Month-long Astoria manhunt ends

Police launch a manhunt for Gary Sarback in August, more than a month before the Floridian was cuffed in Astoria this week. Photo by Ken Maldonado
TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

The NYPD arrested the 61-year-old Florida man Monday who had been wanted for more than a month after he allegedly struck a police officer with a stolen truck, sparking a wild chase that led to the temporary closure of the Ed Koch-Queensboro Bridge in late August, police said.

Gary Sarback, of Lake Worth, Fla., was cuffed at about 4 p.m. and charged with attempted murder of a police officer, unauthorized use of a vehicle and criminal possession of a weapon in the Aug. 22 incident, the NYPD said.

Just after 4 p.m. on that day, police said Sarback stopped the black pickup truck with Florida plates he was driving near the corner of 79th Street and Ditmars Boulevard, got out, approached a 49-year-old woman and stole her pocketbook.

The woman chased Sarback back to his truck and was temporarily dragged behind the vehicle as Sarback sped off, police said. The woman was not seriously injured.

After police ran the pickup’s license plate, they discovered it had been stolen from the Sunshine State two days earlier with a .38-caliber revolver inside, the NYPD said.

Then just before 9 p.m. that night, officers on patrol saw the truck near the corner of Crescent Street and Broadway in Astoria and attempted to pull Sarback over, police said.

At one point, each officer squeezed off a round, and Sarback stepped on the gas and sped from the scene, hitting one of the officers with the truck in the process, police said. The officers were taken to Cornell Medical Center where they were treated and released.

Ignacio Romero, a manager at the Trade Fair supermarket on the corner, said the police put the 24-hour store on lockdown after the incident.

Sarback ditched the truck near the corner of 24th Street and 37th Avenue, disappearing on foot, although police recovered his cellphone, which led to the Floridian’s identification.

A manhunt was subsequently launched, which included an NYPD helicopter scouring the area and the temporary shutdown of the Ed Koch-Queensboro Bridge.

Rose Mary Marvilli, who lives near where the vehicle was found, said helicopters were searching the residential and industrial area, which boasts lots of hidden backyards behind brick row houses.

“You saw searchligh­ts,” she said. “It was so bright.”

Sarback was picked up near the corner of 31st Street and Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria Monday.

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Posted 12:00 am, September 27, 2013
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.


Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: