Have a heart regarding panhandlers

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Mayor Bill de Blasio claims some panhandlers are doing it for fun. In the past, he’s said he wished he could eliminate panhandling. In my opinion, many are doing so because they are homeless and have little-to-no income.

These people need to eat and have needs like many of us do. Does he want to starve the homeless out of existence so that the issue will go away? There are many who are chemically dependant or mentally ill, or both. Also, there are those who have fallen on hard times, like veterans who have found it impossible to handle the high cost of housing. These individuals often have no choice but to panhandle.

What is the de Blasio administration doing to help the destitute? Homelessness in the Big Apple has shot up under Bill de Blasio’s watch to its highest level since 2005. According to the latest annual survey by the Department of Homeless Services, homelessness is up 40 percent over last year. There there is an estimated 60,000 living in shelters and motels paid by for the city and taxpayers. I see quite a few panhandlers in Glen Oaks Village and many of our residents and businesses find this most troubling.

I wonder: If these desperate individuals panhandled in front of City Hall or at the Mayor’s home in Brooklyn, would he try to do more? Of course, he would likely have security preventing that from happening.

I found myself homeless in 1975 after my release from the U.S. Navy, having served during the Vietnam era. I was forced to ask for spare change on the street for a while, until I was offered a place to live by the kindness of a stranger named Cyril who emigrated from Nigeria and understood homelessness. I truly feel the pain of the homeless and ask the city to do more.

Frederick R. Bedell Jr.

Glen Oaks Village

Posted 12:00 am, July 24, 2017

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Depends from Queens says:
The city doesn't care about homeless vets. They only care about illegals. You are unfortunately at the bottom of the barrel there.
I have seen some panhandlers though who did NOT look like they needed any kind of, help whatsoever. For example, there was a guy on the 6 train station on Lexington and 68th street and he begged for money claiming he was "hungry" but yet he must have weighed 300 lbs and everytime I saw him, it didn't ever look like he lost any weight.
Then I have seen panhandlers who I wouldn't want to give a dime to because they looked like they would just spend it on drugs. And there is also those illegal women who take turns holding a baby and a sign claiming they need money and are homeless.
You must take precautions all the time with who you are giving your hard earned money to.
July 24, 2017, 5:47 am
Bob from Glen Oaks says:
Fred, you were homeless because you were helpless. Panhandlers does it for fun. Losers like yourself lacked the will power.
July 24, 2017, 9:13 am
Madeline from Bellerose says:
Fred is my neighbor. He never served the military. He was enlisted to be a potato peeler and was thrown out for eating them on the side. Now he is with Knights of Columbus, he can eat free food.
July 24, 2017, 10:33 am
Olaaa from Queens says:
Joe Moretti, we all know you grew up on welfare in public housing. That's same as Fred's homeless saga.
There is no difference between welfare and panhandlers.
July 24, 2017, 12:56 pm
Joe Moretti from Jamaica says:
Olaaa from Queens has done it again, with his witty retort. What a guy. What will you have in store for us tomorrow or would that be too taxing on you. This guy is amazing how he thinks this stuff up all by himself.
July 24, 2017, 1:49 pm
Phil from Bellerose says:
I know Fred for a long time. Always an upstanding citizen. Despite his disability and mental condition, he loves to write keeping him busy. I enjoy reading them.
July 24, 2017, 5:52 pm
anon23 from queens says:
There may be legitimate homeless (or not) panhandling. Did you know that there are "schools" to learn how to panhandle? They will even tell you to put some ketchup on your clothing and let people think that it is blood. They teach you what to wear and how to look. Having a dog or baby (that it not theirs) is even better. Why not? Free money...don't have to pay tax....
July 25, 2017, 11:19 pm
Fred Bedell from Glen Oaks Village says:
Dear Madeline;

I never met you nor do I like what you said about me.
I served in the United States Navy and I did so that I could defend your rights to say lies about me.
July 27, 2017, 12:28 pm
Hey you from Midtown says:
Have you noticed the signs all have the same handwriting? These people are dropped off in the morning by a van. This is an organization that is giving the wrong impression to the hordes of scandalized tourists who now believe New York is filled with heartless people
July 27, 2017, 3:35 pm

Classifieds

Do you know an immigrant in Queens who has made an impact on the community? Nominate a person who has made a difference for the 2018 Queens Ambassador Awards.
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!