South Ozone Park dad killed as he waited for 4-year-old daughter

Don’t miss our updates:

A devoted father was shot and killed Friday morning as he waited outside South Jamaica’s 40 Projects to pick his young daughter up and take her to school, the victim’s grieving family said.

Kelly Mullins, 33, left his childhood home in South Ozone Park early in the morning and headed out to collect his 4-year-old daughter from the South Jamaica Houses where she was staying with her mom, Mullins’ grieving mother said.

“He was very, very close with his daughter,” Kathryn Mullins said of her only son.

Kathryn said Kelly was on the phone with his step sister waiting for his daughter, Kaylin, to come down when the gunman walked up to him and fired around five shots, hitting the father twice.

“He didn’t even get out of the car,” she explained. “It’s not like [the shooter] felt threatened.”

Police said they arrived on the scene just before 7 a.m. and pronounced Kelly dead. They had not identified any suspects as of Friday afternoon.

Kathryn said she did not know who the man was, but people told her they had seen him walking around with Kelly’s former wife, Cameo.

After six years of marriage, Kelly and Cameo decide to call it quits around two years ago, Kathryn said, and she described their relationship as on-again-and-off-again.

“She’s a good person, not a bad person,” Kathryn said, explaining that Cameo was not allowed to see her daughter while the police conduct their investigation. “She’s feeling it.”

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Updated 12:42 pm, June 3, 2013

