Sections

Area fireman ends 3-month hospital stay

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Firefighter Joseph Vosilla was released from a rehabilitation center at Manhattan’s Mount Sinai Hospital Friday, bringing to a close his three-month hospital recovery from injuries sustained in the Astoria Father’s Day fire.

Vosilla had been critically injured June 17 after being crushed beneath debris when an explosion ripped through the Long Island General Supply Store, killing three of his colleagues, seriously injuring another and leaving 59 people with various injuries.

The explosion killed firefighters Harry Ford, 50, of Rescue Co. 4; John J. Downing, 40, of Ladder Co. 163; and Brian Fahey, 46, of Rescue Co. 4.

Lt. Brendan Manning, who was also seriously injured in the fire, had been released at the end of June from the Cornell Burn Center in Manhattan following an 11-day stay.

Vosilla, a member of Ladder Company 116 at 37-20 29th St. in Astoria, underwent numerous surgeries to repair internal and orthopedic injuries at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, which released him to Mt. Sinai last month.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown announced in July that two teenage boys who started the fire when one of them tripped over a can of gasoline as they played behind the store would not be charged in the case.

Reach reporter Dustin Brown by e-mail at Timesledger@aol.com or call 229-0300, Ext. 154.

Posted 7:23 pm, October 10, 2011
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group