Questioning bad land-use decisions

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

The New York City Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) has a final say on land use issues throughout the five boroughs. They wield a lot of power over our communities. Too much power in my opinion. The BSA needs to be accountable to the taxpayers. The City Council should have the power to review BSA decisions and overturn those that harm our neighborhoods. Conditions adopted into BSA decisions have to be monitored by the Department of Buildings. From what I have seen, the DOB is highly ineffective.

In my neighborhood of Bayside Clear Spring, we have far too many auto related businesses that show no respect for their neighbors. Star Nissan parks more cars than permitted on their back lot. Despite repeated complaints, the Department of Buildings has failed to resolve the problem.

Helms Brothers built an extension of their building into the residential area through various loopholes, in coordination with the BSA and other city agencies. Did anyone in city government think of the residents?

The Getty gas station on Northern Boulevard near 204th Street neglected to renew their variance for years some time back. A letter was written to BSA about this by a civic association. The BSA’s executive director at the time wrote a letter to Getty giving them sixty days to renew or they would have to undergo the variance procedure all over again under the current zoning resolution. The sixty days passed without renewal. When Getty sought to renew, the BSA went back on their word and allowed Getty to get their variance renewal.

Why does my community have such an overabundance of auto related businesses? One does not see this degree of infiltration in adjacent areas. Does the city allow this because of the ethnicity of the people who live in my community? What else can one think but that African American neighborhoods are targeted for the least desirable businesses?

My people will not accept this treatment. We demand fairness and justice.

Mandingo Osceola Tshaka

Bayside

Posted 12:00 am, June 17, 2015

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Willy wonka from Chocolate factory says:
Wow this is insane! You want to control other people's land?
June 17, 2015, 7:42 pm
Ash Ketcham from Pallet Town says:
You got that right! We need to properly zone the area so I can battle my Pokemon with the other neighborhood adventurers. No one can stop my Pikachu!
June 17, 2015, 7:48 pm
Vegeta from Planet Earth says:
I shall destroy Kakarot! Only I am the Saiyan Prince!
June 17, 2015, 7:50 pm
mike from queens says:
Mandingo, I respect you highly since you have been an active community leader for many years and was born and raised in bayside like myself however, if you recall 25 years ago, there were 2x as many car dealerships as there are now and to tell you the truth, I would rather have the car dealerships up on northern blvd then having signs that are not written in English all in my face! I miss the old bayside and I don't welcome the new bayside at all! I would love to go back to the old days of bayside but since I know that this is not possible, the only thing I can do is move out of here! If I wanted to live in china or korea, I would have moved to one of those countries- I don't need those countries coming to me! The house even across the street from me is an illegal church and they take up all the parking spaces on my block at certain times of the day! What about that crappy asian restaurant that just opened on 204 and northern? It Has A "Parking lot" But It only holds 4 cars and the rest of the diners park in "No standing" zones and in people's driveways.....this would be a cops dreamland if they want to meet their ticket quota! Everyday I come home and go up 204th street and 45th road and a car is always parked in the "no standing anytime" corner! We don't even have a proper sidewalk on 45th drive and 204th street so parking is weird and driving there is dangerous! Put me back in bayside in 1985 any day of the week!
June 19, 2015, 5:22 am
American from USA says:
You my friend,have TOO MUCH Power!
The ruined Martin's Park, that YOU turned into a weed infested,dog poop filled mess. I don't see anyone visiting!
June 20, 2015, 6:41 am
American from USA says:
You my friend,have TOO MUCH Power!
June 20, 2015, 6:41 am
American from USA says:
You my friend,have TOO MUCH Power!
June 20, 2015, 6:42 am
American from Queens says:
You my friend,have TOO MUCH Power!
June 20, 2015, 6:42 am

@timesledgernews
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!