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

burgess, maria from jamaica, n.y says:
This story is incorrect this man was NOT picking up daughter for school, because he was drunk. Furthermore, he was on parole for repeated domestic violence in which a order of protection was ordered! He terrorized his ex-wife for fifteen years! His own mother was extremely nonsupported of her wayward child!
June 1, 2013, 4:56 am
Shafran from Bayside, NY says:
How do you know? How do I not know you are intending to defame the character of this man?
June 1, 2013, 11:38 am
anonymous from queens,ny says:
Even if this man was abusive to his ex, that does not warrant him sitting in his car to be shot several times. This is a life. He was only 33 years old. He is a father, a son, a brother, etc. If he was already on parole all said wife had to do was call the authorities. Word on the curb is that the ex wife is as ratchet and ghetto as they come. Maybe the investigators need to look at Her and her BOYFRIEND. Every time someone does you wrong that doesn't mean we have the right to murder them. I hope they catch this person and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. My prayers go out to the child.
June 1, 2013, 12:31 pm
Anonymous from Brooklyn NYC says:
Karma bites like a mutha! I am positive that Ms. Burgess is correct in her comments. No one deserves to die, but when conduct yourself in a certain manner then the outcome can me fatal. And if the ex-wife is ratched, then he chose her so what does that say about his character? Pray for the families that are involved.
June 1, 2013, 5:11 pm
anonymous from queens,ny says:
What the hell are you talking about Anonymous from Brooklyn? Are you crazy? what do you mean karma bites like a mutha?
This man was murdered. I suppose if it was your family member you would think differently. It says a lot about her character as well to keep going to a man that's allegedly beating her ass and abusing her.We are not the judge nor the jury. We cannot go around killing each other because we were done wrong. The real victim here in this horrific saga is the child. The End!!!
June 1, 2013, 9:43 pm
Shafran from Bayside, NY says:
All of you posters are looking to slander someone from the safety of a computer screen which is really lame.
June 3, 2013, 3:54 am
Peter Pan from Alice n Wonderland says:
All yall a bunch a Kreepz!
June 3, 2013, 1:47 pm
Anonymous from BKLYN, NY says:
Anonymous from Queens: I am not crazy. What goes around comes around. There are pieces to the story that we don't know, but I know for a fact that this guy got back what he put out into the universe. No we can't just go around killing people, but that is how business is handled in the court of the streets. Oh and yes it says that she is stupid herself. The child is not a victim. Her dead father was not a positive role model in her life. The child is better off. Shafran from Bayside: Not looking to slander anyone just posting some facts and my opinion. But if you think its lame so be it.
June 3, 2013, 2:59 pm
BSC LBF #131 from southside queens says:
you are not stating any facts so mind your bussiness
***********R.I.P KC aka china**************
June 4, 2013, 5:52 am
Jah from Queens says:
I keep thinking about you. I sadden by your death.
RIP China #131 For Life
June 4, 2013, 7:42 am
mind your biz from south jamaica says:
We should consider the south jamaica houses as funeral homes or burial grounds. So many ppl have died out here, that we should build a cemetary on those grounds. The way I see it, is, nobody dies without a reason. The economy is so bad that, if you offer the bumbs of southjamaica projects $$$$ to kill someone, they would do it. They have no regards to life. I bet it was one of the young bumbs of south jamaica houses, that killed him. I hate violence and Im tired of seeing these teenagers indtigating and looking for a fight with domeone. Have you ever heard of the word "School". That's where teenagers belong. Stop killing each other just to make a name for yourselves. Sooner or later you eill be caught. Than you will be sitting in jail with some reeal killers. Ignorant and no morals. Piecies of ——!!!!!
June 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
mind your biz from south jamaica says:
Put those guns away. Your not a soldier or cop to be out here killing ppl. Guns is what cops have to go after. —— the drugs. NYPD and FBI should start breaking down doors and I bet they will find a ——load of ammo out here in South Jamaica Queens. Every apt should be searched. I pray NYPD n FBI do this for the hard working families in South Jamaica Projects.
June 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
insideinfo from queens says:
word is the man was abusive to his exwife and he was waiting for her to come so he could harass her again.
Man threatened and beat ex wife and current boyfreind.The mother knows this. He tried the wrong person this time.Unfortunately he doesnt get to learn a lesson.
June 4, 2013, 5:19 pm
Stfu from Flushing says:
She didn't seem like an abuse girl to me. She seem to attract thugs. She knew how Kelly was before she married him. If she cared she would of stayed with the nice guy at her job instead of dissing him for the more thuggish new boyfriend. Ghetto is as ghetto does only victim here is the daughter .
June 4, 2013, 10:49 pm
The BEST He Ever Had.... from Bklyn, N.Y. says:
Smh at all u LAMES who got something negative to say about someone who just got there life taken from them....Out of the 4 yrs I was with him, not once did he ever raise his hand at me or made me feel threatened. He was a fun, loving, get money individual who just loved to have a good time and made sure those around him had fun as well. So for all of u who r trying to justify this cold blooded murder by tryna deform his character and slander his name ought to get ur life together cuz at the end of the day no matter what someone does in there lifetime it does not give anyone the right to take there life away. And those that new him kno he was one of the realest —— who u can always count on. My heart goes out to that lil girl who now has to grow up with no father or mother because of this senseless act of violence...
May u Rest In Paradise #ChynaCase u will be greatly missed and ur memory will last forever in everyone who truly knew u.....
June 5, 2013, 1:27 pm
pr from queens says:
I feel bad for the mother. the daughter will never forgive her mother for what happened. who cares if he was a boyfriend. he took that little girl's father away.
June 5, 2013, 1:28 pm
peached from from queend says:
Please people stop being the judge and the jury. Stop putting cami in prison let the law figure it out without being influnced by yall judgemental comments.
June 5, 2013, 6:40 pm
mind your biz from south jamaica says:
Anonymous from bklyn: you sure seem to know a lot about this family. Its because of pieces of —— like you why ppl get killed. Your an instigator. You probably a bumb bi..h and ratchet yourself, pointing fingers. I hope the cops read what you have wrote, which Im sure they r in their offices getting IP adresses from your computer or whatever device you use. I ddon't know you but I dislike you already. You think you tough talking crap. Lets see if it happens to you so you can feel what this family is going through. Your probably one of the older folks who teach these kids to kill. Your a piece of crap. Why don't you die? We don't need ppl like you in our society. Psycho ratchett!!
June 6, 2013, 9:52 am
Anonymous from from BKLYN says:
Mind your biz from south Jamaica:

