Two Queens men were re-arrested on additional counts of kidnapping and sex trafficking young women while at the Queens Criminal Courthouse in Kew Gardens on prior such charges, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown announced.
The DA said Terrance Jackman, 36, of Springfield Gardens, and Zulay Guerrero, 35, of St. Albans, appeared shocked by the new case, which was put together by the newly formed New York City Police Department–FBI Human Trafficking Task Force.
“The defendants have now been twice accused of holding women against their will, forcing them to engage in prostitution acts by instilling a fear in them that they would be physically hurt if they did not do as ordered, and turning over all the money that they earned to them,” said Brown.
According to the criminal complaint, Jackman, 36 and Guerrero, 35, were originally arraigned on Dec. 4, 2017 on charges of kidnapping, sex trafficking, promoting prostitution, conspiracy and menacing. Their original bail was set at $250,000 bond;$125,000 cash.
They were indicted last week on four counts of sex trafficking, one count of second-degree promoting prostitution and two counts of third-degree promoting prostitution. Jackman has an additional charge of second-degree assault, according to the DA’s office.
Jackman was ordered held without bail and Guerrero had bail set at $1 million bond;$500,000 cash, according to the criminal complaint.
In the complaint it was alleged two female victims — then ages 17 and 23 — were forced by Jackman and Guerrero to engage in prostitution from Feb. 1, 2013 to March 1, 2017 throughout Queens and elsewhere, and the money earned turned over to Jackman.
In another incident sometime between May 1, 2016 and Oct. 1, 2016, Jackman allegedly stabbed one of his victims in the knee, leaving a scar, and the victim was refused medical treatment and forced to continue engaging in prostitution that night.
Jackman also allegedly kidnapped one of his victims after she left a nightclub on June 25, 2017. He promised her a ride home, but instead, he drove her to his house, took pictures of her and posted them on the website backp
The victim later escaped on June 30, 2017 after Jackman allegedly drove her to a prostitution date. According to the police report, she told the “john” that she was kidnapped and he allowed her to leave. The victim immediately called 911 and stated that a pimp had kidnapped her.
“Although these young women managed to escape their bondage, they will have to live with this horrible experience for the rest of their lives,” said Brown. “If convicted, the defendants face lengthy prison terms for sex trafficking — one of the most exploitative and degrading crimes against women and society.”
Jackman and Guerrero were ordered to return to court on March 8, and face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
Reach reporter Naeisha Rose by e-mail at nrose
©2018 Community News Group