Mother arrested in baby’s death: NYPD

Police tape blocks off the home on 52nd Avenue, where an 11-month-old baby was found dead. Photo by Christina Santucci

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

ELMHURST — The mother of an 11-month-old boy, who was found dead in her Elmhurst apartment, was arrested Monday after she allegedly admitted to authorities that she suffocated the child, police said.

“I reached my breaking point, I didn’t want him anymore,” Nicole Kelly, 22, allegedly told police, according to the Queens district attorney’s office.

The baby, identified as Kiam Felix Jr., was not breathing when police arrived at the home after responding to a 911 call Sunday afternoon, according to cops.

The young mother allegedly covered Kiam’s face with a bed sheet and watched him struggle to breathe before leaving him alone for 30 minutes, the DA’s office said.

The boy was blue and unresponsive by the time she returned to him, according to the DA’s office.

After she was questioned by the NYPD, Kelly was charged with second-degree murder, police said.

A lawyer representing the toddler’s family said relatives wanted to thank those who offered their thoughts and prayers for Kiam and called Kelly “troubled.”

“We are devastated, confused and saddened by this unimaginable tragedy,” attorney Brian King wrote in a statement on behalf of the baby’s father and other family members. “Little Kiam was less than a year old and had everything to look forward to in life. He was beautiful and beloved by all.”

The city’s medical examiner’s office had not determined the official cause and manner of Kiam’s death as of Wednesday evening.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

peach from los angeles says:
I'm filled with sorrow for that beautiful boy but I'm more full of hate for her, was not her place to take that babies life and make him suffer, now may she suffer in hell on earth as well as under it.
July 10, 2014, 12:45 pm
Haley from PA says:
Rest in peace little angel... many prayers to the family during this difficult time.
July 10, 2014, 1:51 pm
Linda from Queens says:
I am soooo mad right now I can't believe that someone would do this to a child! I hate her and my prayers go out to her family!
July 10, 2014, 9:41 pm
Linda from Queens says:
Sorry to his family! I don't give a —— about her! Die slowly ——
July 10, 2014, 9:42 pm
retta from phila says:
Rip bby boy my she het everything thats coming to her
July 10, 2014, 9:56 pm
retta from phila says:
My prayer to the family he n a better place she will get whats coming ameen
July 10, 2014, 9:58 pm
tay from phila pa says:
Prayers go out to the family sleep well baby boy
July 10, 2014, 10 pm
Lasaundra from blackdog says:
I sadden for all party; one if we say we a man of god we can't hate her we have to pray for her as well .she sick because only a sick person would have done that So lets try to help the families by praying and help them in this difficult time.��✌✋��������������
July 12, 2014, 3:48 pm
Demi from Mo. City Texas says:
Lord I pray that you strengthen this family through this tragedy. The devil is so busy in many, many ways. Cover them lord in your eternal love & protection. Lord touch that young mother & cleanse all the sickning & demonic demons from her body which made her take her own sons life. In Jesus name I pray.
AMEN
July 17, 2014, 1:14 am
Maria from Mariners Harbor says:
Babies are not like items yoy buy and decide to throw it out or take it back to the store. The mother is evil she could have made arramgements for the baby to be with someone to care for him. Where is mom's soul?
Aug. 16, 2014, 4:13 pm