Trevor Bell shooting suspect no stranger to stick-ups: Police

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Shawn Peace, the 22-year-old man charged with shooting a livery cab driver in South Ozone Park last month, allegedly robbed another driver in a similar fashion in November and has a history of sticking up fast-food restaurants around the borough, police said.

On Nov. 18, Peace and another suspect entered Omega Car Service, at 134-06 232nd St. in Rosedale, and asked for a ride to 173rd Street and 137th Avenue at 5:30 a.m., police said.

When the driver arrived at the intersection, police said, Peace pulled out a handgun and took the victim’s cash and cellphone, then stole his car.

He has been charged with five other armed robberies over the last seven months, in each case brandishing a gun and then stealing cash from restaurants including McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Popeye’s and Burger King, police said.

The brazen robberies began July 15, when Peace allegedly entered a McDonald’s in Glen Oaks, pulled out a gun and demanded cash. The subsequent robberies occurred in similar fashion, police said.

Police said Peace also hit a Wendy’s in Bayside Aug. 8 and a Woodhaven Burger King Nov. 19.

Peace allegedly shot the manager of a Rosedale Popeye’s in the hand after the man grabbed Peace in an attempt to stop him from making off with cash from the restaurant Aug. 19, according to police.

The livery cab stick-up is reminiscent of the violent attempted robbery of Trevor Bell, 53, whom Peace allegedly shot in the legs and neck Dec. 3.

In that case, Peace approached Big D’s Royal Car Service, at 117-02 Merrick Blvd. in South Jamaica, and requested a ride to 122nd Street in South Ozone Park, a dead-end street.

Police released a video from inside the car depicting the scene when they arrived. Peace appeared to get into an argument with the driver before shooting him and fleeing the scene, leaving Bell to bleed in his car, police said.

Peace was arrested in a Buffalo apartment Tuesday and charged with second-degree attempted murder, assault, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, according to police. In each of the six additional charges dating back to the July fast-food stick up, he was charged with robbery and, in one case, criminal possession of a weapon.

Bell is recovering at Jamaica Hospital, where he is able to walk with a cane. One bullet that proved too difficult for doctors to remove remains lodged in his neck.

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at januta@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Updated 10:42 am, October 12, 2011
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!