Today’s news:

113th Pct. sergeant injured after L.I. motorcycle crash

A sergeant in the 113th Precinct in South Jamaica was in an induced coma after he lost control of his motorcycle and hit a signpost just blocks from his East Meadow home.

Sgt. William Bright, 43, and his wife Cathy, also 43, were both thrown from the 2002 Harley Davidson bike in the June 30 accident, and suffered multiple compound fractures in their legs and wrists as well as other injuries, police and hospital spokesmen said.

Sgt. Bright remained in the intensive care unit in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow and was still under heavy medication this week to relieve his pain, said Shelley Lotenbreg, a spokeswoman at the hospital. One of Sgt. Bright’s legs had to be amputated due to his injuries, she said.

Cathy Bright also suffered compound fractures and was at Nassau University Medical Center in a surgical care unit, Lotenbreg said.

The accident took place just before 4 a.m. on June 30, according to a report from the Nassau County police. The Brights were on their way home, traveling north on Newbridge Road in East Meadow when Sgt. Bright lost control of his 2002 Harley Davidson motorcycle and struck a signpost at the corner of Inglewood Street, police said. The cause of the accident was not known, police said.

Although both Brights were admitted to the hospital in critical condition, Cathy Bright was recovering well and was listed in stable condition Monday, Lotenbreg said. Sgt. Bright was still in critical condition Monday, she said.

“Cathy asks that everyone pray for Billy’s recovery and she wants to thank the New York Police Department and those officers who were there for them for their help and support,” Lotenbreg said on Cathy’s behalf.

About 70 of Sgt. Bright’s fellow police officers went out to the hospital July 3 to donate blood to replenish the units he had used, Lotenbreg said.

“Because of his multiple injuries he had required a lot of blood,” she said. “The officers said they would be willing to come and donate blood. That was their way of helping out.”

Although the Brights were not out of the woods yet, their family, including their three sons, were ready to help the couple through what would be a lengthy recovery and rehabilitation, Lotenbreg said.

“He’s got a long way to go,” Lotenbreg said of Sgt. Bright. “And she will have to come back to the hospital to do rehabilitation.”

Reach reporter Courtney Dentch by e-mail at, or by phone at 229-0300, Ext. 138.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group