Today’s news:

Fatal fire in Queens Village caused by electrical issue: FDNY

TimesLedger Newspapers

An electrical issue in the basement of a two-story home in Queens Village sparked a blaze that claimed one person’s life Sunday, the Fire Department said.

Firefighters pulled two people out of a home on Springfield Boulevard near Jamaica Avenue after responding to the all-hands blaze just after 2 p.m., the FDNY said.

Both victims rescued from the burning building were taken to Long Island Jewish Medical Center, where one was pronounced dead, fire officials said. The other suffered only minor injuries, according to the FDNY.

It took firefighters about an hour to get the blaze under control, and afterward fire marshals determined the fire had been started by an electrical issue in the basement.

The property was issued a permit in 199 to renovate a recreation room and bathroom in the cellar, records with the city Department of Buildings show.

Reach rep:orter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group