Man sought in attempted abduction of teenager in College Point: NYPD

Authorities believe the suspect was driving this gray sedan. Image courtesy NYPD

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Police were looking for a man who they said tried to drag an 18-year-old woman into his car early Sunday morning in College Point.

The suspect, who was a stranger to the victim, yelled at the teen from a gray sedan at around 12:15 a.m. while the woman was walking westbound on the north side of 25th Avenue near 126th Street, according to cops.

He then parked his vehicle at the corner of 25th Avenue and 124th Street, got out and allegedly grabbed the woman’s waist and put his hand over her mouth, while trying to pull her into his car, police said.

But the victim managed to get away, and the suspect ran back to his car, the NYPD said.

Police described the alleged attacker as a 5-foot-6 Hispanic man between 30 and 35 years old, with short, dark spiked hair and a slim build. Authorities said he had a light beard and mustache and was wearing a blue short-sleeved shirt. The four-door sedan he was driving had damage on the passenger side, according to cops.

Those with information should contact NYPD’s Crimestoppers by calling 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), visiting its website or texting 274637 (CRIMES) and entering TIP577.

Reach reporter Alex Robinson by e-mail at arobinson@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Updated 1:08 am, May 1, 2014

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Jordan o'brien from Flushing says:
Me and my friend are the ones who got out of the car and saved her.once i got out and ran towards them is when he let go of her and ran to his car.if it wasnt for me than he would have taken her.i love how me and my friend arent mentioned in this article.
April 28, 2014, 10:46 am
Amy Can from College Point says:
On behalf of myself & many concerned mothers I sincerely thank you! It's a great to know we have good people in this town who will step in when help is needed.

We need to look out for each other because the only police presence in College Point is in 7-11. 109th Precinct is an absolute joke!
April 28, 2014, 2:07 pm
Paula from College Point says:
Where in College Point did this happen? This is terrible! At least there are people who will still help! So yes Thank you! Also from a teenage girls mother!
April 28, 2014, 9:20 pm
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
College point is so ghetto now. I'm not suprised. It was once a beautiful town. If this girl is being honest please put a bullet in his head when you catch him.
April 29, 2014, 10:51 am
Gandalf from Flushing says:
Its a shame that these things happen period. But maybe if the police actually did there jobs in patrolling the neighborhood for real criminals instead of worrying about dirt bikes or if you have a damn shirt on there would be less trouble in this crime filled town. the 109 is more worried with minor crimes then there are major ones like this for example. this town keeps getting worse and worse and nothing gets done. I CANT WAIT TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!!
April 29, 2014, 3:33 pm
Bilbo from Flushing says:
Time to worry about real criminals 109 not innocent people having fun. Get your stuff together because your a joke of a department. Start patrolling and stop being a bunch of hard***** to kids and less things like this will occur!!!!!
April 29, 2014, 3:38 pm
Chewbacca from Endor says:
Maybe if the cops stopped worrying about me riding my damn dirt bike in an abandoned lot and worried about real criminals a lot of these things would never happen... Stay Stupid 109th:)
April 29, 2014, 3:43 pm
S from College Point says:
The cops at the 109 will start worrying about crimes in college point when some girl gets killed because of this man. They will then patrol the neighborhood for a few days and forget about it. The 109 needs to start worrying about real crimes and not little —— like kids playing basketball at night. Great job 109, you still stink
April 29, 2014, 6:37 pm
anon from queens says:
Queens.... vibrant.... diverse.....full of garbage!
April 30, 2014, 4:44 am
anon from queens says:
Bayside will be the next one hit with these vibrant and diverse individuals. That's what happens when hispanics move in.
April 30, 2014, 4:46 am
MJK from LITTLE NECK/FL says:
I raised my kids in College Point, I moved out almost 20 years ago. Back then CP was a great town, no crimes, you could leave your doors unlocked & walk around safely at night. I did see things starting to change just before I moved that's why I didn't stay in CP. But I loved it there & it was a GREAT place to have raised my kids. Too bad how a neighborhood changes.
April 30, 2014, 11:24 am
nicky from college point since birth says:
Shame on all of you who blame the men & women from the 109!! That's the problem, blame the animal that committed this crime!! They are down man power & cover huge area! Its the cops fault that they weren't on that block at that exact moment/?? Really??? U know how much man power they put into the search of this savage?? Aviation was up immediately looking for him copss sesearching all the yards! Blame the criminal!! Blame the SCUM THAT MOVED IN CP OVER RECENT YEARS THAT DESTROYED MY NEIGHBORHOOD!! My family is In cp almost 60 yrs & its not the NYPD fault this happened!! What a disgrace u all r blaming those u risk safety & life daily for you all. Instead of blaming the perp "! On behalf of myself & family thank you to the 109 for serving my community & this kind of s*** you have to hear, trust me I know , u can't win , but u still have support from old school CP ERS!!!
April 30, 2014, 12:39 pm
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
Hey Nicky , don't forget to tell people your brother is NYPD
April 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
nicky from college point says:
Hey red... ???? , not exactly sure what ur saying??
April 30, 2014, 3:28 pm
Amy Can from College Point says:
109 SUCKS!!!!!!! You want reasons?

