Sections

Three concert promoters again denied use of Flushing Meadows

TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The city Parks Department Monday denied applications from three entertainment giants hoping to use Flushing Meadows Corona Park for music festivals this summer after opposition from Borough President Melinda Katz. Madison Square Garden, AEG Live and Founders Entertainment were seeking to close off large portions of the park in order to stage for-profit, multi-day events, but were denied permits for the second year in a row.

“Without a fair policy in place, I remain opposed to any applications from for-profit organizations to run paid-admission events in Flushing Meadows Corona Park,” Katz said last week. “The absence of a revised policy, including a set selection criteria and process approved by the community, renders the process arbitrary and unfair. Cutting off public access to our treasured parks flies in the face of the very principle behind our parks, which is space designated for public access and equity.”

Parks had no further comment and AEG Live could not be reached, but Tom Russell, co-founder and partner of Founders Entertainment, understood Katz’s opposition.

“We support the borough president’s comments on the need for a fair and open process,” he said. “We only want to do events in the park if they are welcome by the community and support the local Queens culture. Our Meadows Festival embodies that community spirit and we couldn’t be more excited to bring the event back to Citifield this fall.”

The Madison Square Garden Company issued a conciliatory statement as well.

“We continue to think that Flushing Meadows would be a great place to hold a world-class music festival and that we are the right company to ensure it would be a success, and we look forwards to working with all appropriate parties to make this opportunity a reality.”

Reach reporter Bill Parry by e-mail at bparry@cnglocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4538.

Posted 12:00 am, December 22, 2016
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

RC from Jackson Heights says:
Not in our back yard!!! This would be a disaster for the community, which will only bring trouble with the increase traffic, noise, crime, rowdy and drunk concert goers. Our local parks are not Concert Halls. Keep denying the permit and have them perform elsewhere.
Dec. 22, 2016, 12:53 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

MetroPlus NY Cancer and Blood Specialists NYU Winthrop VillageCareMax

Classifieds

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: