It took firefighters nearly two hours to put out an electrical blaze in the basement of Mythos restaurant at 196-29 Northern Blvd. in Auburndale Wednesday afternoon.
A spokesman for the FDNY said that a call came in about smoke and fire in the eatery’s basement at about 1:50 p.m., and the blaze was listed under as control at 3:38 p.m.
Mythos’ owner Peter Theodoropoulos said after he heard several popping sounds, he and his son Jimmy headed downstairs to find out the cause.
“We opened the door and fireballs shot out at us,” Jimmy Theodoropoulos said.
The box that caught fire, they said, was in a contained area in the basement, which is used as a catering hall.
Firefighters used a dry chemical extinguisher, a powder that suppresses electrical fires, the FDNY said.
The FDNY spokesman said the utility companies were called and power was turned off at the restaurant while firefighters worked on the blaze.
No one was injured, the spokeman said.
©2012 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.