Updated: Boyfriend charged in 22-year-old girlfriend’s shooting: DA

Police tape blocks off the Kew Gardens building as authorities perform an investigation. Photo by Sarina Trangle

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

A 30-year-old man was arrested on charges of attempting to murder his 22-year-old girlfriend after he allegedly told investigators initially that three masked robbers invaded his Kew Gardens apartment and shot her, authorities said.

Steven Diaz, who lives with girlfriend on 127th Street near Kew Gardens Road, faces charges of attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of marijuana and tampering with physical evidence, the NYPD said.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said the shooting has left the victim, Amanda Rivera, with brain damage.

“The young victim is presently hospitalized in critical [condition]. However, if her condition changes and she does not survive, the charges will be upgraded,” Brown said in a statement.

Authorities believe Diaz fired a shot at Rivera’s head with a 9 mm handgun between 4:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

He then allegedly dropped the weapon in the sewer and drove Rivera to Jamaica Hospital, the DA said. Diaz then allegedly told police that his girlfriend had been shot in the head during a home invasion, authorities said.

Police recovered 10 pounds of what they believe to be marijuana while arresting Diaz inside his third-floor apartment, according to the DA.

The couple had no prior record of domestic violence, according to the NYPD.

Reach reporter Sarina Trangle at 718-260-4546 or by e-mail at strangle@cnglocal.com.

Updated 5:54 pm, February 10, 2014

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

anon from queens says:
Is he legal here?
Feb. 11, 2014, 6:02 am
Joe Moretti from Jamaica says:
What do you expect. Look at the crappy low-class dwelling that. These types of dwelling always attracts the dregs of society.

Feb. 11, 2014, 6:40 am
Evie from Bronx says:
Amanda ma you will pull through this I love u
Feb. 11, 2014, 8 am
Jae Carter from Bronx NY says:
We met through her cousin which is my best friend, and all I can say is I am beyond shocked. How can someone do this to such a wonderful gold heart person who meant no harm to anyone. This world is crazy and I hope the person who did this pays for everything he has done and more. I wish you nothing but the best Amanda, my prayers, love and blessings go out to you, your family, and close friends. This is so heart breaking to hear, but I hope and I know you will pull through this. Keep your head up mama, cause I know deep inside your not ready to go. Positive thoughts always
Feb. 11, 2014, 3:35 pm
Jay from Bronx says:
@ Joe Moretti...what does the location have to do with the tragedy? People die everywhere...from Africa to Greenwich Village...the location doesn't take away from the loss of life. At a time like this, your first instinct shouldn't be to berade and insult. If you have nothing nice or at least intelligent to say, shut up. If opinions are like ——s, you're the biggest opinion I've ever seen.
Feb. 12, 2014, 11:09 pm
Teresa from Bush wick says:
Steven was always crazy had low self esteem he was always a control freak! It was just a matter of time he would have done something like this! And him shooting her and not calling for help and was just worried about himself just shows the type of person that poor girl was involved with! Smfh
Feb. 22, 2014, 3:11 am
Rashan from Elmont says:
Its actually a nice two family home. Its amazing how things like this brings out bias, bigotry, and racism.
Feb. 25, 2014, 12:01 am
Rashan from Elmont says:
@Jay, I could not agree with you more....
Feb. 25, 2014, 12:01 am
Peewee from Ridgewood says:
Steven is a good father, son and friend going thru hard times. My prayers go out to both families.
March 2, 2014, 12:18 am
Rivera from Bronx says:
Steven is a lowlife who shot a woman in the head. He deserves no sympathy. What he deserves is to spend the rest of his life in prison. PERIOD!
March 3, 2014, 3:42 pm
lisa from queens says:
@peewee how can be good father, friend and son when he shot someone in their forehead??
March 4, 2014, 1:38 pm
Melissa from Queens says:
Lisa, I would like to know who told you that it was the forehead I heard it was the back of the head
March 9, 2014, 2:55 pm
Neighborhood Watch Writer from Kew Gardens says:
It is interesting how the home is mentioned - referring to it as, "... crappy low-class dwelling..." adding that, " These types of dwelling(s) always attract(-s)s the dregs of society."

