Why we should all stop eating at McDonald’s

Don’t miss our updates:

I write to you to express my shame toward a place I frequented and adored during my childhood years.

I would like to express my disbelief of McDonald’s and its apathetic treatment toward animals.

I write to you in solidarity of all animals, that just like us, feel — feel our inhumanity, feel our gluttony, feel our indifference — and we need to make a difference today.

Together, we can demur McDonald’s prolonged policy that allows animal abuse in their supply chain.

For example, the core of their notorious McNuggets is the pain.

The chickens are not only crammed in filthy cages that are far too small to live compassionately, but grow in aberrant speeds and are often unable to support the weight of their own bodies, which causes their constant, severe pain.

Essentially, they are bred for pain.

The green pasture days are long gone and McDonald’s, as a profiteer of this truth, should be held accountable for the irresponsible brutality they execute in their supply chain.

McDonald’s is lagging behind its competitors — Burger King, Subway and Starbucks, to name a few — which is surprising coming from an enterprise that advertises to children, who are our future.

What kind of example are we demonstrating if what they see is cruelty instead of compassion?

Let’s reconsider our eating habits and its sources, and demand for better animal welfare, if not for our animals, then for our children.

Nicole Cantos

Ridgewood

Posted 12:00 am, November 20, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

suckitup from Jr. says:
Oh please give me a break. We are humans and at the top of the food chain. There are more chickens in this world than there are humans. I understand treating animals a certain way but personally as long I don't see it with my 2 eyes, I don't care. Honestly, if you put a chicken ready to be killed in front of me, I probably wouldn't care. If you don't like, then go 100 percent vegan. But you cant force your beliefs on other people as much as you would like to. So suck it up buttercup, its the just the way the world works. Also, why should I care about the way an animal that is going to be slaughtered anyway is treated while it is alive? It was bred to be killed to be put on someone's dinner plate. Man has been killing animals for food since the beginning of time. You'll live.
Nov. 20, 2:39 pm
Regina from Maspeth says:
Thank you, Nicole. 💜 Vegetarian alternatives like the Beyond Burger are tastier and healthier than the mystery meat of McDonalds. Have you ever brought that stuff home? The cats and dogs go crazy for it. I used to wonder if the same ingredients that was in pet food and treats was also in "Mickey D's". I stopped eating there a long time ago. Though some people proudly do not care about anything other than their own gluttony, many people are concerned about animal welfare. Perdue and Tyson Foods have both pledged to end battery cages and are both are trying to find ways to reduce suffering when the animals are killed. Chicken icon KFC is actively developing vegan fried chicken and Tyson Foods is also developing a vegetarian line of foods. The majority of humanity does not want animals to suffer and the future will have significantly more cruelty-free, non-meat options. The good guys always win. 😊
Nov. 20, 6:09 pm
THINK from Queens says:
A society is based on how they treat animals and the elderly and we, especially in the US, fail on both accounts. And "suckitup from Jr." proves it with his totally asinine comment or in his case ASSinine, not that what he is saying is wrong (and it is his choice to eat meat), but his comment "but personally as long I don't see it with my 2 eyes, I don't care" says much about our society, as long as I don't see horrible things happen, don't experience it, etc, I don't care. AND that is just one of the reason our world is screwed up.
Nov. 21, 6:49 am
EBZ06 from Flushing says:
Know first what you're talking about. Tyson supplied McDonald's chicken thru a supplier in Tennessee. In mid-2018 Tyson cut ties with the farmer supplying the chicken.
Nov. 24, 11:28 am
EBZ06 from Flushing says:
Sorry . . . the Chicago Tribune says they began cutting their ties in mid-**2015**. Tyson wound up buying the farm.
Nov. 24, 11:39 am

Classifieds

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: