A cigarette may have been the cause of a fire that killed a 76−year−old Auburndale man early Sunday morning, fire officials said.
The blaze erupted in the second−floor bedroom of a home at 46−29 190th St. at around 12:30 a.m. Sunday, fire officials said. The man’s name was not immediately released .
A neighbor who did not want to give his name said the man’s wife died about two years ago and his son died this year.
“The fire was up to the ceiling and the flame was up to the ceiling,” he said.
Neighbors said a homeowner living adjacent to the 76−year−old called 911, but he could not be reached for comment.
Another neighbor said he was awake and smelled smoke when fire engines arrived on the scene.
“They just starting busting everything up,” he said, referring to the FDNY’s effort to douse the flames.
He said the man mostly kept to himself after his wife died.
“He was a loner. He had a home health attendant. He always needed help doing everything,” he said.
The blaze was not deemed suspicious, fire officials said. A cigarette was the suspected cause of the fire.
Reach reporter Howard Koplowitz by e−mail at hkoplowitz
©2008 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.