Well, Joe Moretti, you made a very interesting comment. I am familiar with the neighborhood and what is happening should be addressed and hopefully the government will step in as too much illegal stuff is going on in the neighborhood.

There are several homes throughout the city that have absentee landlords. They have turned their homes into room renting/boarding houses. So, one house now easily rents to several people. One room rentals are usually about $500. These transients can not rent apartments in apartment buildings because at close look, they are mostly here illegally or are prostitutes, drug dealers... The deterioration of these once lovely neighborhood is the result of the absentee home owners who rent to anyone who is willing to pay.... CASH.

I bet that many of us know about the houses in our neighborhoods that rent rooms for cash. It becomes repulsive to us when kids walk past the stink of pot. It becomes repulsive when strange men come in and out of these dwellings.

That particular area of Kew Gardens has mostly nice people. The problem is caused by the absentee landlords who rent rooms out and also caused by those who sell their houses to developers who turned the one family houses into multi-dwelling units - such is the case of the house where the shooting took place. Rashan from Elmont, it is not a nice 2 family home, I think the once single family home rebuilt is either a 6 or 8 family unit.

As far as the shooter and victim being nice... well... the folks in the neighborhood would not agree.

I hope god blesses everyone and I am sorry for all of the innocent people involved who got hurt. I hope you mom's teach your daughters to NOT get involved with guys who use or sell drugs or wave their money around. How about we be impressed by a man's good character?
March 11, 2014, 11:26 am
How dare u from Everywhere says:
To..NEIGHBORHOOD Watch..
You ignorant clueless moron!
Your so concerned with defending the neighborhood from a comment from another ignorant ass like you and instead you put out a hateful evil comment about the poor victim who was 22!! And got involved with a low life coward. Shame on you and all bad will follow you this day forward!!!!
March 11, 2014, 8:27 pm
To.NEIGHBORHOOD Watch.. from Every wherre says:
As a matter of fact you sound just like George Zimmerman you weirdo uneducated
Ass!!
March 11, 2014, 9:17 pm
Amanda mom from Queens says:
To neighborhood watch Mabey if u was watching this wouldn't of happened instead of writing and talking —— why didn't u do anything Everyone is worried about the house and neighborhood and not the real picture of a man who controlled and intemadateed my daughter You ——s need to get a life and education. Mabey
March 12, 2014, 1:36 pm
Amanda's Granny from Too All with ignorant comments says:
This horrible thing that happened to my beautiful Amanda has nothing to do with race, residence or any other stupid thing you want to blame. The only one to blame is this monster who shot an innocent young beautiful girl who had her whole life ahead of her. Amanda was too trusting and only saw the good in people - that was part of her beautiful personality and nature. She did not know she was dating a monster who was a narcissist and possessive to the point of obsession which is why he shot her. In other words, if he couldn't be with her - no one could. So everyone stop hating and commenting about things you know nothing about, especially about my granddaughter who is fighting for her life - she needs your prayers and love not your ignorant and hurtful comments that by the way hurt me and all who knew and loved Amanda.
March 13, 2014, 9:17 am
Abagail from Kew Gardens says:
The report indicates that the police found large amounts of illegal drugs in the home where the victim and offender resided. This leads me to believe that they were drug dealers. You get involved in the drug world, you live a dangerous life.
March 14, 2014, 11:49 am
lisa from queens says:
@ melissa, I read it somewhere on line.
March 15, 2014, 12:14 am
lisa from queens says:
@ neighborhood watch, u sound like dam idiot n totally clueless. Maybe if u could have watched as long as u can type then this wouldnt have happen. Totally missing the point. Get off this discussion.
March 15, 2014, 12:18 am
From everywhere says:
To Abigail..don't always believe what u read. That's pretty sad that you dont know that already.
March 15, 2014, 7:16 pm
Abigail from Kew Gardens says:
Hi everywhere. Are you suggesting that the 10 pounds of marijuana that the police found was planted there? Why would we think that the police would do such a thing when ordinary people are involved? Were the girlfriend and boyfriend the type of people who the police want to frame? Does that make sense? Anyway, this thread is very weird. Too many posts by dumb people. I guess this is what Queens has to deal with. We really should put a stop to immigration. Bye.
March 16, 2014, 12:25 pm
Rivera from The Bronx says:
