Essential Services

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Emergency Dispatch Center: 911

City General Helpline: 311


Battery/Abuse (for women and men): 800-621-HOPE

Child Abuse Hotline: 800-342-3720

Con Ed Emergency Gas & Electric: 800-752-6633

Dental Emergency Service (Weekends only): 718-454-8344

Emergency Children's Services: 646-935-1446

Fire Department: 718-847-6600 or 911

Keyspan for gas emergencies: 718-643-4050

Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) / Brooklyn Union Gas (BUG) Emergency Info: 800-490-0025

Poison Control Center: 212-340-4494

Crisis Helpline: 212-532-2400

Life Net: 800-543-3638


Abandoned Buildings

To report abandoned buildings: 311

Abandoned Cars

To report abandoned vehicles: 311


To get AIDS/HIV information: 800-TALKHIV; Health AIDS Hotline: 212-447-8200

Airplane Noise

To file an airplane noise complaint, call the Federal Aviation Administration: 800-322-7873


General information for JFK International Airport: 718-244-4444

General information for LaGuardia Airport: 718-533-3400


Alcoholics Anonymous: 718-520-5021

Social Services Alcoholism Service: 212-252-7022 or 1-800-56 SOBER

Intergroup: 212-647-1680

Animal Rescue

To contact Animal Care and Control: 212-788-4000


To report a suspected arson: 718-722-3600


To report illegal asbestos removal:

Bar Association

To get referrals from the Queens Bar Association: 718-291-4500


To get a beehive removed: 718-520-5341 (low wasps nests)

Birth Certificates

To obtain a copy of a birth certificate through the Department of Health: 212-788-4520

Borough President Helen Marshall

To reach the Borough President's Office: 718-286-3000

Buildings Department

Customer Service: 718-286-0600

Bus Schedules

MTA Travel Information line: 718-330-1234

For MTA LaGuardia Depot (formerly Triboro Coach Corporation): 718-335-1000

Business Assistance

To get business help from the city: 212-618-8845


To reach the national cancer hotline: 800-4-CANCER

Child Abuse

To report child abuse or neglect: 800-342-3720

City Collector

To contact the city collector call: 718-935-9500

Community Boards

To find your local community board, call: 718-286-2900

Con Edison

For electric service and to report electric problems: 800-75CONED

Consumer Hotline

To report a consumer problem, call: 311

Contractor Problems

To file a claim against a contractor: 311

County Clerk

To contact the Queens County Clerk: 718-298-0600


Queens County Civil Court: 718-262-7100

To file a claim in Small Claims Court: 212-791-6000

Crime Victims' Hotline

To receive help and referrals for crime victims: 212-577-7777

New York State Crime Victims Board: 800-247-8035

Day Care

To get a listing of day care programs: 718-520-8548

Death Certificates

To get a death certificate, call the Department of Health: 212-788-4520

Dental Referrals

To obtain emergency dentist referrals: 718-454-8344


Mayor's office for people with disabilities: 212-788-2830

To get disabled parking permits, call the Department of Motor Vehicles: 718-433-3100

Disabled Transportation

To get reduced fare bus/subway passes, call the MTA: 718-243 4999

To obtain an Access-A-Ride application: 646-252-5252


To report discrimination, call the Human Rights Committee: 212-306-7500

District Attorney

Call Queens District Attorney Richard Brown: 718-286-6000

District Attorney's Squad (Hot Line): 718-286-6580

Dog Licenses

To get a license for your dog: 212-676-2100

Domestic Violence

To report and get help for domestic violence: 800-621-HOPE

Drug Abuse

To get help for drug abuse: 718-661-4003

Drug Abuse Treatment Information (OSAS): 800-522-5353

E-Z Pass

To get E-Z PASS applications: 888-AUTOTOLL

Elder Services

Dept. for the Aging: 212-442-1000

To find out about legal services for the elderly: 718-286-1500


To contact the Queens Board of Elections: 718-730-6730


To contact the Queens Workforce1 Career Centers: 718-557-6755

To contact the NYS Department of Labor: 800-HIRE-992

To contact the Department of Employment: 212-442-2356

To get job referrals: 718-523-4312

To file a complaint with OSHA for job safety: 718-279-9060

To start a business in New York: 800-STATENY

To file for unemployment benefits: 888-209-8124

Environmental complaints

Dept. of Environmental Protection: 718-595-7000

To file air, water, sewer and noise complaints: 311



To report planned excavations: 800-272-4480

Fire (Non-emergency)

To get information from the Fire Department of New York: 311

Fishing Permits

To get fishing permits: 718-482-4900

Food Complaints

To file a food complaint: 311

Health Department: 212-788-4646

Food & Drug Administration

Food & Drug Administration: 718-340-7000

Food Stamps

To get food stamp applications: 212-894-8055


To report fraud in city government: 212-825-5959

To report public assistance fraud: 212-825-5959


To file a garbage removal complaint: 311


To report graffiti: 212-NEW-YORK

To file a quality of life complaint: 212-NEW-YORK

If you see graffiti being done, call 911. You can also call 311 to report graffiti.


Health Department complaints: 212-442-9666

Heat & Hot Water

To file heat and hot water complaints: 212-NEW-YORK, or 311.


To file a complaint against the homeless: 311


To file a complaint about housing conditions, call the NYC Housing Authority: 718-657-8300

For Section 8 and Housing Applications, call the NYC Housing Authority: 718-657-8300

Attorney General for Co-ops and Condos: 212-416-8121

Building Inspectors: 718-286-0600

Central Complaints Bureau (Repairs): 718-592-5757

Code Enforcement: 718-286-0800

Emergency Housing/Relocation (after 5 p.m.): 212-289-8000

Fair Housing: 800-669-9777

Housing Authority Applications:

Housing, Preservation & Development: 311

Technical Service: 212-863-5000

Real Property Assessment: 718-935-9500

Rent Administration Info: 718-739-6400

Rent Increase Exemptions (Seniors): 212-442-1000

Section 8 Housing Applications: 212-306-4113

Income Maintenance

Call your local office - Jamaica: 718-523-3085; L.I.C.: 718-784-6766/67; Rockaway: 718-318-4110


To call the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services: 800-375-5283


To file insurance policy complaints: 212-480-6400

Lead Poisoning

To get information about lead poisoning: 212-BAN-LEAD

Legal Aid

To contact the Legal Aid Society: 347-245-5132

Library, Queens branches

To find local library branches: 718-990-0700


To get winning lottery numbers: 718-976-2020

Manhole Trouble

To report a misplaced cover: 718-DEP-HELP

Managed Care

To contact the Managed Care hotline: 800-206-8125

Marriage Licenses

To obtain a marriage license: 718-286-2829


To get Medicaid info: 718-291-1900


To get Medicare info / reduced fare passes: 800-772-1213

Mental Health

To get help for the mentally ill: 212-219-5599

Dept. of Mental Health: 212-219-5504


To get listings, call Moviefone: 718-777-FILM

Pest Control

To find out about pest control call: 718-956-7103

Parking Violations

For information on parking violations call: 718-225-5368

Parks and Recreation

To get information from the Department of Parks and Recreation: 718-520-5900


To obtain a U.S. passport: 212-206-3500


To contact the Poison Control Center: 212-POISONS


To get general information from the New York Police Department: 646-610-5000

To file a complaint about the New York Police Department: 212-442-8817


To report a pothole: 718-225-5368

Planned Parenthood

For information on Planned Parenthood: 212-274-7200

Public Advocate

Call Public Advocate Betsy Gottbaum's complaint line: 212-669-7250

Public Assistance

To get information about public assistance: 718-291-1900

Public Housing

To get an application for public housing: 718-286-7500


To get Long Island Rail Road schedule info: 718-217-5477.

To get Metro-North schedules: 212-532-4900

To get Amtrak schedules: 800-872-7245


To get recycling information: 718-298-7300


Division of Housing of Housing and Community Renewal's rent information line: 718-739-6400

Restaurant Complaints

To file a complaint against a restaurant, contact the Department of Health: 212-442-9666


To report rats or pests on public property: 212-442-9666


Sanitation Action Line: 212-219-8090


Public schools district affairs line: 718-935-3910

Chancellor: 718-935-2794


To report a clogged sewer: 718-337-4357

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

For treatment, call the STD hotline: 800-227-8922

To get STD information and education: 212-788-4415


City Sheriff Queens County office: 718-803-3091

Social Security

To get Social Security information: 800-772-1213

To get an application for Social Security Insurance: 718-291-1000

Social Welfare

Queensboro Council for Social Welfare: 718-468-8025

Street Lights

To report a broken street light: 718-CALL-DOT

Subway Schedules

To get subway schedules from the Metropolitan Transit Authority: 718-330-3322


To contact the Suicide Prevention hotline: 212-673-3000


To get tax forms from New York City: 718-935-6114

To get tax forms from the Internal Revenue Service: 800-Tax-Form.

To get tax information from the Internal Revenue Service: 800-829-1040

For real estate property tax information: 718-935-9500

Taxpayers Assistance Unit: 718-935-9500


To file a complaint against a taxi driver, call the Taxi & Limosuine Commission: 212-302-TAXI

Taxi Commission (Queens): 718-391-5500

Tenant Issues

To get help for tenant problems: 718-262-7145

Towed Cars

To track down a car if it has been towed: 212-869-2929

Traffic Problems

To file a complaint about broken traffic lights or missing signs: 718-225-536

Traffic Violations

To contact the Traffic Violations Bureau: 718-488-5710


To report tree problems: 800-201-PARK


Veterans' Information: 718-459-1828

Voluntary Action

Mayor's Voluntary Action Center: 212-788-7550


To register to vote and find polling places: 718-392-8989

Water Meters

To complain about a water bill: 718-595-7000

Workmen's Compensation

To file a claim for workman's compensation: 800-877-1373

Youth Intervention

To reach the NYC Youthline: 800-246-4646


To apply for zoning variances: 212-720-3370

(This list was compiled from the Web sites of the Queens Borough President and the City of New York.)

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group