Heart-breaking danger on the crosswalk

Don’t miss our updates:

Frederique Rowe lost her 1-year-old daughter, Skylar Perkins, who was killed in her pink stroller by a truck on 23rd Avenue in Elmhurst.

The mother was crossing when the light turned green. but the driver apparently didn’t realize pedestrians have the right of way.

This case is one of hundreds of deaths caused by careless drivers who are too much in a hurry to care about pedestrians who follow the rules of crossing the street.

For the most part pedestrians observe the crossing rules at the green not in between.

Now I can testify to that fact because last year I didn’t have a car for six weeks and had to take three buses in one direction and back and was forced to cross various intersections.

I traveled between Bellerose and Mineola. I had to cross at one point at Lakeview Road and Union turnpike and another intersection at New Hyde Park Road and Jericho Turnpike and found it dangerous.

I am a senior citizen and have bad knees and can’t walk too fast to get across the street.

When I crossed at the green when the light told me to walk, a couple of times I was almost hit by cars trying to make their turns in a hurry.

At times I was forced to hold up my hands in a motion to stop the cars and hope I would not get hit.

Now I am driving again and I am increasingly aware of the pedestrians in the walkway and proceed with caution.

I only wish other drivers would show more concern and follow the rules of the road when it comes to pedestrians.

If this does not happen, more children like Skylar will surely die for no reason.

Frederick R. Bedell Jr.

Glen Oaks Village

Updated 12:32 am, July 10, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Ahhhh from Glen Oaks says:
Frederick, the once homeless man got his 15-minutes-fame by writing a letter that took him several weeks to get it posted. Congratulations.
March 31, 2017, 1:30 pm
Mike from Bellerose says:
I know Frederick, a very lame idiot who did nothing for the community except his scout honor attitude. He lives near me on Commonwealth Blvd always staring at the young girls walking by sometimes whistling. Get a life, man.
April 1, 2017, 11:49 am
Frederick Bedell Jr. from Glen Oaks Village says:
It is not good to lie about a person you don't even know, Mike. I am Grand Knight in the Knights of Columbus and help raise thousands of dollars over the years to help those in need. Remember what Jesus said," Do not judge lest ye be judged.
April 2, 2017, 1:20 pm
Mike from Bellerose says:
Yeah right. I know your attitude while hiding behind with your 15 minutes fame. We have met on several occasions. You have weird behavior with people. If I tell all my friends about you, they will come forth and tell the truth about you of what you had done with boys in the scouts. Keep your hands and eyes off young people, Fred.
April 3, 2017, 8:40 am
Frederick R. Bedell JR. says:
Lying about me will do you no good. You do though need professional help.
April 3, 2017, 9:34 am
Mike from Bellerose says:
Scouts honor is with me so no lying needed. You are the one in serious need of help.
April 3, 2017, 12:20 pm
Helton from Flushing says:
I've never met Fred. I've only read what he's written in, and to, newspapers.

He seems like a very decent guy to me.
April 4, 2017, 11:33 pm
Frederick R. Bedell Jr. from Glen Oaks Village says:
Helton; Thanks for the kind words.
April 5, 2017, 7:43 pm
Richie from Bellerose says:
fred is a loser. he is not liked by his neighbors on commonwealth and union where he lives. go away, man.
April 5, 2017, 11:01 pm
bob from Douglaston says:
I know Fred many years and have found him to be a man of integrity and good will. A Vietnam era U.S. Navy veteran, Fred has devoted much of his time and resources assisting those in need and his activity in organizations that excel in good works. Recently, he again, conducted a very successful Knights of Columbus blood drive at St. Anastasia Church despite having serious health issues.

May Fred continue meeting these challengers in good health.
April 8, 2017, 12:16 am

Comments closed.

MetroPlus NY Cancer and Blood Specialists NYU Winthrop VillageCareMax

Classifieds

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: