is about what happens when they get there. Naclerio helps them in all aspects, not just basketball. He cares about the kids on his team and off. He teaches life lessons as well. Finally he is there for them when they are done with basketball. I am 49 yrs old and he still offers help and guidance to me.

He is a great man.
March 9, 2013, 4:53 pm
40 projects from Southside says:
Naclerio is the best. Being from the 40 projects we never went to summer camps or anything. He brought 10-15 of us every summer to Pa. to play and get seen by college coaches. He has been the real life "White Shadow " for so many of us. I did not go to Cardozo. I went to bitter rival Andrew Jackson (Campus Magnet) Lou, who ever you are you must be blind or have no idea how much that crazy cracker Clario as he's known has done for all.
March 10, 2013, 9:41 am
John says:
He is a good guy. He really is there for the kids.
March 10, 2013, 9:54 am
Wasted talent from laurelton says:
I wasted my talent in high school Thought they were going to change the rules for me. My coach (I did not go to Dozo) didn't try to help me at all when I realized I needed help and asked him. I saw Naclerio one day. I was scared to talk to him.I heard he was really crazy. I got up the nerve to talk. He listened.He asked me questions, He gave me his number and I called. He got me into a college in California, a Juco ,then helped me go D@ back in the East. I owe him a lot. I probably would've been dead or in jail. I now have a good job, lovely wife and 3 kids. Don't ever speak BAD about that man
March 10, 2013, 8:51 pm
Wasted talent from laurelton says:
D2 is what is missing
March 10, 2013, 8:52 pm
Southside from Jamaica says:
Everyone in Queens knows you go to Cardozo , not because it is a good school, which it is or because of their basketball team, which is top flight but you go there because of the one man who sees good in all kids Coach Ron Naclario. Still doing his thing years later!
March 10, 2013, 8:55 pm
Outar from Hollis says:
Lou from Bayside should get smacked. So many ppeople gave up on me along the way. I even gave up on myself. Coach dragged and forced me to do good. You have no idea how many times he would come to my house trying to get me to do the right thing. Im in skool in Atlanta and not going to blow my chance that Coach did not have to do for me. Lou you deserve a can of ass-whoopin!
March 10, 2013, 8:58 pm
youngblood from ravenswood says:
I love the people who hate on people who do things that are positive for others. This is a joke. The PSAL shouldn't of done nothing to my man, he threw a plaque. So many, coaches would've done so much more to that lame referee. Coach, there are some haters, but you have way more admirers!!!
March 10, 2013, 9:01 pm
KCameareon from Ozone Park says:
The harder you work, the luckier you get. No one knows how hard Naclerio works with his team, his players and opposing players who ask. He is the real life version of the White Shadow . That crazy ass honkey has carte blance in the hood
March 10, 2013, 9:04 pm
Man n Hoops from Cambria Hgts. says:
I have gotten to know the coach of Cardozo. Before, I heard so many negatives, some positives. As I got closer to his program I see it really is just a case of people hating on someone when you get to know, is loved. The people who say negative things are people who really wish they or their kids played for him. He has touched so many. Now, i hear so many positive stories about him. Wish the haters can hear some of these!
March 11, 2013, 9:24 am
Mookie from Bricktown says:
Naclerio is an idiot. He really is. I mean that in a good way. The man knows more basketball than anyone in Queens. His basketball IQ is off the charts. Why in hell is he coaching in high school. He should be at St. John's or in the league. He has sent many and worked with many who have gone to the league. He should go to the league. He's that good! Then , he wouldn't have to listen to stupid clowns who don't know jack!
March 11, 2013, 9:28 am
MRS.Basketball from College Point says:
The PSAL was very unfair to Coach Naclerio. When the foul was not called, he din't do anything. He did not get a technical foul call. Later after the game , he was the first one to congratulate the Bayside coach and players. As this writer wrote he flipped the plaque near his bench, then gave a live interview with no cursing and said the referee is a good one but he missed the call. For someone who has given so much, he was given as harsh a penalty as people who were out of control .Yes, a second, a split second he had an outburst. If he did that in a game he wouldve been penalized a technical. That would've meant no getting thrown out and no suspension. Shame on you PSAL people.
March 11, 2013, 2:23 pm
MRS.Basketball from College Point says:
I might add , maybe Naclerio should start doing it the Brooklyn way where arrests, murder, punches, fights, diss your opponent, act cocky leads you to NOTHING!
March 11, 2013, 2:24 pm
Louie Gladdtern from Forest Hills says:
I've always said what gets you suspended in Queens, gets you to the Garden in Brooklyn. Lol Oh, Does race have anything to do with this one? Several people told me that if the shoe was on the other foot, a looking the other way would be protocol Black administrators and a where well respected coach for almost 30 years!
March 11, 2013, 2:28 pm
RMoses from Jamaica says:
I was at the game. Coach Naclario showed true sportsmanship when his team had a call go against them that was obviously a blown one. I'm really surprised at a suspension, much less 2 games. I didn't see what any of the fuss was about. A second where a trophy was flipped and made a noise. Please , the powers to be are a joke.
March 11, 2013, 11:55 pm
Perry from Douglaston says:
Imagine jay walking across the street, imagine a cop trying not to give you a summons, imagine the cop trying to arrest you for that. Well that's what happened. No judge, no jury But a bunch of hypocrites. i can't believe this. Who made this ruling???? i would like to know
March 11, 2013, 11:58 pm
BS Period from Bayside says:
I find out Lou from Bayside is someone who rips anything at Dozo. So, now we know his agenda. As far as the coach, he should walk away and tell the people to kiss his ass. I have followed a lot of BBall over the years, when does a misdeanor at best, become a felony??? was there due process????
March 12, 2013, 12:02 am
James B from Springfireld gardens says:
The PSAL just wanted to make an example out of him. He coulda and shoulda went bonkers when the referee blew the call. He did not at the call , the rest of the game, right after the game and walking back to his bench, it probably hit him and he exhaled some anger. Some lady talked ti his asst. coach and he got into that conversation. What happened to the referee who on replays you can see raised his right hand signaling the foul. He didn't exhale. Did Coach get a chance to explain? Probably, automatically guilty, throw him in jail. PSAL =Pathetically Stupid Athletic League
March 12, 2013, 11:38 am

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.