Our Lady of the Snows flourishing

Don’t miss our updates:

Aug. 5 is the ninth anniversary of the main church building at Our Lady of the Snows in Floral Park.

The parish of Our Lady of the Snows came into being in 1948, but did not have a main building in which to worship. Instead, they used their church auditorium for many years. Msgr. Raymond Chappetto, who is now Auxiliary Bishop, had a dream and made it a reality, with the help of Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio.

Our Lady of the Snows has a large sanctuary space, a preservation of the crucifix, and a Blessed Mother statue from the former church. The location benefitted from the acquisition of stained-glass windows from the chapel of our Lady of the Skies at John F. Kennedy Airport.

The parish today is led by the Rev. Kevin McBrien, who in the last few years has helped the parish flourish with renewed spirituality. The parish has done a lot for those in need, including the blood drive they ran, which brought in 46 pints of blood last weekend.

In my opinion, the “good of the many” has been the goal of Our Lady of the Snows for many years. We have attracted many different nationalities, races and cultures to the parish. Our Lady of the Snows caters to those who need that closeness to our higher power.

Frederick R. Bedell Jr.

Glen Oaks Village

Updated 12:32 am, July 10, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Joe C from Floral Park says:
Fred, I don't know if you are aware but the church is now mostly made up of Indians and its their time.
Aug. 3, 2017, 12:35 pm
Joe C from Floral Park says:
You are not welcome to Our Lady of Snows. Neither am I. We are both racists.
Aug. 3, 2017, 4:13 pm
Fred Bedell from Glen Oaks Village says:
To Joe C from Floral Park;

I am sorry you are a racist. But I am not and serve as a usher and have served as a lector and I am also a member of their Holy Name society at Our Lady of the Snows. I accept people of all races and nationalities.
Aug. 3, 2017, 4:32 pm
Frank from Bellerose says:
Fred is a wonderful person who survives on disability income. Everybody helps him with now and then donations. Keep the writing coming, Fred.
Aug. 4, 2017, 2:31 pm
Bob from Douglaston says:
Wise up, Frank from Bellerose. For your information, Fred has been employed by the same company for many years and also participates in church and civic activities.
Aug. 5, 2017, 11:47 pm
Fred Bedell from Glen Oaks Village says:
Thanks Bob from Douglaston for telling the truth about what I am all about in what I do for the good of the many. THANKS !
Aug. 6, 2017, 11:59 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: