Sections

Jury finds man, 21, guilty in Far Rockaway shooting

Sean Mack was shot in Far Rockaway on Gateway Boulevard between New Haven and Brookhaven Avenues. Photo by Christina Santucci
TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Nearly two years after a 21-year-old Rockaway Beach man was violently gunned down, a suspect was convicted of the killing, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown announced last Thursday.

After a three-week trial in Queens Supreme Court, a jury convicted Anthony Jordan, of the New Haven Plaza housing complex, at Beach 14th Street, of killing Sean Mack.

Jordan was convicted of second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon Thursday.

According to trial testimony, Sean Mack and individuals from his housing complex had been involved in a physical fight at a Brooklyn nightclub with people from another housing complex in the early morning hours of Nov. 13, 2011, Brown said.

Mack had suffered a lip injury in the altercation, according to Brown. Later that Sunday morning, Mack and his friend were walking to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway so Mack could seek treatment for the injury.

As they walked, they crossed paths with Jordan, now 26, who had also been involved in the fight a few hours prior. At about 5:45 a.m., Jordan pulled out a loaded handgun and chased Mack down the street, Brown said. As Mack ran, Jordan fired a shot, striking Mack and causing him to fall. As Mack lay on the sidewalk, Jordan ran up to him and fired a second shot, the DA said.

The bullet struck Mack in the left arm and first perforated his lung and aorta before exiting through his right side, according to Brown. Mack was found on Gateway Boulevard between New Haven and Brookhaven avenues, a few hundred feet from the hospital, with a gunshot wound to his lower torso.

“The defendant stands convicted of the cold-blooded shooting death of a young unarmed man as he lay wounded on the sidewalk,” Brown said in a statement. “This is another glaring example of why we need to continue to fight to get illegal handguns off the streets.”

Jordan is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 4. He faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

Reach reporter Bianca Fortis by email at bfortis@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4546.

Posted 12:00 am, November 17, 2013
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Classifieds

Do you know an immigrant in Queens who has made an impact on the community? Nominate a person who has made a difference for the 2018 Queens Ambassador Awards.
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!