1). Several months ago a man exposed himself to me while I was in my car on 11th Ave & 125th Street. When he seen me on my phone (with 911) he jumped a fence & hid in someone's backyard. I called 911 2x and waited 2 hours for an officer to show up. NOTHING!!! I am the one who went knocking on the doors to tell the parents with children playing outside that a perverted psycho was on the loose in their own backyard. I left my name & phone # with the operator. No one ever contacted me.

2). Several years ago an Indian woman was killed on the same block that I love on. I seen her lying in a pool of blood. I called 911 & they told me responders were on the way. Ambulance came & took her, Fire Dept. came & hosed off the pool of blood. Where was 109? NOWHERE BECAUSE THEY NEVER SHOWED UP THAT DAY!!! Days later when unfortunately the wan died in the hospital then they were knocking on doors asking if anyone seen anything that day.

But, I block a relative's driveway (by their permission) I had a ticket on my windshield in less than 15 minutes.

I never thought I would be the type of person to despise my own police department but I do. I even went to community board meetings & they are discussing frivolous issues like LGA traffic noise. When people being up real issues their excuse is that 109 is too big & they are too busy in Flushing. Excuses excuses.
April 30, 2014, 10:17 pm
DDB from College Point says:
Here's another reason to wonder where police presence is: I've called several times regarding the drug dealers and pot smokers that are constantly doing business on my block and NOTHING ever gets done....the 109 is never around. There are a few patrolman on foot every now and then yes but never a patrol car parked on the blvd - rarely do I walk on the blvd anymore but when I do, even I know what's going on at the bodega's....I am afraid when my children are not home before dark
April 30, 2014, 10:34 pm
Mary from College point says:
To the two young guys that helped her . Thank you. If it wasn't for u guys. She would've been a missing girl. Thank you for saving her. Because neighbor's heard her yelling for help and didn't call 911. So you guys are her Angels for saving her life. Pls know that. I'm so mad at neighbors for not picking up the phone to do the right thing. Only 2 young guys did. But neighbors watched it take place & did nothing about it. You guys are the true Hero here. You guys Rock!!! Thank you saving that young girl when adults turned there heads the other way. U two step up and did the right thing. Ty again from the bottom of my heart. You guys are the true hero's
April 30, 2014, 10:41 pm
Mary from College point says:
If neighbor's don't report things. It's gonna happen again. So if you see something or hear something . Say something. Report it/ Call 911 /call the 109 pct. Let's take back our neighborhood. No more crime here. We all work to hard to let the criminals take over the street. We live here. Let's make the neighborhood safe again. Nobody should live in fear.. Report things. Don't turn your head, Speak up . If you don't ,the criminals are winning. Is that how you want to live. I don't .. So pls if u see something Say something .. Let's work together to clean up college point . We all should be safe in our neighborhood. God bless u all
April 30, 2014, 11:26 pm
Maria from Collegepoint says:
Red. Honest / Did u read the first comment. The guy (Jordan) that saved the young girl. He telling the same story. He saying he saved her. We have a creep on the streets. It's a true story!!!
April 30, 2014, 11:41 pm
AmyCan from CP says:
I agree with you Mary it even if the neighbors called chances are the 109 wouldn't have the time to even show up.

And some of these comments above are offensive. I like the diversity in this town & I am friends with some of the Hispanics you are hating on. When my Grandmother (white) was sick the Hispanics on her block were the first ones to check on her & visit her in the hospital. Racism is so unnecessary here.
April 30, 2014, 11:46 pm
Mary from College point says:
I agree with Amy!! No Racism comments pls. If everybody worked together this neighborhood can be beautiful and safe as it once was. If everybody step up & did there part!! We need more police here in Collegepoint. We need to know who our neighbors are/cops are. We need them Driving around seeing what's going on,In our neighborhood. Maybe if neighbors gets to see them /getting to know the cops their speaking up & start reporting crime. We all need to work together to fix this. Not make racism comments about each other. We have to live together. We need to work together. That's the only way were gonna fix this problem. Working together as a Neighborhood. Letting the criminals know not here anymore.
May 1, 2014, 12:35 am
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
Yes Maria , I read the comment regarding him rescuing her . It doesn't mean she's telling the truth. Sometimes women lie about these situations. Some claim to be raped and later admit they lied. I don't believe everything I read . When prostitutes have disagreements with their Johns or pimps they fabricate lies to protect themselves. If she is being honest I would love to put a bullet in the creeps head. I have two daughters .
May 1, 2014, 6:17 am
Nancy from College Point, NY says:
Before I can comment on this event, I need to address the comments from Red the Garbage Man in Whitestone. How dare you refer to College Point as a ghetto. I guess Whitestone is immune to illegal happenings. Robberies and drug busts don't happen there? This blog has nothing to do with the type of neighborhood this happened in. It has to do with the lack of police presence and the fact that these things are happening in ALL neighborhoods. I, too have phoned 911 and the 109 on a few occasions and have had no response. Something needs to be done about this. I do have one question though. Why is an 18 year old girl walking alone at that hour? Our children need to be taught that there are alot of sick people out there and they should be aware of their surroundings and safety. The two guys who rescued her should be commended for their courage and recognized. I hope they catch this piece of crap and he gets what he deserves.
May 1, 2014, 8:26 am
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
I'll tell you how I dare call college point a ghetto. For the past two years the homeless were camped out in front of waldbaums and petco. Now they moved around the corner to 15ave. It was disgusting having them outside the stores! Look down in the sidewalks & streets and see all the litter! I want to vomit ! Did every resident of CP discard their broom? I call it a ghetto because I remember how beautiful it was when I lived there. Before it became so overcrowded . Back when everybody knew everybody in a small town atmosphere .If you need more examples of ghetto just ask. I could write a book!
May 1, 2014, 10:52 am
nicky from CP says:
No thanks, never asked for any reasons why anyone is blaming those who DO protect & serve! what I said was its a disgrace that anyone blames them for this. Your bashing / blaming an entire Dept for some savage skell that attacked a teenage girl!! based on pretty ridiculous crap!! Keep in mind when cops leave to start their tour they do not know if they will return home safely TO THEIR FAMILIES, BECAUSE THEY ARE OUT THERE PROTECTING YOURS!!!! and believe me you don't have a clue what goes on! I see people want crime addressed, but "not the minor ones" because it prevents your fun!! Don't want an entire race bashed because of the actions of some, But yet that's exactly what your doing to the cops & 109 ????? Slightly hypocritical, No???? Kinda speaks volumes. The fact that comment after comment blamed the cops & not this animal is truly amazing!!! A mother and your comment starts with 109 you suck!!! Pretty appalling, wonderful way to teach your children to respect law enforcement!! Once again the 109 did a great job responding, showing nothing but respect & concern for this kid & family. Helicopters went up immediately! Police searching every inch of area for the skell . You have a problem with police presence & response time take it up with your Mayor!!! Cops have no control over that!!! pretty ignorant comments, try one night being in law enforcement, the s**t they see, And the abuse they take while risking their safety, and believe me you'd be counting down the seconds that u were home safe w your family! You'd see things in a different light.. law enforcement is a job that you can't win, EVERYTHING IN THE FREE WORLD IS BLAMED ON THE BLUE!!! Damn shame people are directing their anger to the cops instead of the one who's guilty. Police are only human, everything is not their fault. AND THIS CASE IS DEFINITELY NOT THROUGH FAULT OF POLICE!! And yes, unfortunately, CP has turned ghetto!! Funny you say they're never around, yet I've never heard more police sirens now as I have my entire life in CP!!! please spare me the BS, place blame where it rightfully belongs!!!! AT THAT SAVAGE!!!!! Stop blaming cops for every animal!! People will commit Crimes even with police patrolling . Don't forget who risks it all to find & stop them! Maybe a little respect is due! Like I stated before those who blamed the PD for this you should be ashamed!! To me your reason for the blame on cops, is nothing but excuses, excuses, instead of blaming the perp!!!! Be safe to those in blue, every agency!!!
May 1, 2014, 7:25 pm
Nancy from College Point, NY says:
So there is no garbage in Whitestone? That's funny. Litter is everywhere. Maybe you should take a ride around the whole town and see how beautiful parts of it still are. There are parts of Whitestone that are no better. Let's face it, changes are everywhere. I love the people that grew up in CP that now bad mouth it because they moved. We all had great childhoods here. That's what we should remember. We don't need to talk like CP is crap.
May 1, 2014, 9:56 pm
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
More examples of the ghetto: Shopping carts from BJs & Waldbaums everywhere. The lowest ghetto people use them like the carts are their own personal carts. Graffiti constantly put on nice buildings. The corner building at 129 & 14 is a prime example. Signs on light poles in Spanish advertising rooms for rent. 24 hour laundromat . 24 hour bodegas on 18 & 20 ave. with drug dealers posted outside. Graffiti covered vans vans and trucks . That's enough for now Nancy. The good old CP days are long gone. I like Howard Beach. It's my favorite Queens neighborhood and not ghetto at all!
May 2, 2014, 6:51 am
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
La Cheesecake and Spa castle are the best CP has to offer. Sad to see Fred from Farringtons pack it in after all these years . Mama soup was great until it was taken over by new owners .
May 2, 2014, 7:10 am
KSmith from Auburndale says:
Have to disagree with some of the posts here....the 109th does have some good police officers, but on the whole, there are more A...holes than honest good working men and women. Had a friend arrested by the 109th because they would not take the time to check his alibi. He went to the 7/11 for coffee and was surrounded by 8 officers, undercover and uniforms (slow day in the 109th), They stated that he was trespassing in someone's yard. When he told them he was just getting coffee, go to his home , talk to his neighbors that just seen him, they would not do it. There are some lazy idiots working there that should not have a job.....the lieutenant was the biggest idiot of all.
May 5, 2014, 7:24 pm
Océane from Coll. Pt. says:
honestly, as a longtime CPer, i have to agree with Red the Garbage Man of Whitestone. i've noticed all of what he's mentioned, over the years. our nabe is pretty darned ghetto in some parts, for sure. it's far from being one of the worst Queens 'hoods, but i know that crime's steadily increased here. there's no denying the fact. the homeless residents are all right (most of them, anyway), but people should worry about a possible poverty problem that's growing, and not some preposterous theydon'tbelongherethey'regrossandterrible, baloney. it's also true that there's zero police presence. maybe, with the construction of the area's police academy, that'll all soon change.

College Point's just OK to me. just have your wits about you, act accordingly; wise up.
May 16, 2014, 2:51 pm

Classifieds

Do you know a hero of Queens? Nominate a person who has made a difference for the Queens Impact Awards.
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!