Sections

Whitestone man dies after fire in basement apartment

TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

A Whitestone man died late Thursday night after a fire broke out in his basement apartment, according to the NYPD and the FDNY.

At about 11:50 p.m., police responded to a call of a fire at 154-26 Riverside Drive and discovered a two-story brick home on fire, police and the Fire Department said.

After the flames were extinguished by FDNY personnel, Mario Dimisa, 74, was found unconscious and unresponsive, officials said.

EMS also responded and pronounced Dimisa dead at the scene, police continued.

An FDNY spokeswoman said the cause of death was careless smoking, but could not confirm whether it was due to an unattended cigarette or another factor.

Dimisa was found in his basement apartment, the spokeswoman said.

The fire broke out in the basement and extended to the first floor, she said. Firefighters doused flames on both floors, with the fire coming under control at 1:44 a.m., the spokeswoman added.

The FDNY and the NYPD said the investigation was ongoing.

Reach reporter Madina Toure by e-mail at mtoure@cnglocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4566.

Posted 12:40 pm, February 12, 2016
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Nothing new from Queens says:
Probably an illegal conversion. ...what else is new?
Feb. 12, 2016, 1 pm
Rick D says:
This is a one family house. How is no one from the Dept of Buildings not issuing violations for this illegal apartment? How about the IRS for unreported rental income?
Feb. 12, 2016, 9:03 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Classifieds

Do you know an immigrant in Queens who has made an impact on the community? Nominate a person who has made a difference for the 2018 Queens Ambassador Awards.
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!