Oakland Gardens teen ID’d in LIE crash

Jennifer Gao and Jason Lueng were killed in a one-car crash on the Long Island Expressway.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

A 16-year-old Oakland Gardens girl who died in a car crash on the Long Island Expressway in Flushing early Tuesday morning was identified by police as Jennifer Gao.

The 19-year-old driver was identified as Jiahao Ling, of Middletown, N.Y., police said.

The pair were traveling westbound in an Audi sedan on the expressway when the car hurtled off the road, tipped over and ran into a tree, according to police.

Gao, who was in the passenger seat, and Ling were unconscious and unresponsive when authorities arrived, and both were pronounced dead at the site of the crash by Emergency Medical Services, the NYPD said.

The crash totaled the car, which was bent in half where it hit the tree.

Gao, who attended Benjamin Cardozo High School, according to her Facebook page, had posted a message and photos implying she would be going to Kissa Bar, a Flushing restaurant and bar, at 133-42 37th Ave, the night of the crash.

The message said she had not had gone out in a long time as she had a toothache.

Friends took to social media to express their grief when the news of her death spread and identified the driver as Gao’s boyfriend, Jason Lueng, but the spelling of his name did not match what police released.

A St. Francis Prep High School student tweeted about the pair, “Rest in peace Jason Lueng and Jennifer Gao. God rest their souls.”

“I miss this girl,” Ronak Domadia said in a Facebook post Wednesday. “In freshman year we were in the same English class and I would get in to small funny fights for no reason. RIP Jennifer Gao. You will always be in my heart. I will never be able to forget you.”

A man who answered the door at Gao’s home Wednesday morning refused to comment.

A Police Department spokesman said speed was likely a factor in the accident, which occurred between the Utopia Parkway and Kissena Boulevard exits, but the investigation was ongoing.

Sports Editor Joseph Staszewski contributed additional reporting to this story.

Reach reporter Alex Robinson by e-mail at arobinson@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like TimesLedger on Facebook.

gh from queens says:
Wonder how fast they were driving.
Feb. 20, 2014, 6:30 am
Not so safe from Queens says:
Audi commercials show how safe they are in the snow. Guess not when a 19 year old is driving. Driving age should match drinking and smoking age, move it up to 21.
Feb. 20, 2014, 1:13 pm
Good grief from Queens says:
Spoiled kids driving luxury cars. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET
Feb. 20, 2014, 2:27 pm
Somebody from Flushing says:
A lot of my friends knew the girl.
Feb. 20, 2014, 5:27 pm
p from Bayside says:
RIP: Jennifer. Fast Traveler. Those who knew you will not forget you.
Feb. 20, 2014, 9:39 pm
Jason is stupid from Brooklyn says:
Why would Jason drive while he's intoxicated. Nowadays there's too many underaged drinkers. Owners and security guards aren't as strict as the past because they make money from all the minors.
Feb. 21, 2014, 2:05 am
Ralph from Kew Gardens says:
Heartbreaking, sincere condolences to the family. Speed kills, unfortunately we cannot turn back the clock. Too young
Feb. 21, 2014, 6:22 am
chucky from Flushing says:
It's very sad to see two young ems deceased. RIP

I'm just glad they didn't mow down any of the innocent in the process this time.
Feb. 21, 2014, 12:41 pm
Sfp senior says:
Jason went to my high school. He was part of the senior graduating class of 2014. I'm a senior as well but I didn't really know him although I've seen him in the hallways and sat at the same lunch table with him before. I can't believe another member of our graduating class is dead. Last year, well 2012, it was Daniel Fernandez, now him.
Feb. 21, 2014, 4:14 pm
You deserve it from College point says:
Stupid ass kids... you deserved it.... Drunk driving, under age drinking. Parasites of the society.
Feb. 21, 2014, 10:13 pm
black ice probable culprit from College Point says:
the nature of the snow last week was such that it was SLIPPERY when it was still snow and not yet slush, then the slush was slippery and then of course, the black ice

but I think the background of these two poor kids does highlight the problem of parents being too lenient with kids they really shouldn't be driving at that age, shouldn't be going out late, shouldn't be driving in bad weather conditions, shouldn't be lending their cars to friends ... I wish this accident hadn't happened.
Feb. 22, 2014, 8:31 am
The Reaper from Jamaica says:
Please take driving seriously around here! There are consequences.
Feb. 24, 2014, Noon
broken hearted from Bayside says:
This is heartbreaking. No 19 year old should be "dating" a 16 year old and if it is allowed they should not be out at no earlier morning going out. But sadly it is too late for that.

My sister goes to Benjamin Cardozo. A friend of hers knew Jennifer. Very said. Such a beautiful girl to die such a horrible way. Same with Jason.. handsome boy dying such a violent death...

May they rest in peace and their families pull through..
Feb. 25, 2014, 9:34 pm
Thriden says:
She was in my chem class but i never spoke to her i feel somewhat like a prick
Feb. 26, 2014, 11:41 pm
dozo sudent from queens says:
I have known Jennifer for a couple of years and I didn't want to comment during the time because I was so heart broken. Jennifer was an amazing person and was always there for me. I can't believe she is gone with her boyfriend but may she rest in peace. I will always love and miss you Jennifer ♡♡♡ 46 - 74 - dozo. I'm glad you were in my life ♡♡♡
April 6, 2014, 11:51 pm
Nicole from Loved her says:
I'm so sorry she's my sister I loved her
Oct. 28, 2014, 7:01 pm