>

Sections

42 hospitalized at wedding

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

George Quenneville, 28, and Sharon Strack, 22, of Albertson, L.I., were celebrating their marriage at Dante Catering at 75-07 31st Ave. when Quenneville's mother said she felt strange and collapsed, the New York Post reported.The leak was reported at 9:13 p.m., FDNY officials said. It took two hours to treat the victims and clear the scene, officials said.Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, is a byproduct of the combustion used to power automobile engines or heating systems. It can accumulate and cause dizziness or loss of consciousness. In extreme cases, people can die from oxygen deprivation.Of the injuries, 40 were minor and two were serious. The latter two were taken to Elmhurst Hospital.Fire officials said the poisonous fumes emanated from a dryer in the building's basement.Representatives for Dante Catering Hall declined to comment on the situation Monday afternoon, but the Post reported the catering hall had reimbursed the family for the wedding and was planning to install carbon monoxide detectors in the building. John Russo, owner of Dante Catering, did not return phone calls by press time Tuesday.The company's Web site described Dante Catering as "a family-owned establishment with over 40 years of experience." The catering hall can handle up to 400 guests, the site read.A 2004 state law mandates the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in all houses, apartments, schools, hospitals and nursing homes, but it does not require carbon monoxide detectors in commercial buildings like catering halls.Reach reporter Jeremy Walsh by e-mail at jwalsh@timesledger.com or by phone at 718-229-0300, Ext. 154.

Updated 6:57 pm, October 10, 2011
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!