Victims of Hurricane Sandy who still cannot return home were given an extension to remain in temporary shelters this week.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved a 28-day extension to the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program, allowing eligible survivors of the storm to stay in participating hotels or motels.
The extension begins May 1, which had been the deadline for the last extension granted in April.
“Nearly six months after the storm, this program continues to be an essential resource for Sandy victims who still cannot return home, which is why we asked FEMA for an extension beyond the program’s usual six-month life,” Cuomo said. “This extension for the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program will give more time to those without a housing solution to find one.”
The new checkout date for those in the program is May 29. The governor said FEMA would call applicants to notify them of the new deadline.
To be eligible for the program, survivors must apply for federal assistance through FEMA by registering at disasteras
Reach reporter Steve Mosco by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 718-260-4546.
©2013 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.