Lowlife. Ignorant. Uneducated. Bias. If you think I am talking about you, I am. This has nothing to do with drugs, or immigration. It has everything to do with a monster passing as a human being who shot an innocent. If you can't see pass the BS, and keep your prejudices out of this, then you are just as bad as the type of person that would put a gun to the head of another human and pull the trigger.
March 17, 2014, 12:30 pm
Hello Abigail says:
Earth to Abigail... Earth to Abigail.. Not saying that. Saying that you think they both wre a part of it and you are wrong. He was a 30 year old man with a 22 year old girlfriend who got involved with a low life ——.
March 24, 2014, 9:53 am
jen from Brooklyn says:
Does anyone know how she is doing so many rumors did she pull thru
March 31, 2014, 9:49 pm
Me from Bronx says:
Yes Amanda is doing great... If you come to think about the life that Amanda had to live because of her no good mother.. She try to to everything she could for her little sister.. She always said that she was going to do whatever she had to do for for little sister, because she wasn't going to let her sister live the ——ed up life she lived because of her mother.. But she is doing good and one day she will get to take her sister and live the real great life..... Love you Amanda ....
Love:always. Me ......
April 4, 2014, 5:30 pm
Me from Bronx says:
Her mother and the boy friend are the monsters
April 4, 2014, 5:36 pm
jen says:
Steven is no good amanda should sue nypd cause he should have been off the streetz years ago if she decides to get a lawyer please let ne know
April 16, 2014, 4:30 pm
jen says:
All the people talking negTive men lie amanda mAy not have know what he was doing but the nypd should have taken him off the streets
April 16, 2014, 4:32 pm
Amanda mom from Bronx says:
This is to Me FROM THE BRONX Talk what u know and keep ur nose out my busy and if u think amanda is doing fine thats how stupied and out of touch with ur mind u are. What is ur name too scared to say who u are thats usually how low life gossipers live go get a life and leave mines alone haters keep hating I love it. Go suck a dick.
April 21, 2014, 1:21 pm
Ignorance is bliss says:
Honestly, none of you know anything. Anyone who thinks they know Amanda's conditions, doesn't know Amanda an clearly is going by word of mouth. It boggles my mind on so many levels that everyone in this damn artical aside from her relatives is so interested in a situation that had nothing to do with them. Their are woman married to correction officers that do Injust acts, woman married to men who have abused them for years...etc etc it has NOTHING to do with him being a drug dealer and her loving someone that chose that path. At the end of the day the trigger was pulled and it wasnt because of a drug deal, or anything to do with drugs. What it boils down to is that she innocently was spending time with someone who she thought she felt safe with, and as for who ever is talking about her mother; clearly has no idea...I wonder whose in the hospital everyday with her...oh I know...her mother. Low life this low life tht, the only low lives in this situation is the person who caused this to happen and the people that continue to run their mouths about things they have no buisness touching on the subject PERIOD. But I guess you all can pretend that you know things, you can live in your imaginary world where you think you have a place in this situation and her mother and her loved ones will continue to be the ones that care more about her well being and health than you conniving, illiterate, degrading, degenerates that have not the slightest clue of what your saying....TO BE CONTINUED xoxo #prayforamanda
April 21, 2014, 2:10 pm
For Amanda's Mother n family from Brooklyn says:
I do not know Amanda, but every now and then I check her story to see how she's doing, hoping and praying she pulls through. I believe that she survived this because she has a purpose on earth that GOD wants her to serve. May god bless her family and continue giving you the strengthen to be there for her. I will keep her and her family in my prayers. God bless!
April 29, 2014, 11:08 am
Fk outta here from Queens says:
She was one of those big booty bottle service girls who hung out at strip clubs. If you surround yourself with women who want to get plastic surgery to sell a $45 bottle for $500 , then something is wrong with you. If you're looking for love and find it within a drug dealer -- whether you do drugs or not serves no relevance -- then something is wrong with you. Granted you don't always know how someone will treat you in the long run, and no one, not even her shooter, deserves an uncalled for death, but girls like her go after guys like him, what did you think was going to happen? A fairy tale happy ending? Girls like her obviously don't respect themselves. No matter how secure they portray themselves to be on the surface, there's clearly a lot of deep damage. Self proclaimed "Bad ——es" don't get anywhere in life. You wanna be a bad ——, you're gonna end up with a bad boy who won't be scared to slap or shoot you. We all make our beds, and at the end we all gotta lay in 'em. I wish her, her family, and even her boyfriend all the peace that they're looking for.
May 9, 2014, 3:35 pm
to fk outta here from queens says:
The BEST part about your paragraph is that she WAS NOT a "bottle girl". so maybe you wanna reference that back to your source. secondly, whether she respected herself or didnt is none of your business and no one will ever know why she truly went that route. end of discussion. Dont all you spectators have lives? i dont understand why your so concerned with hers. please do us all a favor, and stop with the comments of ill intent, assuming, and rumors. you wont find the truth here, nor will you get the answers you all THINK you deserve.
May 15, 2014, 5:33 pm
me from queens says:
yes hes legal —— he was born and raised in ny
Aug. 10, 2014, 3:12 pm
me from queens says:
nobody knows if he did it or not dis is all a report the police told the press they have no evidence dat he shot her he is a GREAT father and son and he doesnt deserve life or any time in jail if there is no evidence f?u?c?k? all of ya who is talking s?h?i?t?
Aug. 10, 2014, 3:22 pm
Mel from Yonkers says:
I do not know Amanda personally, but my husband was friends with her back in middle school and high school and we recently just came across this story. Our hearts weigh really heavy for her and her family. We check her page often to see her updates and we're sending loving and healing thoughts and prayers their way. God bless.
Aug. 13, 2014, 9:22 pm
TO ME FROM QUEENS from BRONX says:
Nobody knows if he did it or not? lmao but darling, he put a gun to amandas head, and shot her . is he shot? no. amanda is. he tried not only to lie and cover up. but tamper with evidence. get your —— together if you gonna come on this and make allegations. but no proof right. talk to investigators...not press ma, i dont get my FACTS from PRESS. .get the fck outta here. talk —— on the stand. save your bullsh!it shenanigans for that...and his ALLIES need to stop comming on here tryna justify his sh!it. the gun shouldnt have been out in the first place. go eat a brick. .
Aug. 19, 2014, 9:11 am
Someone who knew her but didn't know her. from Brooklyn says:
How is Amanda doing ?
Sept. 26, 2014, 2:06 pm
Amanda's grandma says:
Thank you for asking, Amanda is still in a semi coma, and is not able to move in anyway, she lost half of her brain and is not able to speak or communicate. She has to be moved and massaged to she doesn't get spasms because she just isn't able to do anything for herself. All she does is stare straight ahead, but she does cry when she is in severe pain which is constantly. She is on pain medicine along with seizure medicine and numerous other medications to help her exist; she is also on a ventilator. She needs a miracle and lots of prayers, but we are not giving up on her. People have been commenting some foolish and ignorant comments so this is why I am writing this so maybe they can understand what we are going through and stop the negative comments and just pray for AMANDA
Oct. 5, 2014, 11:28 pm
Stephanie from Morris park says:
It breaks my heart to read these negative comments, im a friend of amanda's who loved and loves her very much! I would love to see and hold her and tell her that everythings gonna be okay . We can only be positive And dream big. Miracles happen all the time. I know that she will be okay .im going to continue to pray for her. I love you princess . Dont give up or lose hope . I love you manda
Jan. 7, 2015, 1:34 pm
Have faith God will never fail you says:
How is Amanda doing ? I'm really sorry that you guys have to go through this. No one should have to go through this.... Stay strong and know that God is with you.
Jan. 28, 2015, 4:59 pm
hoping she gets better says:
How is she? My prayers go out to her and her family. What are the stats on the boyfriend who shot her? Justice for amanda!
Jan. 31, 2015, 9:41 pm
Jasmine from Ridgewood says:
First of all I'd like to say that my prayers go out to Amanda and her family I pray to god that she pulls through a miraculous recovery. I also pray for Steven who is an amazing father friend and family member who made a devastating mistake in his life. A mistake that has sacrifices both his and Amanda's life as well as his two gorgeous sons.. No one in this situation is left unscathed .. Teresa from bush wick u make absolutely no sense he was a control freak so this is bound to happen that's absurd please shut up as for him not calling the cops maybe that's because he took her to the hospital because he was remorseful he was worried for her life he was sorry what do u know about him nothin .. Does anybody even know what he's done for her after all this I highly doubt it . I don't agree with his actions but I do know him n love him dearly and I know he's no monster he's a person that made a huge horrific mistake under the influence of alcohol and though I don't agree with his actions I will stand by him right wrong or indifferent ...I wish him and Amanda nothing but well wishes may god help them both for he is the only one who may cast judgement..May god bless Amanda and Steven
March 26, 2015, 9:20 pm
BUSKWICK GIRL from RIDGEWOOD says:
first of all steven is a great father no monster people comment with out knowing just assuming and wat there hear all he did was try and save her life i hope she gets better fast god bless her and my kids love there father steven he anit do notting and god will judge that when he home with his sons i know a mothers pain but down talking someone you dont know is bs grow up and if ya want to comment go ahead cause i know him best
March 31, 2015, 12:04 pm
bushwick knew from bushwick says:
I told the NYPD years ago Steven was a low life drug dealer they should have listened and took him off the streets good father ?!! He molested his step child no good n bueno
June 4, 2015, 9:09 am
bushwick knew from bushwick says:
Jasmine and bushwick girl he shot His mistress no? If he loved His kids he would not have a mistress he would not have a gun. He would not have drugs in the home good man goodfather evil pure evil
June 4, 2015, 9:13 am
bushwick knew from bushwick says:
I pray for her and her grandmother who stand by her always Get better Mandy we pray for you.
June 4, 2015, 9:16 am
stacey from antioch says:
My prayers go out to Amanda. Lord Jesus have mercy on her in Jesus name . Lord Jesus i ask for your highest legions of angels to come over her and heal her oh Lord in Jesus name. Lord i ask for your full on protection to be upon her and her family in Jesus name Amen
July 7, 2015, 8:18 pm
Middle school friend from Yonkers says:
Hey, was wondering how's Amanda doing? I pray the Lord heals her in Jesus name!! God bless her and her family.
Dec. 5, 2015, 3:43 am
bushwick girl from bushwick says:
where r you getting this bs from bushwick knew who you i know him what step daughter hood people love talking —— without facts smfh like i said before god will show light cause the street and news are full of —— and wat mistress lmfao people these day yeah im his kids mother and will always have his back cause hes a great dad so with that said ill be by his side till the end cause i know him best and god knows the truth
March 2, 2016, 11:13 am
some one who knows from spirit says:
listen, bushwick girl if you have any idea who you are married to you wouldn't be defending him. You would leave the country and save your children from the knowledge of ever knowing this maniac narcissist who thinks he can get away with all these evil things that he has done. Everyone that really knows this monster knows he's where he should be and should have been long ago. He has hurt enough people that you certainly are not aware of or maybe you are aware and are just like him. He needs to be stopped from being loose to hurt anymore and stop being the low life that he is dealing in drugs and killing. You think you're defending your man - well think again, nothing is going to save him because he is caught and nothing is going to save him - if he survives where he is going for a long, long, time - not long enough as far as the people he's hurt feel. It will all be proven soon enough!!!!!!
March 7, 2016, 9:59 am
izzolaw from bronx says:
update after a long wait steven "——" diaz's trial started yesterday. As a lawyer and family member i am happy to state that after reviewing the first day of trial his lawyer is just grabbing for straws!!!!!! It is only a matter of days before he comes to the realization that his life is over..... Furthermore, Amanda is still fighting for her life by pure will power. If anyone on this thread that previously commented wants to reach out to me please email me at izzolaw@gmail.com. Thanks and good bless.....
March 9, 2016, 12:55 am
Ano from Rockaway says:
If Amanda was such an angel and Steven was such a horrible person why would she involve herself with him and better yet why was she always in the clubs or half naked serving bottles but she's a saint? Pls cut the —— everyone sins and make mistakes and what happened here was a mistake but ppl don't need to try and downgrade Steven as a man or a father.
April 6, 2016, 9:19 am
someone who knows from spirit says:
ano, you need to stop defending and blaming the wrong person with your lies about amanda - who happens to be a saint. her saintly ways - is what put her in this situation all amanda did wrong was believe and trust a dirty drug dealing killer. you call what he did a mistake - I don't think so I call it more what a monster does when he does not get his way. She did not want to be with him because she saw who he really was. He lured her out of her home that day and she did not want to be with him, but he kept persisting - so she finally decided to speak with him in person and end it and that's what he decided that if she wasn't going to be with him that she wouldn't be with anyone. He planned this and this was not a mistake but an act of a monster who is used to getting things his way at any cost. So cut the crap by saying he made a mistake - I don't know what you call a mistake, shooting someone in the head is definitely not a mistake - it's called murder.
April 27, 2016, 8:01 pm
Wciaaw from queens says:
Okay, its over. If I have the information right, Steven has been acquitted on the attempted murder charge however is found guilty of criminal possession of 10 pounds of Marihuana and tampering with physical evidence.

What will happen to Amanda?
Sept. 28, 2016, 3:40 pm
nora, amanda's grandma says:
yeah! that's correct - bad prosecutor or paid off. All the evidence was there including the witnesses who lives in the apartment below - who said she heard them fighting and the murderer stopping her from leaving and even heard when she was shot and fell to ground calling for help. So know that if you want to shoot someone you may get away with it just like just ask for the prosecutor who failed amanda. All I know is karma is a —— sooner or later you pay for your sins. I don't wish harm to anyone, but it's just scary that someone like that will be out there in 6 or 8 years beware and stay as far away. I wonder how many times he's gotten away with hurting women - I know of a few who dated him and said that he also hurt them and even reported him to the police. I leave it in god's hands that are powerful and also vengeful when he sees fit. Justice for amanda who won't have a chance for life in 6 or 8 years.
Nov. 13, 2016, 1:08 am
Johnny Blaze from Queens NEW YORK! says:
He admitted to me that he did it. We was cell mates. We met while we was on the island (Rikers). He came back from court mad happy & stunned. He was the happiest person on earth even tho he Eventually got 10-12 years for the other charges & is in Clinton Upstate now. I decided to not be cheap & hired the same lawyer even tho I didn't murder anyone it wasn't has serious as his charges but I was looking at 5-14 years that same lawyer got me off. May God Bless Stephen G Murphy The Attorney!!! He is worth the money!!!!
Feb. 8, 7:51 pm
Nunya from New York, NY says:
I am absolutely stunned and saddened that Steven is capable of such a heinous crime! Although she did not pass away, he still took away her life! Thank God I walked away from that relationship long long ago. Too bad Amanda did not have the same opportunity.
Feb. 22, 9:37 am