First, if you read my posts and were intelligent enough to decipher what I was saying you would not be so upset in your post. My posts were in no way intended to be instigating. They were to be thought provoking. But I understand that you are letting you ignorance get the best of you. I never stated that I knew anything more than anyone else that has posted about the family. I simply stated some facts and some opinion. If you had more people like me in our society, then we wouldn't have the problems that we have in black communities. All parties that are involved in this tragic situation have blame. The dearly departed, the ex-wife and the trigger man. And if you can't see that then well you are not looking at the entire picture. My talk isn't tough, just the facts and some opinion. And as far as this happening to my family, how do you know that it hasn't already. And maybe I am speaking from a place of sadness cause I've been on both sides. But like I stated in my opening sentence. You need intelligence to decipher what I am saying....
June 6, 2013, 1:34 pm
peaches from quenns says:
AMEN. Sister from brooklyn. There is a left side a right side and the true side.all u hood rats need to turn your life over to the lord and maybe when your kid reach 33 he will know how to respect gods works as far as life his woman and children.
June 6, 2013, 8:40 pm
Michelle M from South Ozone Pk (backstreets) says:
Well, RIP Kace. You will be missed. I've know KC/Kace since we were teenagers. He's always been a really cool guy who always minded his OWN business. He's never been known to be "thuggish" or disrespectful. At least not the Kace I know. What I know about his relationship with his ex is that she was the love of his life. I don't know her except in passing and only through him (being "KCs girl"). I honestly don't see how all the negative comments towards / about either one of them is helping at this sad time. Unless you were there when this happened or bore witness to the plotting of his murder... I think we should just pray for the capture of the devil that committed this crime and hope the NYPD is actually working to close this case with resolution and not chocking it up to another black man dead in the projects. He was a life... He had a name, a face, a voice, a heart... A child!
June 12, 2013, 2:33 pm
Neutral girl from Rockaway blvd says:
My 17 year old cousin was murdered four years ago by a 23 year old guy and I hate to say that the same like this website there was others as well where people made negative comments about my cousin judging her and all.. People are gonna talk regardless you have to ignore to rise above it because someone else sees them as well let these deal
With it.. I knew KC since I was 11 I hung out with him all the time. I can only Tell you about the KC I know he was funny as hell outgoing caring very strong bond with his child and family got many many friends. The person who they are judging above I don't Know. God bless you all
June 14, 2013, 4:19 pm
wegottogetittogether from south ozone park says:
apparently I know Kelly he was a very good person to be around.He didn't start trouble he stayed to himself and everybody loved him...second why would somebody wanna get on top of a car and shoot somebody seven times u need help.For the babymother if u started this god is gonna get u trust me and u will suffer believe that..sorry they went thru domestic violence but it sounds like shes grimmey
June 27, 2013, 8:41 pm
wegottogetittogether from south ozone park says:
and for ur info he beat the dude up so long ago god forgot about it...he was just jealous
June 27, 2013, 8:43 pm
MONIQUE KC SISTER says:
Everyone has a right to their oppionon, i appreciate all the views the positive and negative. KC is gone and not one of these opionions will bring him back, what i will say is that KC was shot in the head and chest numerous times unarmed! Their is always going to be two sides of the story the truth and the lies, My brother has done some wrong in his life as WE all have, no one can deny that, however for him to be murdered in cold blood is unacceptable!! As his sister i dont need to take sides, the end result was murder, I believe God is the only person to decide who lives and dies. Hasani Forrester had no Right to shoot him dead and leave the scene, he's a coward, and Justice will be served. Everyone involed has been hurt and affected by KC loss and no one wins,so if you think Kc got what he deserved thats fine just be careful that someone isnt coming for you with a loaded gun for all the wrong you have committed, only God can Judge. And for the record this dude was driving around with a loaded handgun with my niece in the car. Thanks for the comments I appreciate them they inspire me to continue to make sure the Coward is Punished.
July 1, 2013, 4:26 pm
Boxer from 131 bsc says:
Kc was cool
Prob with him
July 14, 2013, 10:55 am
anonymous south jamaica queens says:
Im still missing kace its been over a year and i still hate the person who did this to u..... U and I no he's feelin it and so is that —— of a baby mother of urs.... But there time is comin..... Only GOD can judge them!!!!
Sept. 7, 2014, 4:02 am
The king of 131 from South ozone park says:
Kelly Mullins is a coward that got what he deserves. Rest in piss. You in hell right now
May 29, 2016, 2:18 pm

Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!