Doctor fatally hit by car outside NYHQ: Police

Police say Siu Lee, 55, was hit and killed outside New York Hospital Queens (pictured).

A 55-year-old doctor was struck and killed by a Mercedes Benz outside New York Hospital Queens Monday evening, police said.

Authorities believe Dr. Siu Lee of Woodbury, L.I., was crossing Booth Memorial Avenue at 141st Street when he was hit at 6:15 p.m. Emergency responders were called to the area, and Lee was taken inside NYHQ, where he was pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m., the NYPD said.

A spokeswoman from NYHQ said Lee was an attending pediatrician at the hospital for 15 years.

The driver of the 2002 sedan remained at the scene, and an investigation into Lee’s death was ongoing, police said.

Reach Managing Editor Christina Santucci by phone at 718-260-4589 or by email at timesledgerphotos@gmail.com.

Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
Visibility was terrible Monday morning! Pedestrians need to wear headlamps. I almost struck a pedestrian at about the same time Monday morning. She was wearing dark clothing. I turned my car and made a left turn. I was feet from killing her before I spotted her. Headlamps have an elastic band and are very effective . I know this as I own 3 of them. I carry one in each of my cars. Use your head people before its too late!
Dec. 10, 2013, 5:25 am
Maspethian says:
I concur with the previous poster. I also failed to see a pedestrian crossing while I made a right-hand turn, and almost struck them. I only saw them when they jumped out of my way. It was horrible visibility. My condolences to the family. I also commend the driver for remaining at the scene. So many hit-and-runs nowadays.
Dec. 10, 2013, 9:55 am
Matt from Whitestone says:
This is a tragedy.
Dec. 10, 2013, 11:50 am
New Yorker from NYC says:
If you can't see pedestrians crossing the street presumably with the right of way while you turn left, please leave your car at home.
Dec. 10, 2013, 11:54 am
Shocked from NYC says:
I seriously can't believe that commenters are casually admitting to gross negligence and then attempting to shift the blame onto a person legally crossing the street. It is YOUR responsibility to determine if it is safe for you to turn. If visibility is bad then SLOW DOWN. If it is very bad then stop driving.
Dec. 10, 2013, Noon
Sane Person says:
Are you people for real?

You want everyone who walks outside to wear a headlamp so you don't have to pay attention when you drive?

You "commend" this driver for not driving off after running over a human being?

You two are either masters of satire or you need serious professional help.
Dec. 10, 2013, 12:01 pm
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
There are headlights on cars and bicyclists have lights , so should pedestrians! I also feel drivers should wear helmets . Don't laugh at me. Race car drivers wear them. I'll be the first!
Dec. 10, 2013, 5:20 pm
jason from bronx says:
Dr. Lee was my had been been my kids' pediatrician their entire lives. They are shocked and upset by this. He was truly one of the good people.
Dec. 15, 2013, 10:34 pm
Mr opinion from Queens says:
I have been driving for years myself but i dont agree with what red the garbage man said. Drivers should slow down in low visibilty situations and stop driving with 0%. Be a responsible driver!!!
June 23, 7:38 am