Sections

Thanksgiving fire erupts in two Jamaica homes

An extension cord resulted in two houses catching on fire.
TimesLedger Newspapers
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Two next-door homes went up in flames from a fire in Jamaica on the night of Thanksgiving, according to the FDNY.

The three-alarm fire was determined to be accidental and was started by an electrical extension cord, the department said.

The houses that were destroyed were located at 162-20 and 160-18 on 108th Avenue., and none of the nine people who were displaced suffered any injuries, according to the FDNY.

The fire occurred on the first floor of both homes, the authorities said.

The nine people who were displaced are being helped by the Red Cross, according to authorities.

On Nov. 24, the day after the fire, the FDNY tweeted on the social media platform Twitter a link to the FDNY Smart website about cord safety and a video about shoppers checking if a product is UL certified for Black Friday.

Electrical products carrying a UL certification means it has met the Underwriters Laboratories safety requirement.

UL is a global safety science organization, according to its website.

Cords must be regularly checked and if damaged or frayed should be replaced immediately, according to the FDNY Smart website. Wrapping damaged cords with PVC electrical tape is not a permanent solution to the problem.

To keep cords safe FDNY suggests not running cords under carpets or hanging them from nails.

If a damaged cord is attached to an appliance that individuals want to keep, contact an electrician to repair it and do not touch it, the department said.

Reach reporter Naeisha Rose by e-mail at nrose@cnglocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4573.

Posted 12:00 am, December 2, 2017
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

MetroPlus NY Cancer and Blood Specialists NYU Winthrop VillageCareMax

Classifieds

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: