Driver who struck teacher faces charges on suspended license: DA

Annamarie Tromp (c.) is surrounded by two of her students. Photo by Pepita Cirillo

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

A 24-year-old driver, involved in a New Year’s Eve crash that killed a Flushing pre-K teacher, allegedly had his license suspended nine times, the Queens district attorney’s office said in court documents.

Anthony Zupnick of Flushing was arrested and charged with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle after he collided with Annamarie Tromp, 56, at the intersection of 33rd Avenue and 172nd Street shortly after 2:30 p.m. on NewYear’s Eve, the NYPD said.

Zupnick told police he did not see Tromp coming until it was too late and that he was “not paying attention to the speed of his vehicle,” according to the criminal complaint filed by the Queens DA. Zupnick was unable to provide a valid driver’s license to police when they arrived and his license had been suspended nine times on at least five different occasions, according to the complaint, the last time on Nov. 26, 2013.

Tromp was remembered by parents whose children attended her Whitestone school, PS 79, as a beloved teacher who treated all her students as if they were her own children.

“She was such a loving person. She was just a tremendous human being,” said Nick, a Whitestone parent, who would not give his last name and whose children were all taught by Tromp. “She was wonderful. She loved the children as if they were her own. She referred to them as her babies.”

Tromp, a mother of two, lived in Flushing, but taught pre-K at PS 79 at 147-27 15th Drive in Whitestone for years. She also occasionally taught second grade and kindergarten, said Nick. She was the type of teacher students would always return to see years after they had left PS 79, said Nick, whose children are now in high school.

“Ms. Tromp skillfully molded legions of young American children to be stable, fair, well-balanced, caring, hardworking, responsible human beings,” Nick added. “If you ever saw that poster that reads everything you need to know in life you learned in kindergarten, well Ms. Tromp taught it to you.”

Nick, who was outraged that Zupnick was allegedly driving with a suspended license, said he would do everything in his power to see he was held responsible.

“May the PS 79 community stand with her family and go to court and represent Ms. Tromp so that the man who smashed her car is held responsible for his actions. We must be there to see this through,” Nick said. “As a community sometimes you have to stand up. It’s not about revenge, but you have to hold people accountable that blatantly disregard laws.”

Zupnick was arraigned New Year’s Day and will next appear in court Feb. 3.

Reach reporter Alex Robinson by e-mail at arobinson@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Updated 2:02 pm, January 6, 2014

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Kenny from Queens says:
Oh~~~~my god!!!

My daughter attended her class last year. I went to her class few times to fix her computer. She was so~~~ nice. My daughter loved her too.
Even after a year, my daughter still talks about Ms.Tromp

Can't believe this happened still.
God bless you and all of her families and beloved!

God took her for big reason! Ms. Tromp, we'll all miss you
Jan. 2, 2014, 6:03 pm
JDJ from Whitestone says:
Ms. Tromp will always be remembered as a loving teacher & friend. It saddens us all to know this happened. She was always happy & full of life. May she rest w/the angels.
Jan. 2, 2014, 6:45 pm
Carmine says:
Put him in a car and push it off a cliff. POS!
Jan. 2, 2014, 7:37 pm
Suzy from Flushing says:
So he doesn't have to deal with the horror he has caused because he is unconscious? His drivers liscense was suspended 9 times and he is still driving!!!! Who does he know and why isn't his name listed? He killed someone who was beautiful and innocent. I hope he doesn't die, I hope he lives and is jailed until he is so old that he only has a few breathes left in freedom. I hope he feels the full weight of the horrible, reckless crime he has commited.
Jan. 2, 2014, 9:30 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
That kid should rot! We as community members should take stand and advocate for stop signs in that area. There are none! Her death was absolutely senseless --the least we could do is try to prevent this from happening again!
Jan. 2, 2014, 9:37 pm
cara from Islip says:
It doesn't say the driver was at fault. It seems like it was just a tragic accident.
Jan. 2, 2014, 9:39 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
Accident?? The kid was going 80miles on a 30mile residential block! That's plain criminal! !
Jan. 2, 2014, 9:43 pm
maria from whitestone says:
Mrs.trump had two of my children that had attended her class, she was a lovely and beautiful person always with a smile on her face. God bless her and her family and we will all miss her all. We all want him to be put in a car and pushed off a cliff!!
Jan. 2, 2014, 10:41 pm
Samantha from Whitestone says:
This article is all wrong. The kid wasn't even speeding! She blew the stop sign... Who's fault is that? To wish death upon a stranger is an unforgivable act.. You will all be judged. God bless the families of both victims.
Jan. 2, 2014, 10:51 pm
A guy from A place where people can read says:
Typically when people state they had not been paying attention to their speed, they are speeding. If the limit was 25-35 for that street and he was traveling at that rate, the car would not have been flipped upon impact.
Then again I was not there to witness.

My heart goes out to both families. Anybody that knew Annamarie loved her.
Jan. 2, 2014, 11:11 pm
Sam from NYC says:
License suspended 9 times, 24 years old, last suspension was approximately 30 days ago and is currently suspended.

Does a suspended license mean anything anymore?
Jan. 2, 2014, 11:20 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Sam, agreed!
A guy from...you are so right!
Samantha, if it was your mother who died this tragically I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune! If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!
79 mom...I'm sure I know you :) and yes...Criminal!
Cara, mind your own business and follow the Islip news. While you're at it, imagine if it was your family member! Again...nothing nice to say DON'T SAY ANYTHING!
Ditto CARMINE!
Suspended license 9 times????!!!!! And suspended at present time!!! And it wasn't his fault?!?! Wake up people!!!!
Jan. 2, 2014, 11:30 pm
Yianni from Whitestone says:
Samantha, she lived in the neighborhood and knew where the stop sign was. Ever consider that she didn't see anyone coming when she stopped, but this kid came flying while she was going? This little arrogant punk thinks he is above the law and needs to be put away. He sounds like a spoiled, entitled brat and he probably will get away with killing an innocent woman. My thoughts and prayers are with Mrs Tromos family
Jan. 3, 2014, 12:05 am
Bill from North Queens says:
Samantha, are you kidding me? I drove by the scene several times. It is IMPOSSIBLE to cause that kind of wreck without going over probably 60mph. He was notorious for speeding throughout the neighborhood. Just because you are probably friends with him doesn't exonerate him. Not to mention an illegal substance was found on him. I only hope the justice system does what is right!
Jan. 3, 2014, 2:03 am
Alex from Whitestone says:
Samantha a car flips when it's hit at a high rate of speed and that's what happened in this case. Speed limit on residential streets is about 30 mph anthony was roughly going about 75 -80mph . He didn't see Ms. Tromp because he was going too fast. Also why was he driving if his license was suspended ? This was a horrific accident it was only a matter of time before this happened with anthony as a driver!!!!! Oh by the way did the hospital check if he was high on marijuana because on his Facebook there was nice picture of anthony with a marijuana cigarette in his mouth....oops I guess that's why he took his Facebook account off yesterday. RIP Ms Tromp we will miss u and especially the students will miss u
Jan. 3, 2014, 2:05 am
Mario from Whitestone says:
My daughter is a current member of Mrs. Tromp PreK class. Mrs. Tromp was a wonderful person that deserved better.
Jan. 3, 2014, 2:37 am
TT from Whitestone says:
I have seen it so many times these "little young drivers" going very fast down these side streets of Queens, talking on the phone, texting, trying to pick up girls next to them. There needs to be more rules in place for these jerks. Ms. Tromp was a DYNAMIC person with an educators view for her children in her class. I remember her with her little gold bag slung around her shoulder. She was funny as well as personable. We will miss her, my children will miss her and that jerk took away a #1 teacher from our children as well as a caring mother from her own.
Jan. 3, 2014, 5:45 am
JJ from Whitestone says:
It's obvious it was that lil punks fault. May he live w/guilt for what he has caused to her family, the PS79 family/kids and this community! He admitted to not seeing her AND his license suspended more than a handful of times! Seriously???? He needs to be put away! Ms. Tromp you will be missed ever so dearly❤️So sad ��
Jan. 3, 2014, 7:18 am
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
As I drive around queens I see the same two speed traps on Northern Blvd by Citifield and occasionally on the service road of the Whitestone. NYPD should enforce the speed limit everywhere . It may take an officer more time to get her quota but it will save lives and property damage.
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:05 am
Mary from Flushing says:
Annamarie was an extremely cautious person. She would never think of text ing or talking on the phone while driving. She wouldn't even cross the street until the light turned green regardless if there were cars coming or not. The statement that she blew the stop sign was an insult to who she was and what she was about.
The person that killed her, who's license was revoked so many times , who was speeding , blew the stop sign. Look at the condition of her car. To cause that type of damage, you would have had to be traveling at a high rate of speed. A total disregard for for the others . Her family is destroyed because of his senseless, irresponsible , selfish act. He deserves whatever is coming to him.
Jan. 3, 2014, 9:54 am
Mickey from Whitestone says:
The driver that hit her car should have his licencse permantly revoked due to his total disregard for human life. He obviously is on a self destructive path and needs to be stopped. Some good hard time just might do the trick.
Jan. 3, 2014, 10:58 am
Lauren from PS79 Community says:
Annamarie was a beautiful person inside & out! She loved her sons more than life, her family & of course her students as well. She was a great teacher & treated those kids like her own. I have been lucky enough to have worked with her for the past 12 years & many of those years taught Kindergarten with her. I will miss her sweet voice, caring & loving ways & beautiful smile! Annamarie rest in peace! You will be forever missed, loved & in our hearts forever.
I have no words for the kid that caused this . He will live with this guilt forever & know he took a sweet, innocent life.
Jan. 3, 2014, 11:37 am
Meri from Flushing says:
I live just blocks from the site of the accident and pass this RESIDENTIAL intersection multiple times a day. There is absolutely no way this "boy" was not speeding. A 24 year old male with a suspended license driving a BMW -- how could any single person be so naïve as to think he was driving at the speed limit and not insanely above it?!?!

God rest Ms. Tromp's soul and may He grant her family, friends, students and all who knew her the strength to remember and honor her memory always.
Jan. 3, 2014, 1:06 pm
Bob from Flushing says:
I read the response from Samantha who said that it was just a horridble accident. Did you read the article? Suspended license 9 times. If he wasn't driving illegally this butiful person would still be alive.
Jan. 3, 2014, 1:17 pm
Daniel from Flatbush says:
License suspended 9 times??? Why don't we have a three strikes and you are out law for reckless driving? Instead of a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th, 9th suspention he should have been safely behind bars.
Jan. 3, 2014, 1:19 pm
Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
This P.O.S. lives very close to the scene of the wreck. Anybody want to join me for a little noisy demonstration outside his house tomorrow? 12:00 p.m.?
Jan. 3, 2014, 2:23 pm
Yianni from Whitestone says:
I'm with Red. We should all join together and make our voices heard. His parents need to take responsibility for the kid being a ——head too. If my kid had his license suspended even once, the license plates would be off that car and he would be taking mass transit. If the parents put him in his place and punished him this sweet woman would still be alive.
Jan. 3, 2014, 2:37 pm
Mrs m from Whitestone says:
As a victim of a similar accident although permeate damage I'm lucky to still be here. NO LIC, SUSPENDED LIC,ILLEGALS , KIDS IN HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS KILLING AND INJURING INNOCENT PEOPLE AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT....SHAME ON THE JUSTICE SYSTEM. PRIOR CONVICTIONS....justice should be served here ...We can't bring this sweet innocent beautiful lady back but we could have this kid pay for his stupidity....otherwise he will continue to hurt others!!!!!!!
Jan. 3, 2014, 4:40 pm
jessica from Bayside ny says:
I was a witness to this horrific accident. May the women who died rest in peace. Ms Tromp went through the stop sign and both cars collided. It was terrible and I was modified.
Jan. 3, 2014, 5:16 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Jessica since you witnessed the accident and seem to have no problem putting the blame on my friend who is dead, let me ask you this..whether she allegedly went through the stop sign or not, if the kid wasn't driving because his license is SUSPENDED and has been 9 times, would she be dead?!?!
P.S. I'm glad you were "modified"
Jan. 3, 2014, 5:37 pm
Alexis from Flushing says:
It happened in front of my house.
I don't know what kind of legal action may be taken or if myself or my husband will be called for a deposition since our car was involved in the crash (parked), but I will say that there is no possible way that a person driving the speed limit could have flipped a car on this block. The speed limit is 30mph and over the 5 yrs I've lived here I have heard hundreds of cars go speeding by. There are no stop signs for about 12 blocks west. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened here.

It was an absolutely horrific scene.
I am so sorry for Annamarie, her sons, her friends, her students and anyone else who knew her. I've talked with countless people who have been stopping by the small growing memorial in front of my neighbors home and they all speak so kindly of her.

I'm also sorry for the kid in the BMW-wishing death upon this kid won't bring anyone back or change any circumstances. He's 24 and will have to live the rest of his life knowing that an accident he was involved in took the life of another...if you ask me, that's a prison in itself.

At the very least, it would be nice if a stop sign could be put up somewhere on 33rd ave near the corner of the crash site-to help avoid future incidences.

I am so sorry for all of you who lost a friend/family member in this tragedy. I have been thinking of you all everyday since.
Jan. 3, 2014, 6:46 pm
fran from flushing says:
The air bags tell the speed when the accident occured. They have a wi t ness also. Suspended license. 9 times???? Guess he was a good driver and respected the law!!!!
Jan. 3, 2014, 6:53 pm
Flushing homeowner from flushing says:
This punk was known to speed down 33rd Avenue and blow the stop signs. A family member even reported him to the police.
It was only a matter of time before he killed someone. He should rot in hell.
Jan. 3, 2014, 7:06 pm
Angie from Whitestone says:
It's irrelevant if his license was suspended 1 time or 9 times. That didn't cause the accident. There are plenty of crappy drivers out there that deserve to have their licenses suspended or shouldn't have one at all. The accident occured because of human error(if she passed the stop sign) but was a BIG fatal accident because of him speeding. And the idiot that gave him permission to drive their car should have their driving privilege suspended knowing they gave their car to an unlicensed operator. Rest in peace Ms Tromp
Jan. 3, 2014, 7:45 pm
john from flushing says:
He wasnt unlicensed. And the sped did kill her. Dont forget there is a witness that saw the piece of garbage go through the stop sign! His license was suspended 9 times, this is what happens after all those times. He didnt care and still did what he wanted.
Jan. 3, 2014, 7:58 pm
Angie from Whitestone says:
A suspended license means you are not allowed or privileged to drive. Let's not get technical.
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:07 pm
PS 79 Colleague from Whitestone says:
Most tragically.....For those of you who do not know, Annamarie's mother was also killed in a speeding car crash just a few years ago, in the Flushing area. Her father survived the crash, but now has to deal with the loss of burying his daughter as well. So senseless....

This irresponsible illegal driver needs to spend some time in jail AND never ever get the privilege to drive again.

And...Why does it take the loss of a life to get a STOP sign installed?

Annamarie ....your ps 79 colleagues will miss your sweet smile and heartwarming personality. We all know you will always be looking over your two sons.
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:19 pm
Live at intersection from Flushing says:
Guys
There's no stop sign on 33rd ave heading east at 172nd...he did not blow a stop sign
There is no stop sign-so if someone claims to witness him blowing a stop sign-it's incorrect because there is no stop sign there

The stop sign is on 172nd heading north and south

I am not pointing any blame-I am simply stating the facts of the streets

Let's get a stop sign put in so we can avoid this kind of thing going forward
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:36 pm
HAS from Flushing says:
I was there at the scene seconds after it happened. She was still strapped in her seat upside down . She did not go through the Stop sign. He was doing 70 think how fast he was traveling, probably doing 2 city blocks in a flash of time, by the time he hit her car he was there in a flash, traveling at that speed any one who knows statistics can figure this out. I heard this accident, I thought it was an explosion,my home literally shook and I live over 200 ft from this tragic accident. Her car was lifted off the ground rotated in mid air and landed on its roof, and his vehicle traveled over 100 feet smashing into a parked car and pushed that car 10 to 20 feet. It was a horrible accident, something I can not erase from my mind . May she rest in peace.....
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:49 pm
Flushing homeowner from flushong says:
Did not say he blew the stop sign in this case but he was known to speed on 33rd Avenue and regularly ran the stop signs further west on 33rd avenue. He is a reckless driver.
Jan. 3, 2014, 8:50 pm
Jessica from Bayside, ny says:
She DID blow the stop sign. Please stop saying that she did not blow the stop sign. I was a witness and saw it myself and I have no relation to either party,
Jan. 3, 2014, 10:30 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
If anyones knows this area you know that there is no stop sign for the kid that was driving west towards f.l. blvd and that is part of the problem. That road is basically a runway for anyone who wants to speed.

I heard there have been many requests to get stop signs along the way. Maybe now theyll listen! These types of crashes in areas like this one have been continuing for years! I doubt it will stop but we can help prevent future ones....would love to meet this kids parents!

Not suprisingly I drove down to the area and got cutoff by a punk in a white lexus smoking god knows what with his windows down (in this weather)! like I said, it wont just stop. Its just a major reminder when we get on the road! Be careful!

Texting, substances in the car?? Who knows!! That belongs with the investigation.

Thinking of her happy face....
Jan. 3, 2014, 10:48 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
Jessica-Lets say she did....if the other driver was driving on or about the speed limit, dont you think he would have seen her and reacted appropriately. Whatever happened to defensive driving? ?
Jan. 3, 2014, 10:56 pm
Ar from Whitestone says:
Granted she might have passed the stop sign and caused the accident. But that doesn't mean it's ok for him to speed. The fatality was caused because of his high speed and not caring for others on the road. And he should be charged for that as well as driving with a suspended license. And the person that allowed him to drive his car should also be penalized.
Jan. 3, 2014, 11:13 pm
P.S79 mom from Whitestone says:
Blow the stop sign??!!! If the idiot wasn't speeding doing twice the speed limit, how would she even see him coming!!!!! Do you hear what you people are saying!!! He had a suspended license and should NOT have been in a car!!!!!! He killed her regardless...so why don't you jessica or whoever wants to keep saying she blew stop sign and goto P.S79 on monday and explain to 5 year olds why an animal doing 65 mph with a suspended license took the life of a beautiful woman/teacher/friend and mother!!! R.I.P and Forever a beautiful Angel
Jan. 3, 2014, 11:33 pm
Ps79 father from Flushing says:
My four year old daughter is in her pre K class. I had to tell my daughter yesterday that her teacher had died. All of us cried together.

We will never forget her smile and the happiness she brought to the classroom. They were a precious four months.
Jan. 4, 2014, 12:02 am
Friend from Whitestone says:
Jessica whether or not she blew the stop sign is irrelevant! Are you insincere or just dumb?! Annamarie is dead because some moron kid with a 9 times over suspended license was speeding and killed her! Your car doesn't flip 3 times from blowing a stop sign. Didn't your mother ever teach you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?! Do you think we, Annanarie's friends and family care about a stop sign?!?! If this boy wasn't driving like he was NOT supposed to be, she would still be alive. Grow up! You are clearly an immature young adult! Get your head out of your behind!
Jan. 4, 2014, 12:08 am
Friend from Whitestone says:
Jessica... "Blowing" a stop sign didn't flip her car and kill her. The idiot that had no regards for the road and any one on while speeding like a maniac killed her.
Jan. 4, 2014, 12:27 am
PS79 parent from Whitestone says:
I seriously DOUBT Ms. Tromp blew the stop sign. She lived only two blocks from the accident. She would have travelled this intersection routinely.

Bottom line he killed her. SPEED KILLS.

This kid should have never been driving! He should have his license revoked permanently and barred to hold any state license. Better yet some JAIL time in RIKERS might knock some sense into him. It would also prevent him to take another person's life as he does not respect the rules to not drive after 9 suspensions. He is a menace to society!!!! Driving over 70mph, whatever he was in such a hurry for, not worth it.

More STOP signs are needed in North Flushing on these open straightaways to help curtail these tragic accidents.

Ms. Tromp may you rest in peace.
Jan. 4, 2014, 4:10 am
Reenie from Flushing says:
Jessica... I know Annamarie very well. She would never ever blow a stop sign. So either you're a false witness or your vision needs to be checked. She stopped didn't see any cars and proceeded to go not expecting the BMW to come barreling down at 70-80 mph. Who he himself according to other articles said he didn't see her and that he was unaware of his speed. Posters that know him said he was notorious for speeding down 33rd Avenue. He license being suspended 9x says it all. Unfortunately, Annamarie's life was taken by someone who never should have been on the road. You have no idea Jessica what Annamarie meant to so many people. People like her come few and far between.
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:30 am
concerned driver from flushing says:
He is known for his speeding and now he has killed someone. Why did it come to this? Why was he driving. More stops sign is not the answer as he runs them anyway. He should have been jailed years ago. Does his family have an in with a politician?
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:49 am
CK from Flushing says:
Annamarie was a block from home and having driven down that block a thousand times knew where the stop sign was. One look at the car will tell you that she was hit at a very high speed. The man's mother is partially to blame as well for allowing her son to take HER car knowing that he was not allowed to drive Annamarie will be missed by so many, her death was senseless. This could have been any one of us on that day if we had been driving at that corner or a pedestrian or child crossing. Annamarie cannot speak for herself but as a community we can speak for her. We need to unite as a community, send letters to the judge, show up at the hearing and demand that justice be served. A stop sign on the corner is not the answer and would not have prevented this from happening.
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:06 am
concerned driver from flushing from flushing says:
I totally agree. It could have been anyone of us hit by this speeding person who should not have been driving. He and all others like him need to be taken off the roads. His mother Is at fault too. The community needs to take a stand.
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:37 am
ce from flushing says:
Our house is on 33rd avenue where there are stop signs. This young man regularly passed our house at high speed blowing the stop sign. He had no regard for anyone else on the road. The police were notified. He should go to jail for a long time and if was his mother's car that he was driving then she should also be held accountable.
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:42 am
blondie from bayside says:
This is a tragedy for both sides no matter who did what.
Let's focus on that....
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:52 am
concerned driver says:
It should not have happened. He should not have been driving. Please focus on that
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:02 am
broken hearted from broadway says:
I have first hand info that the police report did not say that she passed the stop sign or that there was a witness. I know police reports because my Mom died the same way 6 years ago down my block. We had a witness it was on the police report that said my DAD was also the victum.
No Witness Name or Address on the POLICE REPORT!

LONG LIVE ANNAMARIE TROMP MEMORY

KEEP POSTING FELLOW NEIGHBORS!
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:03 am
CK from Flushing says:
No!! We need to focus on doing everything possible to keep HIM off of our streets! "A tragedy for both sides" Really? I don't feel that way. The tragedy is for Annamarie, her children, family, students, friends and the people of this community. Her life was taken away by a reckless, stupid man who had no regard for human life or road safety. What tragedy is it for him? That he may actually be punished and not be a safety risk to others. Let's hope so.
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:20 am
ps79mom from whitestone says:
"Tragedy" only for tromp and her family!! Irresponsibilty for driver and the parents who allowed this to happen!
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:37 am
NOYB says:
Jessica just needs to keep quiet.
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:50 am
Reenie from Flushing says:
Broken Hearted... with you every step of the way.

LONG LIVE ANNAMARIE TROMP MEMORY
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:55 am
Friend from Whitestone says:
Blondie... You're name says it all. What tragedy did this idiotic kid have? Did he lose a life of someone he loved or knew? NO!! He took a life away and so did the person that owned the car he drove. Don't say there was tragedy on both sides! He caused it!
Jan. 4, 2014, 12:29 pm
Josey Wales from Whitestone says:
..I am the Nick from the above article, I am glad some of you are understanding our duty as of now. We must show up at court on Feb 3, 2014 we must let our voices be heard. We must get a hold of the Queens DA handling the case and represent Annamarie, her family and our community. That is our job now. Let us get a meeting together before Feb 3rd in order to get organized. Suggestions?..
Jan. 4, 2014, 1:14 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Does anyone know any wake or funeral arrangements for Ms Tromp?
God rest her soul
Jan. 4, 2014, 1:35 pm
ck from Flushing says:
Annamarie’s wake will be held at Lloyd’s Funeral Parlor on Saturday January 4th from 7 – 9 PM and Sunday January 5th from 2-5 PM and 7-9 PM.

Lloyd’s is located at 214-43 39th Ave in Bayside, New York.

The funeral mass will be held at St. Andrew Avellino Church on Monday January 6th during the morning. We do not know the exact time yet, but we can tell you at the wake or you can call the church at (718) 359-0417.

St. Andrew’s is located at 35-60 158th Street in Flushing, New York.
Jan. 4, 2014, 1:59 pm
Sq from Flushing says:
It sounds like many people are going to make their voices heard at the court. As much as I believe it is the kid's fault for speeding, I also believe the very system that can suspend a license 9 TIMES and and not revoke it at 3 or 4 is a huge problem. What kind of system is this that this kid was given 9 slaps on the wrist. His liscense, car and insurance should have been revoked long ago.
Jan. 4, 2014, 2:20 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
SQ. Unfortunately whether or not his license is suspended or revoked it will not keep him from getting behind the wheel. The person that gave him the keys and him to drive their vehicle knowing his license was suspended should also be penalized.
Jan. 4, 2014, 2:32 pm
A concerned citizen from Flushing says:
The whole family is notorious in the neighborhood for being reckless drivers. You can't expect the kids to obey and respect traffic laws when the parents don't. The father has wrecked cars and caused property damage on neighbor's houses for years now. Yet, they routinely speed around the neighborhood even though every one knows that they shouldn't be driving. One look in the parents driveway tells a story. There is a totalled car sitting under a tarp there for years. Neighbors on their block have been worried for years that eventually one of the members of this family would kill someone. Unfortunately it was poor Mrs. Tromp. RIP.
Jan. 4, 2014, 3:06 pm
ce from flushing says:
Any chance that the charges against Anthony Zupnick will be upgraded considering his Irresponsible ILLEGAL driving resulted in Annamarie's horrific death?
Jan. 4, 2014, 5:01 pm
Suzy from FLUSHING says:
Why wasn't Anthony Zupnick's name available as quickly as Annamarie's was? How can he not be charged with vehicular manslaughter or a charge that bares the full weight of his horrible crime? Someone wrote that he will have to live the rest of his life with the guilt of knowing he killed a beautiful, innocent woman. He has no sense of guilt or shame! If he did he would not have been speeding on 33 ave at all, but especially with a license that has been suspended so many times. This is a grown man of 24 who is responsible for his own selfish dangerous behavior. To blame his parents takes some of the blame off this slime of the earth Anthony Zupnick. Anthony Zupnick read these comments and don't be stupid enough to believe that anyone has any sympathy for you. You killed a woman and her family, friends, co-workers and students have to feel the sorrow and pain of her loss. I don't believe you will feel anything but being impositioned and bothered that you got caught...again driving illegally. You need to go to jail, to a horrible jail like Rykers Island.You should stay there until you learn how to be a good human being. You are nothing but the worst result of a uncaring society. For that I blame your parents. I hope you live in your own hell until you can redeem yourself in some way. As for the people who wrote that Annamarie passed a stop sign, I am sure she stopped. No one can see a speeding car!! It is Anthony Zupnick's fault that Annamarie Tromp is dead. Anthony Zupnick killed Annamarie Tromp. It was not an accident. He legally should not have been driving and morally should not have been speeding at all!!! but Never near a school. Anthony Zupnick you are a murderer.
Jan. 4, 2014, 6:06 pm
Frank from Forest Hills says:
It was a car ACCIDENTpeople. Get involved in your community and put up stop signs in the neighborhood. Don't ignorantly get involved in other peoples lives. None of us know the truth to this story except the boy in the accident. He now has to live with it and I'm sure he's life has already been ruined as well has the Tromp family. But to say that she isn't at fault for the simple reason that she's a "cautious driver" is irrational; they are both at fault here and it is for a judge to decide.
Jan. 4, 2014, 6:38 pm
Dave from Queens says:
Haters gonna hate
Jan. 4, 2014, 6:38 pm
Mrs. Brogan from Flushing says:
Originally reading this article I felt so much sorrow for mrs. Tromp & her family, especially being a primary educator myself, but after reading all of this hateful comments I can't. I cannot side with someone who affiliates with such ignorant people. Have some love in your hearts and worry about everyone's effected lives in this situation. It's not fair to solely blame one side or another. Regardless of her blowing the stop sign or him speeding or license revocations none of that matters now. It was an accident and now she's dead. Putting a young kid in jail for homicide isn't going to bring her back. The Tromp family has a son the same age as this boy Anthony and regardless of the situation no ones life at that age should be completely ruined forever for the sake of an accident. And for all of those wishing death upon this boy.. God will forgive Anthony but he will never forgive you.
Jan. 4, 2014, 6:52 pm
sad says:
It is terrible for both families but had he abided by the laws, this should not have happened.
Jan. 4, 2014, 7:11 pm
ce from flushing says:
My relative reported him to the police because of his excessive speeding on 33rd avenue. He had chances to change his ways.
Jan. 4, 2014, 7:19 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
"Accident"? SORRY but not just an accident! Someone died here! I hope they find more facts and make the right decision. Its not about revenge, its about responsiblity. If his parents never taught him, now he'll learn that lesson!
Jan. 4, 2014, 7:27 pm
Yianni from Whitestone says:
It is unacceptable to have a license suspended 9 times. Like a previous poster said, a slap on the wrist is a joke. I say 3 strikes you're out! No license should ever be issued again if you cannot respect and obey the law. Those who enabled him by allowing him to drive this vehicle should also be held accountable. This little punk was never put in his place and never taught respect and now an amazing lady has lost her life because of it.
Jan. 4, 2014, 7:32 pm
Yianni from Whitestone says:
I cannot believe this is being called an accident! This was pure recklessness! An accident would've dented Mrs Tromp's vehicle not obliterated it and killed her!
Jan. 4, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suzy from FLUSHING says:
Frank from Forest Hills you mention Annamarie's son is the same age as the "boy". He is not a boy , he is a 24 year old man that killed because he broke the law. By calling him a boy it is almost as if he is too young to be responsible for this tragedy. AND it is a tragedy...a woman died. That is tragic. It could have been avoided if ANthony Zupnick did noy break the law again by driving with a suspended license. If it was someone you loved I am sure it would be a tragedy too. I do not wish death for Anthony Zupnick , just a sentence equal to the CRIME.
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:23 pm
Justina from Whitestone says:
To Brogan from Flushing, The Tromp family is deep in mourning that was caused by Zupnick's lack of concern for other people. They are not on this site writing this stuff!! They are not affiliated with people on here. Everyone writing knows that it could have been their loved one or their child that this Zupnick killed. He was speeding by a school!!! I am sure he didn't mean to kill anyone-BUT HE DID! If he would have abided by the law Annamarie would be alive. I am sure if it was your Mom , or Child you would not be so sympathetic to the person who willfully chose to ignore the legal suspension of his license. So glad you are a primary caregiver...maybe Anthony Zupnick is a result of your insensitive, ignorant teaching.
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:32 pm
Nellie from Bayside says:
To Frank from Forest Hills ---He Was Speeding. There are no stop signs designed to stop speeding cars from crashing into other cars and killing people. His license was suspended numerous times but that didn't stop him from being on the road. This was a crime because a 24 year old man thinks he is above the law. I hope he feels the weight of his crime, but I doubt it. The neighborhood is rightfully upste about what has unnecessarily happened. I hope everyone contines to speak up. It is our right. That what this site is about . If you don't like what is being written start another site for people who believe that suspended licenses doesn't mean you can't drive.
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:46 pm
Co-worker from Whitestone says:
Justina I am with you!
And Mrs. Brogan...I am a teacher and I think you are DISGUSTING for disagreeing with the people who mourn for their friend on here and saying you have changed your feelings about Annamarie's death because she is friends with "ignorant" people. How dare you! YOU, my dear, should be ashamed of yourself and your words. People mourn differently, people are angry their friend died. If you feel differently, that is your prerogative, but don't you DARE feel less upset about my friends death. Pray to God for forgiveness for yourself! He will forgive those who mourn and say things out of devastation...he will not forgive you for being an insincere human being, both for Annamarie and her friends who miss her!
Jan. 4, 2014, 8:58 pm
Justina from Whitestone says:
Thank you Co-worker from Whitestone. I believe the posts referring to Zupnick as a boy and that this is just an accident are probably friends or relatives of Zupnick. That is probably why they think Annamarie's family is writing this . They are at the FUNERAL Home for her wake. Brogan wrote that whether she blew a stop sign or he was speeding doesn't matter-it was just an accident. It he was high as well as driving with a suspended license--then would that be manslaughter. Someone died because Zupnick was speeding in a school zone. This is a crime.
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:11 pm
Tommy S from Whitestone, NY says:
Hello everyone , you state many times this accident could of been avoided if he wasn't on the road , correct? The accident wouldn't of OCCURRED if Ms Tromp didn't go THROUGH the stop sign and yes people SHE DID go THROUGH it! This is why it was an ACCIDENT!
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:12 pm
Clark from Great neck says:
To Tommy S from Whitestone- She didn't go through the stop sign. There is no way to see a speeding car. The proof that he was speeding it that her car overturned and flipped in the air. He was speeding -no one can see a speeding car coming at 70 MPH. He has a suspended license many times over. He was speeding. He should not have been on the road and he should not have been speeding in a residential neighborhood where the speed limit is 30 and a school is nearby. It was an accident..like accidentally driving drunk and killing someone with your car. So Tommy NO Ms. Tromp did not go through the stop sign but Anthony Zupnick was driving at a igh speed with a suspended license. Those are the facts.
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:25 pm
sad says:
Someone once told me that driving was a privilege. You passed the test and got insurance. You drove safely. What happened to these standards?
Jan. 4, 2014, 9:56 pm
ce from flushing says:
To Tommy S

There is no excuse for excessive speed on 33rd Avenue and your friend drove by our house frequently at a high rate of speed when legally he should not have been driving at all.
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:14 pm
PS79 friend from Whitestone says:
The block at that intersection is 259 feet. If he was traveling at 70 mph, it would have taken him 2.52 seconds to go from one corner of the block to the other. At 80 mph, 2.2 seconds. At normal speeds, it would have taken 10 seconds a block.

At two blocks away he would have been 4.4 to 5 seconds away. There is really no way for Ms. Tromp to have seen him coming.

This tragic event was 100% HIS FAULT.

He should never have been on the road with all those suspensions. He should be charged with vehicular manslaughter and rot in jail.

Sympathies to the Tromp family.
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:20 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Tommy, just because Annamarie had a stop sign doesn't mean she "blew it". Not saying who's at fault. The point is that if he hadn't been speeding her car would of not flipped over 3 times. He as well as his family are irresponsible drivers.

Mrs Brogan... I hate to say this. But you're a pure idiot for saying we are ignorant. How dare you? You shouldn't be teaching if morals and respect aren't in your vocabulary. It's people/ teachers like you that raise children like zupnick not to care in today's world. Shame on. you!
Jan. 4, 2014, 10:40 pm
Co-worker from Whitestone says:
Tommy S, instead of coming on here saying Annanarie blew a stop sign, why don't you start saying some prayers for your CLEAR friend Anthony! He's gonna need them! And do some growing up while you're at it! You boys are not children, you are men so start acting like it! If there was a stop sign and your friend was speeding, Annamarie could have stopped and then started going because she saw no one AND because your friend was speeding, he came out of no where, which made it too late!
Let's discuss AGAIN why your friend was driving with a suspended license?!?!???? Why don't you explain that to all of us on your friend's behalf TOMMY!
Jan. 4, 2014, 11:11 pm
Co-worker from Whitestone says:
Tommy , yes it was an accident. The point is if your friend was not speeding she wouldn't of died.
Jan. 5, 2014, 12:04 am
Yianni from Whitestone says:
Tommy S, you are a mental midget, probably close buds with Anthony Z. just because she passed the stop sign, doesn't mean she blew it. she probably didn't see anyone coming and she went but when someone comes barreling down the street like a maniac, he gains ground real fast. This was no accident, this was pure criminal behavior on that idiot's part. Hope he rots in jail!
Jan. 5, 2014, 8:06 am
Tommy S from Whitestone, ny says:
Enough with the name calling please. My mother who lives on the block witnessed the accident and Ms Tromp never stopped to even look. Regardless of whether or not she saw him coming, she went straight through. They stated she had a heart attack. Maybe she was having a heart attack and this is why she went straight through the stop sign. Let's wait until they investigate this. I do not know either party but I'm seeing all these horrible comments when nobody has seen the accident. I am very familiar with that street the boy Zupnick is not the first one to be speeding on 33rd ave and this is not the first accident on that street.
Jan. 5, 2014, 12:03 pm
Vinny from Flushing says:
All of you sticking up for this POS get your ugly heads out of the sand. Tromps car was flipped over and had its passanger side pushed almost to the drivers side. A car going thirty miles an hour THE SPEED LIMIT does not do that type of damage. Put this —— in jail for a while let him think about what he did.
My prayers are with the two boys left without a Mom.
Jan. 5, 2014, 12:31 pm
Clara from Bayside says:
To Tommy- There were no witnesses. You are lying when you write your mother witnessed the accident. If Annamarie died of a heart attack it was caused by the car flipping her car in mid air. Zupnick is not the only one who speeds up side streets, but he was the only one with a license which has been suspended 9 times who sped that afternoon and killed a woman. Look at her driving record then look at his. She was a responsible person driving home. Zupnick is in violation of the law { numerous times} and was speeding and killed that woman. You are a lying or are a friend/relative of Zupnick's. First you write she passed the stop sign so it was her fault and now you write she had a heart attack so it is her fault. ZUPNICK WAS SPEEDING-that killed Annamarie. There is nothing you can write that changes that fact. His speeding on 33 ave killed a woman.
Jan. 5, 2014, 12:35 pm
ck from Flushing says:
Tommy .. the actions taken by Zupnick are not defendable. No license, his mother's car, speeding, possibly under the influence of drugs, etc. AnnaMarie was not having a heart attack? There is zero truth to that. Your friend was arrested at the scene and is going to face some very serious charges. You need to stop your BS. Why don't you take a ride down to the 109th Precinct and take a look at what is left of Annamaries car. If that doesn't give you a reality check and chills nothing will. Cars don't implode at impact when driving at the limit. Of course he should not have been on the road but you don't seem to get that either.
Jan. 5, 2014, 12:50 pm
Brynn from Bayside says:
how many grown women do you know driving a souped-up 3 series BMW? the car may have been in his mother's name, but that was because she had it registered for his dirtbag son. Lord knows no respectable insurance company would give him insurance with no license. She is just as guilty for causing Mrs Tromps death by enabling her son.
Jan. 5, 2014, 1:09 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
Ok so lets say she was having a" heart attack". Anybody in their right mind and speed would have observed this while driving and oh I dont know, maybe slow down and turn away from the other car! NOT slam right into it and claim you didnt see her coming!! Theres a traffic light right in front if where this happened. Maybe it was green and he was focused on trying to pass it that he didnt see her. People like this dont deserve this privledge of driving. It could have been anyone. Reality is speeding caused the turnover/death. Didnt they recently announce that actor paul walkers car was going apx100m??!!
Jan. 5, 2014, 1:11 pm
ps79mom from whitestone says:
If he lives with parents and they knew, shame on them! Like someone earlier said, he shouldve been on a bus that day, not a car!
Jan. 5, 2014, 1:14 pm
Tommy S from Whitestone, ny says:
Clara. Reread my post I stated " maybe she had a heart attack that could be why she didn't stop at all" Read correctly please and whether you like it or not people saw what happened and Zupnick immediately out of his car and went straight to Annmarie.
Jan. 5, 2014, 3:13 pm
ce from flushing says:
Tommy s

Why was he driving?. His license was suspended. He had no right to be driving.
There in no way you can justify that he was driving a car. He showed no regard for the law.
Jan. 5, 2014, 3:26 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Tommy, whether she was or wasn't having a heart attack or if she passed the stop sign it is not what caused her car to flip. It was his speed. He should of not been speeding.
Speed kills. That is the point...
Jan. 5, 2014, 3:42 pm
On the scene from Neighbor says:
Zupnick did not approach her car after the accident.
We were the first of 4 people on the scene
No one-not a single person witnessed the crash
We all heard the impact and saw once the car was already flipped
Stop lying and saying you were witness to the accident
No one saw it. NO ONE
Jan. 5, 2014, 4:13 pm
Person from Flushing says:
Tommy... If you don't know either party then how do you know she had a heart attack? And how did your mother witness her go through the stop sign and "not even look" when no one was at the scene? If you don't know facts, don't lie. No one is saying who passed what. Everyone is just saying that he was speeding and that caused her car to flip. That's a "fact". And the " fact" that his license was suspended 9 times, clearly shows that he is a disrespectful driver with no regards to the law and should clearly not have been driving. So what ever you want to say and blame Annamarie for " passing" a stop sign is irrelevant as to why he was speeding and it's just "hot air" coming out of your mouth. It's pos's like that cause people to get hurt, die and have insurance rates go up. So take your comments and put them in a hot air
balloon.
Jan. 5, 2014, 4:44 pm
Martha from Flushing says:
So sorry,My LOVE and prayers are with you and your family. I remember you well for many years , So sweet.
Jan. 5, 2014, 4:45 pm
mary from flushing says:
Supposedly there are no actual witnesses reported so how all of a sudden "witnesses" appear on this page??
Jan. 5, 2014, 6:15 pm
Mary Jane from Bayside says:
People who know Zupnick and his family are not only not accepting any fault in this tragedy but are also trying to blame the poor dead victim. I guess that was how Zupnick is able to drive at deadly speed. He is surrounded by enablers. Well Anthony Zupnick Killed a woman while speeding uninsured with a suspended license. How do you spin that so Zupnick come outs not smelling like the murderer he is!
Jan. 5, 2014, 7:05 pm
Friend from Flushing says:
Mary Jane... The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He KILLED Annamarie because he was speeding. Speeding!!!!
Jan. 5, 2014, 7:17 pm
Susan from North Flushing says:
I just want to say something. I have know Annemarie in the neighborhood for sometime now. Annemarie was beautiful. The kind of woman you take a second look at. She always had a friendly smile and we often waved to each other. She would pass my house with her walking and greet me and my two puppies. She would stop and talk about girlie stuff. We would meet up at the deli or the nail place and she would always greet me. I was motivated by her kindness and thoughtfulness. I had told Annemarie that I was on a diet and overtime lost all my weight. She always encouraged me and tol me how great I was looking.
Dear Annemarie thank you for you sweet time on this earth and touching me in so many ways. You were an angel on earth and now your an angel in heaven.

I will miss you......
Jan. 5, 2014, 8:07 pm
Anon from Flushing says:
Zupnick was always a punk and drugged up. This clown took someone life, the community is up in arms. He's going to without a doubt get hit with vehicular man slaughters and serve some time behind bars.

Time to lawyer up
Jan. 5, 2014, 9:18 pm
Friend from Whitestone says:
Dear Annamarie,

You touched so many people's lives here on earth. You were a great person. May God forgive your sins and accept you in heaven.
You will be missed dearly.
Good bye my friend until we meet again in heaven.
Jan. 5, 2014, 11:13 pm
PS 79 colleague from Whitestone says:
This social deviant should have attended Annamarie's wake today. He needed to see the overwhelming numbers of loving friends and family mourning for her.
AND....he should have viewed all the sweet photos/video of her life illustrating what a wonderful daughter, mother, sister, teacher and friend she was.

MAYBE....this would have made an impression on his soul.

He and his parents need to be made accountable for this senseless death. I hope he goes to JAIL!!!!
Jan. 5, 2014, 11:16 pm
Lester Turpin from Lake George NY says:
This was my cousin that was killed.
I move first to remove the Judge who allowed this obviously dangerous driver to have kept his license, even though he was a hazard to society. I will be looking into how to do this and take the time to campaign for this Judges removal.
Secondly, I will petition the Courts to give the maximum sentence allowed by law to this individual, who is obviously a danger not only to society, but to the entire neighborhood in which he drives in. There are too many children living in such a tight knight neighborhood to have such a dangerous and reckless individual driving at leisure.
Thirdly, now I will be coming back to a neighborhood in which I know so well. It is easy to hire a private Detective to know your everyday actions. You have opened a gigantic can of worms .
Jan. 6, 2014, 4:31 am
Lester Turpin from Lake George NY says:
Oh, BTW, I now have your foto. It will be circulated umonst certain groups. You just can't hid.
Jan. 6, 2014, 4:45 am
Sq from Flushing says:
I have stop signs on both my corners, we always have accidents because people for whatever reason go through the stop signs. Most of our accidents have occurred at 30 or 40 mph. Everyone has walked away with maybe a few scratches. Accidents happen every day that's nothing new. What is unspeakable is the speed this guy was travelling at. He turned his into a weapon when he decided to travel at that crazy illegal speed with no license.
Jan. 6, 2014, 6:43 am
A.T. from Whitestone says:
As a P.S. 79 parent I cannot imagine the grief right now as family and friends are at mass for Ms. Tromp's funeral. I cannot imagine as well being the students from this year's Pre-K class that had to learn way too early the tragedy of seeing someone who they trusted daily with their safety and feelings and lives be taken away so quickly. These kids left for the holidays after having said their goodbye's to Ms. Tromp and she was probably looking forward to seeing those little ones today after all those days apart as much as they were her. I cannot imagine any of this being anything other than senseless. She did not deserve to die so violently in a neighborhood where she taught her children to live gently and to love gently. What Mr. Zupnick did is just plain wrong. The way he was raised is just plain wrong. What Ms. Tromp tried to do in life is to teach what was right. As the Ball dropped last week in Times Square my little son who knew and grew with Ms. Tromp turned to me and said very innocently "It is a shame Ms. Tromp didn't get to see 2014". May God Bless her today as she is being taken to her resting place. She did a lot for the children she helped raise. Thanks Ms. Tromp for being a great teacher and person all around.
Jan. 6, 2014, 10:31 am
Concerned from Flushing from Flushing says:
What a tragedy for Annamarie her family friends. The Wrong person died in this crash not an accident. Zupnick should be held totally responsible he should serve the maximum amount of time which in this state is to short. Hopefully he will make a bunch of very very close friends in prison. They like little weasels like this. His family is just as responsible mom and dad did not know he had a susended license yeah right. They probably treated little Anthony like he was a Prince all his life. Having lived in the area all my life it is clear there are many ——s like Little Anthony running around the neighborhood. Its like you take your life in your hands when you walk or drive these streets. Most of the idiots are in mom and dads Mercedes or BMW driving like they own the road without a care in the world. This tragedy will happen again and again and it will always be the innocent party that suffers the most. When little Anthony gets out of prison his mom and dad will have a new car waiting for him that is guaranteed.
I advance of all of you that dont like this message kiss my ass.
Today they buried Annamarie think about that for a while.
Jan. 6, 2014, 11:14 am
Ps 79 com member from Whitestone says:
I am deeply saddened to have heard about Ms Tromp. She was a preK teacher for 3 of my children. To say she was a sweet, kind, uplifting person is saying the least about her. My oldest is now 19 and when I were to see her in the neighborhood stores she would always ask how he was doing and what the other children were up to. I will never forget her beautiful smile, her kind ways, and the love that poured out of her. I will also remember the love that she had for her boys and how proud she was of them
Jan. 6, 2014, 12:14 pm
Bessie from Flushing says:
You would think the Zupnick family would at least release a statement saying that they were sorry for this tragedy. They are probably sitting back blaming the victim instead of smacking the —— out of their idiot son. Then again, had they punished him for being a delinquent all these years, Mrs Tromp would still be alive. Shame on you Zupnick family!
Jan. 6, 2014, 4 pm
Angel from Corona says:
I think you guys should all stop. Please be respectful. I knew her and she was a line soul that deserved better. I think as people we believe that casting blame will make us feel better and it won't. The tragedy here is that a wonderful person was taken from her family and friends. The other tragedy is that this "kid" obviously was not taught any lessons in responsibility from his parents. One way or another he will be judged by god and no one else. I know she is in heaven watching over all who knew her. God bless her family at this painful time.
Jan. 6, 2014, 6:38 pm
Clara from Bayside says:
We are speaking our minds and what we feel in our hearts. Writing that zupnick is a piece of slime doesn't hurt him but lets us vent. It is our right to vent and he is to blame.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:08 pm
Heather from Whitestone says:
To Angel from Corona-of whom should we be respectful? Of zupnick or his family? Why? Are we going to hurt Zupnick's feeling? Oh we wouldn't want that. He seems like an unstanding 24 year old guy......OH NO HE DOESN"T!!!! This is a site for opinions and the general consensus is zupnick was directly responsible for the death of Annamarie and having his license suspended numeous times did nothing to make this man think about what he was doing behind the wheel. If he had been driving drunk he would be put away. Well he was driving unsafely and illegally-put him away.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:14 pm
Saddened from Flushing says:
Again, we see what entitlement and an above the law attitude does. 9 times? That's 9 times too many. This was not a boy, as someone else claimed. He's a grown man. With absolutely no sense of responsibility or shame. We don't know all the facts. Was he texting? I wouldn't be surprised. On drugs? Don't know. Did Ms. Tromp blow a stop sign? Could have. Don't know her. But it doesn't sound like her personality. But the fact is this...he was NOT supposed to be driving. He was NOT supposed to be behind the wheel of an automobile. He was NOT supposed to be on the road. He broke the law. Continuously. With ZERO consequences. And this time, he killed someone. He killed a teacher. He killed a daughter. He killed a mother. Anyone who thinks he is the victim needs a serious psychological evaluation. Shame on you.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:14 pm
Rocco from Whitestone says:
If you don't like what is being written -don't read it. I agree this is the forum to speak out . Lord knows no one will be heard once Zupnick's lawyers are at bat. The victim will be vilified and the driver will come off as a saint. The family of the victim deserves respect-not the man who killed her.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:17 pm
Angelina from Flushing says:
I agree with you 100% saddened in Flushing. Zupnick needs consequences and not just to have his license suspended again. We know how well he abides the law. If he had run down a child crossing the street because he was speeding everyone would agree-send him to jail. Well if he doesn't get real punishment this time---that could be next.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:21 pm
Saddened from Flushing says:
As for Ms. Tromp, rest in peace. Your colleagues in the teaching community mourn for you. We lost a good one. We lost a compassionate, kind, and inspiring educator. I could say that maybe if Anthony Zupnick had more people like you in his life, things would be different.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:24 pm
Siobhan from Little Neck says:
I hope a T.V reporter picks up this story. I hope this story nevers dies down until the criminal -Anthony Zupnick- goes to jail for vehicular manslaughter! An accident is when there is a fender bender-not when someone is driving a car illegally, recklessly and kills someone.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:25 pm
Seth from Bayside says:
Why is everyone calling this 24 year old man a boy, a kid?? Maybe that is one of the reasons he doesn't realize there are repercussions to his reckless, selfish behavior.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:27 pm
Jorge from Corona says:
To Lester Turpin I am sorry for the loss of your cousin. My youngest daughter had her in pre-k and she was one of the most wonderful, caring, genuine teachers I have ever met . It is a great loss to that school and to all the students that would have had Ms. Tromp in their lives. I can imagine how sad you are, but, you shouldn't write anything threatening-at all. You may get in trouble and the only one who should get trouble is her killer-anthony zupnick. I am not telling you what to do but out of respect for Ms. Tromp I would hate to see a member of her family get in trouble for writing what I am sure so many people feel...but know tha writing that kind of thing could make him seem like a victim. I hope you find peace one day my friend.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:34 pm
ck from Flushing says:
No one should stop advocating for Annamarie. As many people as possible need to keep writing and voicing their outrage over this. Not only on this site but to the judge and DA as well. I am hopeful that everyone will stay connected and within a few days we will be able to find out the name of the District Attorney who has been assigned this case. The community must come together and demand the maximum sentence. Yes, people are angry as they should be. An innocent woman's life was taken in a matter of seconds not because of an "accident" but because of pure recklessness, arrogance and no sense of respect for laws or life.
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:37 pm
parent from whitestone says:
Seth- maybe he is referred to as a "boy" simply because of his young age and ignorance and for that reason we are forced to look at what he was taught by his parent. Is he a "man" living on his own or a 24 yr living under his parents house still??

you would think if he was a man he would show himself, apologize and take responsibility. It sounds like he is quite immature but ultimately i agree with you: 24 is an adult and he should be charged as one!
So many questions, little answers...
Jan. 6, 2014, 9:10 pm
Parent from Whitestone says:
An apology? What exactly would an apology do? Granted, mistakes happen and you apologize for them and expect to be forgiven. This was not a mistake. This was NOT an accident but a murder.
When you are raised by people not to respect anyone or anything, then you have no remorse for what you did and they don't deserve to be called parents.
Whether it was Annamarie or someone else, an innocent life was lost because of his selflessness. He is old enough to know right from wrong. If his parents allowed him to drive their car, then they are at fault just as much as he is. If everyone in the neighborhood knew the type of sh_t he is then his parents knew too.
It's with a broken heart we say good bye to a beautiful person.
Rest in peace Annamarie.
Jan. 6, 2014, 11 pm
RS from Flushing says:
We as friends, neighbors, colleagues and family will not let Annamarie die in vain. We WILL advocate for her and make sure that people with a suspended license get the message. At what point do they learn? After the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc., he learned nothing other than to think he is above the law. I got into an accident on 45th avenue 8 years ago with a woman plowing into me at 30mph and it didn't even warrant a trip to the doctors office and caused minimal damage to my car. Zupnick without a license and driving at such a high speed used his 2,500 lb. car as a bullet. Are we angry? You bet we are. How can we not be?

Yesterday, my friend and neighbor was put to rest. Looking into the eyes of her sons, sister and father tore my heart. I only hope in time that the grief will subside and their hearts can heal. In the meantime, I will be with them to make sure justice is served. Annamarie, I will miss you dearly. Hugs and Kisses to heaven for both you and your mom.
Jan. 7, 2014, 9:30 am
someone from flushimg says:
Annamarie was a wonderful and loving person. May her souls be rest in peace....
Jan. 7, 2014, 3:53 pm
Beautiful Finale from North Flushing says:
The funeral mass at St. Andrew's was beautiful. The packed congregation was a living testimony to how many lives Annamaria has touched. Her sister's eulogy was sincere - straight from the heart - an incredible bond - very close family. It was obvious that Annamaria was loved and will be missed by everyone who came to know her.
Jan. 7, 2014, 5:03 pm
sophia from bayside says:
This just broke my heart cause because of the jerk those kids will grow up without their mom..He should be killed for what he did...May she rip and my prayer go out to her family..god bless their heart
Jan. 7, 2014, 8:15 pm
Angel from Corona says:
Thank you for letting us know how beautiful the funeral mass was Beatiful Finale. She was such a Beatiful kind person. I only knew her for a short period but will always remember her smile forever.
Jan. 8, 2014, 2:01 am
Alex from Whitestone says:
Anybody have any info in regards to February 3rd at queens criminal court for anthony zupnick? All the people that knew Ms. Tromp and really care about her family's outcome we should all show up to court that date.
Jan. 8, 2014, 2:37 am
A.T. from Whitestone says:
To keep current on Anthony Zupnick's appearance in court on Feb. 3, all you have to do is log in to the following (you can cut/paste into your browser) https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcrim_attorney/AttorneyWelcome
Or, if that link doesn't work you can get to the information from the main NY Court System page at https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain and follow instructions for public users.
Then follow the instructions for putting in the code to the left, click Agree, then do a search for Anthony Zupnick as defendant. Seems as if he is being represented by Legal Aid and will be appearing on Feb. 3 at the Queens Criminal Court (120-46 Queens Blvd, Kew Gardens).
Jan. 8, 2014, 9:59 am
HAS from Flushing says:
Thank you A.T. For sharing that info. We should all go to this court date as we know, there is strength in numbers. We should also fight for a four way stop sign at this intersection. I have lived on this block for close to 30 years, and there has been numerous accidents on this corner,as people are rushing to and from the light on Utopia Pkwy. Also the 4 way stop sign should be memorialized in her name and honor. May you rest in peace , the only thing I can think of is, heaven must have needed another angel.......
Jan. 8, 2014, 10:44 am
PARENT from WHITESTONE says:
HAS---i agree with you ALL THE WAY!! its the least we can do.
Jan. 8, 2014, 10:52 am
A.T. from Whitestone says:
Here is a suggestion. If you phone the Council members for Whitestone, District 19 and Flushing, District 20, you will be able to see if representatives are aware of Ms. Tromp’s death and what they might be doing to better protect the streets from drivers like Zupnick. District 19 is now run by Paul Vallone (website: http://council.nyc.gov/d19/html/members/home.shtml) and District 20 is run by Peter Koo (website: http://council.nyc.gov/d20/html/members/home.shtml). Also, if you phone or email the reporter of this exact article above, Alex Robinson (email:arobinson@cnglocal.com; phone: 718-260-4566) you can ask if he or another reporter will be present on Feb. 3 when Zupnick goes before the judge. Having District leaders or local reporters involved will make a huge difference in getting things done to protect the community and to help Ms. Tromp’s family.
Jan. 8, 2014, 1:05 pm
Chris from WhiteStone parent says:
Anyone know what Anthony Zupni was charged with ?
Feb. 8, 2014, 5:32 pm
Parent from Whitestone says:
Nothing yet. New court appearance march 3rd.
Feb. 9, 2014, 1:21 am
Whitestone mom says:
Any news on the court date today ?
March 3, 2014, 3:10 pm
Angel from Corona says:
Any new info on what the charges were?
March 10, 2014, 4:48 pm
seila from flushing.ny says:
Zupnick lost father today...im sure all will b happy...now lets stop the hate...I pray for the teacher n his father.
April 22, 2014, 2:51 pm
parent from whitestone says:
Seila... Just because he lost his father doesn't mean we'll be happy. You're an idiot for even saying that. One thing has nothing to do with another.
May 18, 2014, 11:47 pm
Alexis from Flushing says:
We are thinking of you Annamarie & your family today, the one year anniversary of the accident. RIP
Dec. 31, 2014, 12:52 am
Alexis Farber from Happened in front of my house says:
Thinking of you today Annamarie
Sending love to your family
Dec. 31, 2016, 3:19 pm